Do you use a cutting stool or chair on wheels? Pros, cons, adjustments?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fullmetalhackit

Reaction score
Hi there.

I'm a trainee hairdresser with a health condition affecting my ability to stand for long periods of time, especially during flares. At these times, standing to work on hair means I suffer more joint pain, muscle pain/spasm, fatigue, loss of balance, etc. It has a cumulative effect, so I need to reduce the stress on my body as much as possible by pacing myself and conserving energy.

I have found that using a cutting stool makes a significant difference to my comfort and ability to do the job

However I have been told that I need to try to stand, to get the angles right.

This advice seems a bit odd, as I have seen so many of my own hairdressers, and their colleagues, cutting away on stools. I have surveyed several hairdresser friends, who all use stools from time to time - particularly during and after pregnancy.

However I am open to the possibilities that a) a hairdresser may need to adapt his or her techniques in some way to be mindful of posture, angles etc while cutting from a chair and b) some cuts may indeed be difficult to achieve while sitting without an additional adjustment, for example a platform to raise the height of the stylist even further., or a step-down area for the client chair.

I guess my question is this: can I be a competent hairdresser if I need to use a cutting stool most of the time?

I strongly suspect I can ;)

But would be grateful for any feedback with regard to your experiences, or any hints and tips for adapting my technique accordingly.

I use one all the time. So much better on my back and neck. Obviously you will need to be mindful of your position when cutting etc. Your health is more important though so if it helps use it.

I am a bit old school and cutting stools weren't around when I trained so I find it easier to work without. However I will use one when cutting long one length hair so that I am at eye level but never for layered cuts as I move around too much!

Thank you both. I like to move around a lot, too - scooting around on my stool :) However I've also been told it's a good idea to stand in one place as much as possible. Lots to learn, and so many different approaches to achieving the same cuts. I can't wait to master the basics so I can find my own ways...

Thank you both. I like to move around a lot, too - scooting around on my stool :) However I've also been told it's a good idea to stand in one place as much as possible. Lots to learn, and so many different approaches to achieving the same cuts. I can't wait to master the basics so I can find my own ways...

Look up free salon education on YouTube. There is collection of vids on it called 14 tips to become a great hair cutter or something similar. There was one in particular that talked about positioning.

Thanks very much - I've found the 14 tips and they are very useful indeed.

Latest posts

Back