Help needed using clippers

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BodieSmalls

Reaction score
Hello there

Got too embarrassed to goto barbers back in the summer so went to argos and spend about £10 on some remington clippers

Got on ok giving self a number 3 all over the 1st time.

2nd time i think hair was longer, hair was dry also. Giving self a number 4 was absolute torture, really. I had no choice but to just keep going until my hair was ok. Got sister to go over sides at ears and back.

I have gone beyond going to hairdressers/barbers due to the embarrassing condition of my hair. Going through rather tough times at the moment and lack the courage to walk in like this and creating small talk were I can't stand feeling awkward by not saying anything... I have a large head, within standard parameters but coupled with the way my hair grows when it gets beyond shorter length and very thick, jet black, it does not look stylish really, i cant get off with just out of bed or shaggy look, it does not suit me at all!

-------------------

My hair is very thick, would it be best to have it wet, damp or dry for a no 3/4 all over?

Would showering using conditioner beforehand for maximum softness make any difference?

I'm presuming cutting as much as possible with scissors first will make for less workload for these budget clippers?

If it's not been lost, should I apply the included grease to the clippers just before use, or is it better after i use them to keep them lubed for next time?

-------------------

i realize some if not all of these questions are beyond basic touching on common sense, the thought of going through the ordeal of last time makes me shudder!

The reason im seeking help for this is mainly due to the high amount of pain experienced last time|:-

Anyway, Any other tips or advice would be awesome, yes, awe inspiring if anyone would actually take the time to read this and help me, i'd be so very greatfull and let you all know how I get on so hopefully my questions and your help could be of use to thers in future

Thanks again :biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't want to sound nasty or harsh but I doubt the hairdressers on this site will help you.

There is a rule that information gained in training is not passed to the untrained and the only advice I see being given to you is to go to the hairdressers.

I'm not trained in hair (I do mainly tanning & waxing) so can't advise you on any of your questions unfortunately.

Try a different barbers or a local unisex salon?

Honestly, they're not going to look at your hair and make any nasty comments. They want to help you look your best. That's why they're working in that profession.

My cheapest pro brand corded clippers cost me about £50 so I doubt your budget ones are really up to the job, if your hair is quite thick.

AcidPerm is right. No one will make any derogatory comments regarding your hair.
The amount of people we see in a week who've had a go themselves you wouldn't believe, it's very common, it's our job to send them out looking and feeling great.

Sent from my D5503 using SalonGeek mobile app

Lots of guys buzz it themselves because it needs doing often & salons usually are not good @ this type of thing! I trained/worked both old time barber shop & many salons.

Your hair sounds super dense or many hairs/square", common cheap clippers wont do the trick especially the more you let it grow between buzzes! Fork out the cash for a decent clippers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello there

Got too embarrassed to goto barbers back in the summer so went to argos and spend about £10 on some remington clippers

Got on ok giving self a number 3 all over the 1st time.

2nd time i think hair was longer, hair was dry also. Giving self a number 4 was absolute torture, really. I had no choice but to just keep going until my hair was ok. Got sister to go over sides at ears and back.

I have gone beyond going to hairdressers/barbers due to the embarrassing condition of my hair. Going through rather tough times at the moment and lack the courage to walk in like this and creating small talk were I can't stand feeling awkward by not saying anything... I have a large head, within standard parameters but coupled with the way my hair grows when it gets beyond shorter length and very thick, jet black, it does not look stylish really, i cant get off with just out of bed or shaggy look, it does not suit me at all!

-------------------

My hair is very thick, would it be best to have it wet, damp or dry for a no 3/4 all over?

Would showering using conditioner beforehand for maximum softness make any difference?

I'm presuming cutting as much as possible with scissors first will make for less workload for these budget clippers?

If it's not been lost, should I apply the included grease to the clippers just before use, or is it better after i use them to keep them lubed for next time?

-------------------

i realize some if not all of these questions are beyond basic touching on common sense, the thought of going through the ordeal of last time makes me shudder!

The reason im seeking help for this is mainly due to the high amount of pain experienced last time|:-

Anyway, Any other tips or advice would be awesome, yes, awe inspiring if anyone would actually take the time to read this and help me, i'd be so very greatfull and let you all know how I get on so hopefully my questions and your help could be of use to thers in future

Thanks again :biggrin:

You really, really don't need to feel embarrassed to go to the barbers, I'm absolutely sure they have dealt with every type of hair on the planet! I'm guessing maybe you've had some sort of embarrassing experience at some point? Seriously tho a barber is a trained proffesional and can definatley do your hair much better than you could yourself, if you go quite regularly say every 2-3 weeks you can keep it looking awesome and then you'll never have to worry about your hair, what area are you in? Maybe someone on here could recomend a good barber near you? :)

If you're really feeling too embarrassed to go into a Barbers, another option could be to have a mobile hairdresser/barber come to you? I'd expect that to feel more comfortable.

Latest posts

Back