Inflatable lounge chair

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cherriedlove

Reaction score
Hello! Needing some outside perspective here.

I am going to be starting up a little beauty thing soon on top of a health food store but I am on a super tight budget (the opportunity was sprung on me and I don't want to waste it!). A lot of my equipment is second hand and have found many things cheap but am struggling with a pedicure chair. I've looked through the threads and a lot of the suggestions are Ikea chairs. I wouldn't mind that but I need something as portable as possible as I may have to pack up the room as there are other therapies in there on other days. Here are two options I've thought of, but would love some advice especially which is more "professional" since I think I'm going a little crazy trying to get everything on the "list".

Option 1) An inflatable lounge chair with a proper mini foot stool (not the ottoman provided) and a nice throw on top of it.
DELUXE LOUNGER 88150 POD INFLATABLE SUN SOFA CAMPING RELAX CHAIR + FOOT REST | eBay

Option 2) An outdoor lounger with some nice throw cushions.
Textoline Zero Gravity Garden Reclining Recliner Relaxer Lounger Lounge Chair | eBay

I am also wondering if there would be insurance issues with the inflatable one. Of course I would absolutely love a proper pedi chair or even a high back chair, but am trying to think about portability too (and money..definitely money).

EDIT: I think I've regained my sanity and well aware that neither of these chairs are suitable. What I'm looking for is something that is portable and comfortable for clients, any suggestions would be welcome x

Last edited:
I would imagine that anyone older, with a bad back or pregnant would find the inflatable chair impossible to use. I have to say I don't think it's very professional or practical I'm afraid x

If I'm honest I don't think either of them are professional or practical.

As said above inflatable will not work for anyone with back issues, I think even I would be uncomfortable sitting on it for a while and my back is fine. It's also very low so you would probably have to sit on the floor.

The garden chair is slightly better but it's very cheap so I would be worried how safe it was. I've had cheap garden recliners in the past (at home, not for salon) and they've all broken with someone sitting on them!

I know you want to save money but some things are more important than saving a few pounds.

X

Felicity xx

To be honest, I hate both of them too haha. I think I am just trying to exhaust all options to find something to fit my budget. Would you have any suggestions for alternatives?

How about a wooden garden chair that is a bit more sturdy. I don't mind paying extra but I also need to keep in mind of having to pack up so the other girls can carry out their therapies on other days.

Maybe if I purchase a wooden one and get something for lumbar support to help with comfort. I honestly am a bit lost. I think getting a cheap armchair is easy, but finding something portable and "professional" seems impossible!

Thank you for your honesty, when I asked my boyfriend, I could tell he was like "WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU THINKING" but actually just gave me a polite mm, maybe the garden one haha.

As you do pedicures I gather you do nails too? What chair are you using for nails? You could use that for your pedicures, lots of techs do. You could have a nice cover for it and have a portable pedi bowl, just an idea. X

Felicity xx

Well actually it's a bit of a long story which unfortunately I can't share on here, I am qualified in everything and I work in a salon which has proper armchairs.

I have decided to start a business of my own on the side that is more holistic in nature in a completely different environment. It's a therapy room that is shared by different people for different therapies i.e yoga. Therefore the room doesn't have chairs etc and can't have any "permanent" furniture, everything has to be moved out in between days.

I have got a treatment menu all down and at first I thought to scrap nails as although you can get portable manicure stations for therapists, it's hard to find a nice portable chair for clients. However I think nails is big business and I'd rather not scrap it if I don't have to. But at the moment, I am struggling to find a nice chair that is affordable (under 100 pounds), is portable and is comfortable that I can use for both manicures and pedicures. I have gone through all the threads on here, and that's where the garden chair idea came from tbh.

If I can't find something that fits the bill, I think I will have to take nails off the menu.

Yes I will definitely getting a beauty bed for sure! It's on the top of my list. But I prefer to do pedicures with the client seated? I could probably still offer dry pedicures on the bed, but I would think it's so uncomfortable to soak your feet on a bed.

Who would of thought it'd be so impossible to find a chair :eek:

If it's a nice little salon chair - why not try some2nd hand stores around your area.
We have various places that do removals etc and keep unwanted furniture. You may pick up a real bargain and a nice piece.

I'm with the others, without meaning to sound rude, they're really not nice or professional looking.

We even have a council run place that empty out houses. Don't get me wrong, there A LOT of tat, but sometimes you can find a diamond in the rough x

Thank you! My issue isn't really about finding a second hand armchair but just something that would be portable, most of what I've gathered is second hand so far xx

What about a wooden folding one and make it look a bit better with cushions etc

Was just about to suggest a wooden folding one, you could jazz it up with a chair cover and cushions x

Felicity xx

Have you got any storage in the building at all that you could keep the chair in or are you literally having to fold it up and take it home every day?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

I mentioned a wooden folding one earlier, do you think it would be alright with a proper lumbar cushion?

I will have to check Lilypie as I haven't started but I don't think there's much room on top of the shop, everything is a bit up in the air atm, tomorrow I will be visiting the shop again to ask a few more q's xx

I think once you get a nice nail bar set up, looking all pro, a folding chair will lower the tone. I'm sure if it's a permanent thing up there they won't mind. A chair isn't TOO big. And you can tuck it under the nail bar once it's not in use.

I wooden folding one would be the best option with some cushions etc to spruce it up

I'd definitely ask whether there is any storage space available as it'll be a lot to carry around along with all your products and manicure table etc.

If you could have a small space, even a cupboard just to store a tub chair and a few essentials (teabags, couch roll etc) I think it would help you out loads.

The only thing I would say about a wooden chair is I personally don't find them comfortable. The garden type chairs are comfy but the cheaper folding dining chairs I find are so uncomfortable. My sister in law is an ex hairdresser and she uses one to do family and friends hair and dear god I dread having to sit in that chair. It has a large hole in the back so impossible to use a cushion. So make sure whatever you choose that you have the option of adding a cushion and making it comfy for the client x

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Thanks everyone for all their help, I will definitely check if there is storage space tomorrow. And I will make sure that there is a proper back on the chair for a cushion. And arm rests! xx

Latest posts

Back