Your thoughts pls?Rent Room/Deposit/Decorating?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hev

Reaction score
Hi All,
Well i got the room i was going for for 550 per month rather than 700. the room is quite small and in need of kitting out and a lick of paint/wallpaper.

The owner has asked for 550 deposit upon signing the contract. Obviously i need to read through the contract first. I think 550 is on a 6 months contract as thats part of the verbal agreement to intially reduce... however i couldnt pay anywhere near to 700 as it would be crazy to.

I have mentioned about starting 1st dec... so would plan to spend nov getting everything done in there, however she has asked me to pay the rent from the day i begin decorating...i.e on a daily rate.

I think this may be unfeasable. As obviously on those days i wouldnt be able to earn as i wouldnt be working id be decorating.

whats your thoughts?

I know this is completely your decision chick, I wouldn't pay the £550 up front before even being able to take money from treatments.

I do think that for a very small room £550 is a lot of money, I don't even pay that for a whole salon with large treatment room, spray tan room, reception and nail room, kitchen and toilet, I know that I have extra payments on top of this but they are not very much more than the £700 this lady originally quoted you.

Before you finally sign your contract, are you completely sure that you are going to have the footfall necessary to make your business viable. Try sitting somewhere close to the salon but out of view so that you can judge this at different times of the day.

Personally, I woud've walked away but I am cautious Annie!!

550 for a room in a good salon is ok. My only question is why you are delaying starting till the 1st Dec? It takes us 2 days to refurb a beauty room from scratch.(we do each of ours every other year). Would you not be better to get in quick and begin earning? Once you sign, the salon owner cannot use the room, so I can understand her wanting payment. I cant understand you expecting a month free use of the room while you paint it.

Hi,

Im sure youv'e done all your sums and worked out whether the room is worth the rent, has lots of potential trade etc etc. Prices and values range wildly over the country and what would be extorsion to one person is peanuts to another. paying a deposit up front is nothing unsual, landlords want some sort of guarentee and security if you were to trash the room etc or leave without notice. but you need to find out how it will work, will it just be a month up front so you pay a month ahead all the time? will it be a pure deposit, payable back to you once you have either completed your term or used it for the last months rent? etc, etc. you need to be comfortable on how ever it will work as your the one under taking it.

As far as paying rent from the very start goes, its difficult to say as there are no set rules. After all you can't rent a house and only begin paying once youv'e got it up to standard, it would be a nice gesture on her part to offer you a weeks grace to allow you to fit it out.

All you can do is put it forward to her, thats what negotiating is for. I'm sure in the scheme of things she would oblige you a free week rather than loose that long term money for this current climate

If you don't take a chance it may never happen

HTH's :)

I personally would expect the room to be decorated by the salon owner. Obviously I wouldn't be expecting top of the range decor but Id want at least a fresh coat of paint, any extra things like furniture, pictures etc then of course the renter would pay for these.

I think a whole month to decorate one room is a bit excessive. I can understand you would want some time to get advertising and things sorted before you start but from the salon owners point of view if you've got the room then you should be paying for it.

I think £550 for a small room sounds high. I would of thought between £400-£450. You could rent a whole shop for £550 but I suppose you then have overheads, is it in a good/busy area. Is the shop busy? I would really think about it before you sign on the dotted line. Good luck.:)

Yes you can rent a shop for 550 in Scotland. Down South it would not be possible. Plus the business rates on just one of my salons is more than 550 a month! Add gas, electric, water, refuse collection and phone and 550 a month seems a bit of a bargain. My rooms start at 200 per WEEK, and I have never had to advertise them.
What seems extortionate in Scotland is quite reasonable in London

lots of mixed reviews, thanks.

Well i pay 410 a month rent in another shop now, it was do-able, but business has been quiet for various reasons.

Im worried about committing myself away and actually signing on the line, ill read through the contraxt thoroughly first.

The deposit gets held in an account and returned if i leave at the end of the period.
I guess yeah i would be paying a deposit and then all rent up front so i have to pay for the whole month on my first day in there.

I am not planning to start till later as im expecting in the next 2 weeks, i have a good friend who will open up beginning of december for me, we even thought about delay until 2nd week of december.

I wouldnt need lots of time to decorate a day or so, but i dont think im happy to pay for the use of room, as obviously im having to pay to give it a spruce up, hmm not sure.

Sounds like your gut feeling is telling you all sorts of stuff....

I wouldn't trust any verbal agreement regardless if you felt good about it. I also hope you have a separate job as a back up for the slow months to cover that high rent for a little room (think about what it's going to look and feel like once you get your supplies in there). Starting in the winter months is challenging...

Get everything agreed upon in writing, you will know if she doesn't want to do that, walk away. There is always something better.

I would try to find out who was in there before and have a chat with her.

funny you should say that...lol the girl who set up her business in there before has opened her own shop now, in fact iv booked myself in for a hollywood with her....lol perhaps not the best treatment to chat over but im in need before labour haha.

