Non professional - no judgement

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glf92

Reaction score
Hi.
I know this is going to absolutely ruffle some feathers but I’ve made the decision to dye my hair at home as I can’t afford salon prices and I’m so desperate at this point. My current hair has been box dyed number 3 darkest brown for probably 5+ years. I have lots of greys coming in thick and fast at the moment as well as about an inch root of lighter brown hair.
My goal is to lighten my hair and have it the lightest brown I can get. I want to do it properly with all the correct items but no matter how much I research I don’t know where to start. I’d say my hair is highly porous as it dries mega fast. Can someone please give me a last of what I will need and maybe the method of doing it please? I’m asking for advice even though I know what I’m doing is wrong so please if you could over look that and not judge then that would be lovely thank you. I will post pics of my hair and the colour I would like to (somewhat) achieve. I don’t have high expectations and know it’s unlikely that I will get the exact colour.

Hi.
I know this is going to absolutely ruffle some feathers but I’ve made the decision to dye my hair at home as I can’t afford salon prices and I’m so desperate at this point. My current hair has been box dyed number 3 darkest brown for probably 5+ years. I have lots of greys coming in thick and fast at the moment as well as about an inch root of lighter brown hair.
My goal is to lighten my hair and have it the lightest brown I can get. I want to do it properly with all the correct items but no matter how much I research I don’t know where to start. I’d say my hair is highly porous as it dries mega fast. Can someone please give me a last of what I will need and maybe the method of doing it please? I’m asking for advice even though I know what I’m doing is wrong so please if you could over look that and not judge then that would be lovely thank you. I will post pics of my hair and the colour I would like to (somewhat) achieve. I don’t have high expectations and know it’s unlikely that I will get the exact colour.
Colour remover will be your best friend in these circumstances. It's the safest way to do it yourself. Do not touch bleach - that will be very messy.
Colour remover can be applied up to 3 times. If the ends are completely saturated and look almost black you will definitely need more than 1 application. Your root are may only need 1 though. When I comes to rinsing make sure you follow the instructions to a T because this is usually where people cut corners and then it doesn't work out for them. When it comes to applying your new colour you'll need to check the instructions of the colour remover. Some recommend only using a permanent shade 2-3 shades lighter than what you desire. Some suggest only using a demi permanent. So familiarise yourself with that first before choosing your shade you're going to apply. Then previously coloured hair is more than likely going to be warm , so take that into consideration too when choosing your shades. For example Maybe worth choosing a gold shade for the roots and then maybe a natural or natural ash shade for the ends.

Have you thought about trying a College Beauty School Salon they usually offer services but at a reduced fee under the supervision of a teacher in the Salon?

Just a suggestion!

100% agree with Ronray. Colour remover is your best place to start. It should remove the bulk of the really dark colour and allow you to start applying a lighter shade. Bleach is a no no if you are doing it yourself and not professional, as is it will be messy, difficult to manage and likely cause damage

First thing: please don't apologise for needing to prioritise your spending and wanting to look and feel good at the same time.

And yes we're professionals but I bet ya everyone on here does their own hair/ nails/ waxing/ taxes/oil change/ oven cleaning.

I'm going to point you to YouTube for some great videos on home hair colour, for when you want to sort your roots;
World of Craig
Glam Girl Gabi
Hair Buddha

The manufacturers of home hair colour also make professional lines so it's the product selection and application that is the key part.

To remove your darks ends, I'd use an anti-dandruff shampoo and leave in for several minutes each time.
If your scalp is sensitive try using just on your ends.

After 4 or 5 washes it should have.lifted a good amount (not on the same day, over time)

I would also use a Colour Remover as suggested; if you can buy from a salon supply store, rather than a drug store.

Read the ingredients; if it contains 'persulfate' it's a bleach; put it back.

A Remover reverses the chemical reaction of the original tint, so it should really only affect the coloured areas, not your roots.

As also suggested an advanced hair school appointment is also a good bet.

Whatever you do, take your time, ensure you have plenty of product, wear gloves and plastic around you and be clear what you're trying to do on each particular step-
- you cannot
Remove dark tint
&
Liflt 3 levels
&
Neutralise yellow tones

All in the same moment

Best of luck

Latest posts

Back