“I’m not a sales person, I’m a therapist”

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StudioTracker

Reaction score
Not selling as much retail product as you’d hoped? Keep asking yourself what you could do better? Does the sentence “I’m not a sales person, I’m a therapist sound familiar?” Often the problem lies with confidence, work on this a bit more and you could reap the results.

Confidence
Rest assured, personal recommendation still remains the most important factor in driving sales in this market. A survey of 30,000 salon users conducted this year found that over half of respondents who purchase products from a salon do so on the recommendation of a professional (Mintel, Beauty Salons, 2008).

Your clients come to you because you are a skilled professional. Your expertise should be shared with the client to help build trust. After all, it is this skill which distinguishes you from generic high street retailers. Talk clients through the products which you use during treatments and highlight all the different features and benefits. Listing the products used in treatments on treatment lists will also help to reinforce this message.

You don’t feel comfortable selling
Your not a sales person because you’re a therapist? Can’t you be both? Look through any college or university prospectus and I doubt that there are many diplomas or degrees in ‘Sales’. Many jobs involve an element of sales and not everyone receives specific sales training.

Some people feel that if they are unsuccessful at selling something that it is a personal rejection. It is also common for people to feel they are making the client feel pressurised by trying to sell to them. What you need to do to overcome this mentality is:

v take into consideration that customers who frequent a salon are prototypical buyers of premium skincare; they are interested in beauty, indulge in treatments to make them feel better and have already tried many of the brands in treatments.
v realise the difference in selling something, i.e. convincing a person that a product is worth their cash, and making someone feel like they have to buy something
v put yourself in a similar situation, it is easy to politely decline if your not interested.

Trends in skincare
Alternatively, it could be the case that you are stocking the wrong products. Keeping abreast of the trends in skincare can help you ensure that you are stocking the right products for your clients. Mintel market intelligence have also identified a number of consumer trends which have captured the consumer’s imagination and may help to drive sales in this difficult time:

· Women will look for get more for less, and want products which offer clearly demonstrable benefits.
· Consumers are looking to drop unnecessary products from their repertoire and instead will favour multi-functional beauty products for all their needs.
· Consumers are increasingly expressing preferences for ‘natural’ products which are derived from organic or otherwise pure ingredients, such as plant extracts.
· Conversely, another set of consumers are increasingly sold on the scientific approach and look for products which contain ingredients like ceramides and antioxidants.

Latest posts

Back