My good friend who is going to open up for me use to do some work for her when she had the room on a part time casu basis, so my friend had some good advice about the place...pros and cons, but one of the best things about the shop which i guess i havent plugged is yes its a very small room, however it offers its own shop frontage, therefore i can have my own named business with shop signage and parking outside the front window for 2 cars.

I do have another job, im a career mummy, im a tutor beauty part time at colleges, so i would plan to be working quite alot in the shop but also have someone part time.

I have someone in my salon now, it has helped me out so much but i kind of cocked up with the comm and offered 50% and she is not as experienced as i would have liked so the shops just ticking over. I feel like i need a fresh start and relaunch my own business.

i guess im just wary as its the next step up... the owner seems reasonable i guess she is looking out for her business too

funny you should say that...lol the girl who set up her business in there before has opened her own shop now, in fact iv booked myself in for a hollywood with her....lol perhaps not the best treatment to chat over but im in need before labour haha.

My good friend who is going to open up for me use to do some work for her when she had the room on a part time casu basis, so my friend had some good advice about the place...pros and cons, but one of the best things about the shop which i guess i havent plugged is yes its a very small room, however it offers its own shop frontage, therefore i can have my own named business with shop signage and parking outside the front window for 2 cars.

I do have another job, im a career mummy, im a tutor beauty part time at colleges, so i would plan to be working quite alot in the shop but also have someone part time.

I have someone in my salon now, it has helped me out so much but i kind of cocked up with the comm and offered 50% and she is not as experienced as i would have liked so the shops just ticking over. I feel like i need a fresh start and relaunch my own business.

i guess im just wary as its the next step up... the owner seems reasonable i guess she is looking out for her business too

Ive met you before and you mentioned you had no children? Your a mum now?

Btw i think that rent is too high for romford area
hths

lots of mixed reviews, thanks.

Well i pay 410 a month rent in another shop now, it was do-able, but business has been quiet for various reasons.

Im worried about committing myself away and actually signing on the line, ill read through the contraxt thoroughly first.

The deposit gets held in an account and returned if i leave at the end of the period.
I guess yeah i would be paying a deposit and then all rent up front so i have to pay for the whole month on my first day in there.

I am not planning to start till later as im expecting in the next 2 weeks, i have a good friend who will open up beginning of december for me, we even thought about delay until 2nd week of december.

I wouldnt need lots of time to decorate a day or so, but i dont think im happy to pay for the use of room, as obviously im having to pay to give it a spruce up, hmm not sure.

On the way by the sounds of things:green:

Hmmm on the way but i met her about 4-5months ago

I am almost 9 months pregnant and due, perhaps something not always shared with others

I am almost 9 months pregnant and due, perhaps something not always shared with others

Congrats, Just didnt think a 4-5 month bump could be so flat.Lucky you
Hope all goes well with the birth

That's good that you have a back up job, signage, and parking.

I think you will get some good info from the girl that was in there before, even if it is for intimate waxing.

Interested to know how it works out with a new baby, all the best to you and your family :hug:

That's good that you have a back up job, signage, and parking.

I think you will get some good info from the girl that was in there before, even if it is for intimate waxing.

Interested to know how it works out with a new baby, all the best to you and your family :hug:

Thanks, yes very nerve wracking times, jugglings lots, a family, business, normal work... i will have a good chat with her tomorrow see what she thinks x

WOW How soon are you planning on going back to work after your baby ? I take it this is your first ?

I rented a room and planned to go back full time after my baby had been born and as soon as he was here I knew I couldn't go back full time. As it was I went back p/t after 8 weeks and I hated it, I just couldn't get into work mode I wanted to be at home with my baby and the second id finished for the morning I would be out that door so fast id barely clean my room properly I was so desperate to get home.

The other problem I found was that as I was still breastfeeding it was a nightmare with feeds and expressing as I had to build up a supply for when I was out and would be fit to burst when I got home again !

I work from home now and really only do my regulars as I just can't commit to anything more, mainly as my baby still doesn't sleep through (6 months old) something id never considered when pregnant so due to the lack of sleep there is no way I could of continued working at the salon.

Sorry for going on if your already aware of all this its just that I wouldn't want you to commit to renting a room paying all that money out plus the cost of decorating then find it was just to difficult to go back to work so soon.

thats exactly one of my problems.... im concerned as at the moment im still in work mode but when this little dot pops out im wandering whether im still going to be able to commit myself 100%, i know that jan i am going back to teaching 1 day a week to start.

My partner is going to be a stay at home daddy, but just worried about starting the salon sooo soon, wish i could delay it slightly, my friend could run it for me over xmas and jan i think so i would get days off with the baby... yes breast feeding that lovely thing... going to see how that one goes..

hmmm lots to think about x

I've never known a 6 month contract, maybe find out if she plans to up the rent to 700 again after 6 months?

Im also in the essex area and pay about the same in rent so if its a nice salon then 550 sounds reasonable to me.

good luck!

Latest posts

Back