Hair straightener and curling iron help!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamie16

Reaction score
Hi! I' am looking to upgrade my straightener and curling iron. I have a budget for $20-40 for each. Please comment with brand and models that would be goof for me...here is more info below

My hair:
-Brown, med-long in length
-naturally a little wavy(on the straight side though)
-average thickness(maybe a little above average)
-fine-average hair strands
-healthy and strong(heat shouldn't be an issue)

Straightener:$20-40
past experience/cons: old model remington wet 2 dry(had for about 1 1/2-2 years). decent but does make hair silky of shiny. Ends of hair are thicker when straightened than root. Can't run fingers through hair very well when straightened like at the salon. Hair does get tangled afterwards easily(even when brushed).Hate when my hair gets caught in the edge of the hot plates

what I want:
-gives hair silkiness and shine
-easy to run fingers through hair
-in general...good quality salon brand

Curler:$20-40
past experience/cons: cheap conair spring curler from big lots(1 year ago). Got it for around $15 it was a pack of two with different size barrels. the irons were very small(length). curls would become limp quickly. Not a consistent curl every time . No silk of shininess. Always gets frizzy when finish(not all strands are together in one curl)

what I want:
-silky smooth shininess even with the texture of the curls
-spring
-consistent curls
-curls last long

Side questions:
1.I hear hot tools is good...opinions?
2.I have heard good reviews on the cone-shaped no clamps, but it is not good for beginners...right?
3. what would be a good barrel size considering may hair is not super long to pull of big loose waves/curls. I do not want super tight curls though. 3/4? 1 in? Idk... what do you think?

THANK YOU SOOOOOO MUCH FOR READING MY BOOK OF A POST

As your prices are in dollars not sure if I can help as not sure what brands are available where you live. However by the sound of what you are saying you need to learn better how to use the tools you are using.

For example if you straighten the root of your hair you will lose the volume making it appear flat to the head and thinner than the ends. Also when you have your hair done at a salon the majority of work done to get hair smooth and tangle free is done before straightening. Use a good salon quality shampoo and condition, maybe a serum or leave in conditioner as well and blowdry your hair using a brush directing the airflow down the shaft of your hair. How do you mean the hair is getting caught on the edge of the plates? Is it strands getting caught randomly or all the hair?

If you are curling your hair and it comes out frizzy you may need to concentrate on giving your hair a smooth blowdry before hand or change how you are taking the curl off the barrel so you keep that curl in formation. If the curls are going limp quickly try curling the hair when it is not fresh, making sure conditioner was thoroughly washed out when you did wash it. Also try pin curling each section as you curl and allow the curls to cool and set in place before leaving them down. To get consistent curls make sure you are taking even sections each time.

Not sure is hot tools a brand or do you mean heated appliances?

Is the coned shape no clamps just a regular curling wand? If so they are perfectly fine for beginners as they don't leave the mark of a clamp on the hair, the cone shape is to have a curl which is tighter towards the end just use a heat protecter glove as you may burn your hand when starting out!

It depends on personal preference with the size barrel and how tight a curl you want. I would suggest going a size tighter than you want the curls to be to allow for if they drop

Thanks for the feedback! I am will definitely watch some more tutorials and get some more practice! That is very good point. Thanks:)

Latest posts

Back