Your Opinions Please!!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cherrysoda

Reaction score
Hello me lovely geekies!!:green:

I just wanted to get some opinions on a salon location i spotted whilst in the car today!!!

What it Looks like:
Right its a little shop with a large glass window (almost top to bottom) on a row of about 4.

Location: (Lol ive never been good at explaining locations but ill try:lol:)

Its kindof in between two large towns so it has alot of cars passing through and is on a bus route but no really walking past trade as such. There is also a crossing (the one where you press the button to make the lights change) almost directly outside as there is a college/ tech 200 meters down the road so all the students use it to cross.

Its the first in a row of 4. Next door (to the right) is a little clothes shop (designerie i think) then theres a little sandwich shop and then something else (cant remember what tho).

There is a petrol station with a spar type shop inside on the corner (the left) of the shop but u cant see it from within the shop!

There is also a lovely little white washed church 150 meters to the left too (thought good for the wedding trade).

There is another nail bar about 2 miles away but she has been doing them for years and has a large client base of her own and a beauty salon (dont think she does nails tho) about a mile the other way!

Oh and there is also a kiddies nursery round the corner and a golf club.

Im not sure what the rent is yet as i have literally just noticed it.

Right ive gone on enough!!

Please let me know what YOU would think of the location and if you would be tempted by it????

xxxxx Sarah xxxxx

Sounds like an excellent location to me. The good points as I see them..

- Between two towns so you can advertise in both
- On a bus route
- The pelican crossing outside, people have to stop at so they will notice you
- High student population
- Windows always a plus

I'd definitely look into it a little further. Maybe book an appointment to view it and see whether it would be big enough for your needs.

:hug:

what I would suggest is check the noise factor, you may find the beeping of the crossing very noisy and irritating, the students crossing the road may be loud.

If you can, spend a couple of hours in the venue to check this noise level.

Thanks guys!!

Hehe i like the idea of a stake out lol

I didnt even think about the beeping to be honest, forgot they did that!!

Its only small - i could probably fit a little reception desk and my new nail desk - ive got the same one as christine (urban geek) and some nice shelving to display products!!

I think im gonna ring the number tomorrow to arrange a viewing (its advertised privately)!

xx

I am in a similar position to you- I have noticed an empty sunbed shop in the village I grew up in ( closed 2 weeks ago). Do I look into renting it?? even though I have no funds to back it up?? Is it possible without funds behind you?? Can I get a loan?? Is it a risk?? Questions, questions! Have you done any market research on the area? Thanks x:)

Hay Doolittle,

Hehe im in the same boat! Dont really have any money but i have some sunbed tubes i think i can sell for £500 (i paid £1,400 but never used them lol).

Theres no harm in going to look at the propert if you are interested.
you need to get an appointment with the agents to go and see the property and ask questions you might have.

If its cheap to rent and in good order and you think it might be a good shop for you, you need to (like hippy chick said) spend a couple of hours outside checking out the passing trade and maybe stopping women and asking them if they would visit the shop if it was open. you also need to do a profit and loss forecast to see if the figures add up and whether it is going to make any money (these figures need to be as accuret as you can get them) and a business plan.

You can try and get a business loan form a good bank like Lloyds or barcleys. Halifax do business banking too but its all over the phone, which i think is rather rubbish as i like to know who im dealing with and its just easier to explain things face to face. So pick one where there is a business advisor in the branch.
You will need to take your business plan and profit and loss forecast in with you to the bank.

If you get the go ahead for a loan you need to contact a solicitor to look at the contract incase ist dodgy!

You usually have to pay a month to 3 months rent up front and think about costs like a new sign, decorating, advertising, a phone line being re connected, stock, reception area etc.

And finally YES all business ventures have a risk involved, believe me i know as i am Banckrupt as we speak (from my 2nd sunbed shop where dodgy people wouldnt sign the lease over after i gave them £10,000 and had another £20,000 worth of sunbeds on loan that i couldnt pay or give back:o:cry: ) But its not the end of the world ive learnt the hard way and im quite happy to start all over again (which i can now do - hence the interest in the above shop:green:)

Any more questions please feel free to ask me
(my first salon was a success and i sold it at a proffit just incase u might think im a complete failier:o)

Hope this has helped a bit!!! xxxxxxxxx Sarah xxxxxxxx

Hi Sarah, that was very helpful, thank you! I need to make an appointment with my local business start up people as I do not have a clue where to start on a financial forecast etc! Im not a 'business' woman, but I can do my treatments well! Thanks for now. Hope it all works out with you! Keep you posted x:)

Glad it was a help!
Yeah my local business startup poeple were really helpfull too and showed me how to do all my profit and loss stuff!
Good luck, i hope it all goes really well. Id love to hear the outcome. xx

Latest posts

Back