Lost when purchasing spray gun!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MendiBStar

Reaction score
Hi all!! I'm I so lost if I should purchase an airbrush or an HVLP, or if there is really a difference between the two. After that obstacle is tackled; what brand and style number is best? I'm so lost with all the websites and ebay styles. I've not really found a website that gives real reviews on which is best for starting a business and how much I will be spending on my equipment. Plus -no one does personal spray tanning in my area, so there is no one to ask!Thanks for all your help!!!XXX

I'll try to explain as simply as I can, hope this helps you to decide. An HVLP gun is actually an airbrush that offers a reasonably powerful spray from a lower pressure hence the meaning of HVLP (High Volume Low Pressure). HVLP offers maximum spray at a faster rate than smaller LVLP (Low Volume Low Pressure) airbrushes. These tend to offer a finer mist rather than a spray which comes out of the nozzle at a slower speed.

HVLP v LVLP

HVLP GUN is faster to apply and covers a larger surface area in one pass. Slower to dry because slightly more product is applied. