Your thoughts pls?Rent Room/Deposit/Decorating?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Im not keen to pay more than 550 but also not keen to sign myself up for long time, however if she wants to up it then ill have to just be straight.

I am with Bombini on this, (it sounded like you might have already had a little one so I wasn't sure). There are alot of little things that can come up with a newborn, and, the big fact being that you might not want to leave the baby, even if it is for a few hours. Alot of women do it, some can't. Breastfeeding takes ALOT out of you, it's worth it because it's best for baby. It took me some time to adjust with sleep and such. I was lucky, my son is very healthy. Not all kids are.

I took a part time job a few months after my son was born, and it would just make me mental thinking about wanting to come home to see him, not to mention every time a baby would cry, the evidence of me being a nursing mother would show and my co-workers would laugh :eek:

All kidding aside, this is going to be a huge change, a pleasant one, the most meaningful one in your life. I wouldn't be making huge commitments at this time. I feel for you, because I am expecting my second, and want so much to start my own thing.

If it's meant to be, the room will be open later for you.

OK here's my 2p worth:)

£550 pcm sound reasonable to me.

A months rent as deposit is common practice and rent is payable in advance, so you'll need £1100 to get you started.

Please don't forget that rent is payable 52 weeks in the year, so you'll still have to find £550 each month even if you've taken a week off for Christmas or you take time off for you baby.

As for decoration... if the decoration is in good order, but you want to change it, then it should be you who foots the bill. If the decoration is in poor condition, then the salon owner should pay:).

Now here's my advice:), It's important that the salon owner realises that it's beneficial to the both of you if your business flourishes. It's no good her seeing you as just a lump sum of money every month. Your clients will bring work to her and vica versa and a busy looking salon will always encourage new customers. With this in mind, I'd try and see if she will let you start on a commission basis for 6 months (something like 20 to 25% if you provide all products), to give you some time to get established and then start the monthly rent after that.

HTH
jes

Im not keen to pay more than 550 but also not keen to sign myself up for long time, however if she wants to up it then ill have to just be straight.

It may be worth including a 'get out' clause into the contract. 6 months does not seem long enough to guarantee rent. Maybe a 3 year contract at that rate with an option to leave after 12 months. A solicitor can easily write this in if your landlord is in agreement.

iv been chatting about this in length today, i have a good friend who is willing to get things off the ground for me, i also have lots of other options worker wise...to try out if im finding it all a little much.

Unfortunately i have to go back to work as i earn more than my partner, so i will have to sacrafice the staying at home bit to support our family, but i dont mind, the part where i have been questioning myself is can i commit to more than i already have going.

I do think this is a great opportunity to move my business in the right direction. The room needs a lick of paint as the last person didnt have an extractor on their tanning tent.
I am going to read through the contract when i get it. Its not 52week payable its only 12 months... so no having to pay extra for the awful 5 week months.

Now here's my advice:), It's important that the salon owner realises that it's beneficial to the both of you if your business flourishes. It's no good her seeing you as just a lump sum of money every month. Your clients will bring work to her and vica versa and a busy looking salon will always encourage new customers. With this in mind, I'd try and see if she will let you start on a commission basis for 6 months (something like 20 to 25% if you provide all products), to give you some time to get established and then start the monthly rent after that.

HTH
jes

I dont think she'll be up for the commission option. I think it is what it is and i have got it reduced, i would have liked 500 but compromised at 550 from 700. Im going to have to really plug it being a new place at xmas and obviously jan is a difficult time for us all.
Because i have another job i would be looking to continue having someone to support me on poss 2 days a week, now commission with my present working hasnt worked great 50/50 so i think i would offer someone 40/60 with me obviously providing products. I think i will need to do that to start off as i dont know how busy it will intially be, then thinking of changing it over to an hourly rate... whats your thoughts?
Obviously it always pays to be there 100% of your time but my other job would support this business so it would be worth it.

hmmm

Latest posts

Back