Discouraged hairdresser in training

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

laurenmaree

Reaction score
Hi everyone, (please excuse the long post/rant!)

I'm a 27yo mum who started hairdressing at a private training collage 4 months ago in Aus.

I haven't started cutting and colour yet, I'm about to this week, but I feel so discouraged right now :(

I am really already struggling with hair ups and sets.

I don't get a lot of help, and when I do it's just "watch me" they show me and then walk away. The books we have are old fashioned and written by them without a lot of detail (but plenty of spelling mistakes!). I have learnt more from youtube and online sources to be honest then my course! But I'm about to have my first assessments done and I've only had 2 clients, both blow waves that ended up more like a set if that makes sense? And felt like a fool because both times I had to really push for help not in the blow waving, I enjoy that but in the extra teasing, product application (texturising powder the client wanted, that I didn't know we had as they keep it locked away and haven't done product training!). I dread going to class now, for fear of being given more clients I'm not ready for!

I'm so stressed out!

I invested a huge about of money in this course with all the promises from them and I'm scared I will never get work, frankly or even pass!

I'm relying heavily on clients there and manikins since nobody I know will let me touch their hair as practice, obviously free, until I'm qualified :(

I have no idea what to do. We are a one income, low wage family. The stress is killing me.

Please tell me it will get easier, or that it's normal to feel this/go through this...but do I realistically have a chance of making it?

I'm looking at doing some extra courses along the way and after through Tony & Guy and different Wholesalers. Do you think this will be enough to make up for lack of teaching?

I have always wanted to be a hairdresser, always. But I'm scared I've messed my chance up by simply choosing the wrong school.

Any advice from anyone who has been in my situation and still made it would be really encouraging right now!

Or if anyone can guide me towards some other courses or resources, that would be just amazing. I'm looking at My Hairdressers and follow a few hairdressers on youtube as well as subscribe to INSTYLE hairdressing industry magazine to try and gain more knowledge.

I'm just lost.

Feel free to ignore this post, I'm sorry it's not the usual professional type question just looking for some hope and guidance!

I should add that the school is not run in a class format with everyone starting in the same level, it is a self guided in dependant learning course. Big mistake.

Sounds tough but I can't say that they're much worse than some of the training you get over here. :-/

Maybe you could make an appointment to speak to a senior member of staff and explain that you feel misled about the type of teaching they offer. You were expecting a more hands on 1:1 approach rather than just a class demonstration.

Do you pay all you fees in advance or can you hold some back until things improve?

Definitely keep watching Myhairdressers and good YouTube videos and practise with your training heads.

To be honest, it can take a long time to feel confident when working on live models so try not to feel discouraged.

Are you doing any work in a salon alongside college? Even if it's just shampooing and cleaning, you can watch other stylists and learn from them. Can you do a few hours voluntary perhaps?

Remember, hairdressing is a skill like any other that takes 100's of hours of practice to master.

Be patient
Take one step at a time
Be determined and don't allow yourself to accept failure.

Good luck! :)

My course is exactly the same hun. The best advise I can say is fake it till you make it. This is how I've done it. Yes I've made mistakes thankfully not really big ones, i am still careful and reaserch everything. But I've learned from them and still learning. There is so much to hairdressing. It takes time and experience to be good. Not just training. I'm nearly finishing my level two and going straight to level 3 as I want to know the colour correct and advanced cutting. Now I'm not saying I'm a great hairdresser but I know I'm dedicated and in time ill be what im setting out to be 😊.

It's like driving a car you don't really learn till you have passed and on the road.

Good luck huni x x

Ive just started a fast track course and I have A LOT riding on it as well, it's also a lot harder than I thought it would be but you will get there. Just keep practicing every spare moment you get. Can you bring extra models in for more practice?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks everyone, I'm sorry to hear it's more common then I thought :(

I haven't been able to convince anyone to model yet. But I am understanding of the fact they feel they pay a fortune for their hairdressing and are just worried about mistakes being made and having to pay for corrections.

Plus it's two hours each way to the school (I'm in the country) if they came in and I can't afford the equipment cost yet to work from home (hopefully my spray tan business takes off and that will sort itself out). I'm only equipped to do blow waves/manikin work at home, which I am doing when I can.

It's just so frustrating. I AM a perfectionist, which doesn't help lol I also have a fear of failure. I know it's unreasonable, but hopefully a good trait in this trade.

I guess I'll just have to suck it up and ride it out until I finish and then I'll study further at a much better collage. Perhaps I'll do some short courses at Wholesalers to improve my technique for now.

Does anyone know if the Tony and Guy short courses are worth it? I've been thinking about doing some short intensive beginner courses with them too.

Argh..

Good luck everyone, as I said, it's disappointing to hear how common these issues are! X

Unfortunately some places are not great... blowdry is really hard in my opinion... it is so much to take in at the beginning but soon things just start to click...definitely use YouTube to your advantage once your understanding colour attend some training with a colour house.... I use NAK Australian owned and there training is so good and I love the product... where is Australia are you??:) is the school in a busy town? Perhaps you could start a cb page and advertis on local buy swap sites near your college and get people in :)

Sent from my A500 using SalonGeek mobile app

Latest posts

Back