Hair | "We're Not Racist But Solange's Hair Looks Like A Poodle" Says In Touch Weekly

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Ed.

Reaction score
Wow. I am constantly dumbfounded (which is a big deal) by what some publications actually think it's ok to put down in writing and print off a million copies and sell it to the public. This week's 'not racist' comments come from the USA's In Touch Weekly who ran a feature comparing a poodle to Solange Knowles.

Sent in by a reader, he said that his Yorkipoo Jackie, 5, is “basically twinsies” with Solange, an adult human woman and the magazine printed it because they thought it was funny. You don't have to delve deep into Black American academia to find literally hundreds and hundreds of articles about the relationship that black people, especially black women, have with their hair in terms of prejudice, identity and culture. And let's not forget, America is hardly in a harmonious state regarding race relations at the moment so, really, whoever was responsible for this needs to take a time out and have a little think about what they've done because honestly, this is just too egregious.

I adore Solange's hair and as a blonde cursed with thin, fairly lanky hair that needs serious amounts of love and coaxing and products to do anything other than hang limply around my face, I wish I could rock a beautiful 'fro.

So, shame on you In Touch Weekly. I mean really…have we not moved on?

Until then…geek on!

The Ed.

Attachments

• Solange-dog-comparison.jpg
    Solange-dog-comparison.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 252
That's utterly disgraceful!

How on earth can that be deemed acceptable for a national publication?

I think the editor of the magazine should be sacked and an apology published at the very least.

Whenever you hear the words "I'm not racist but...", you can always be certain that what follows is going to be 100% racist.

Latest posts

Back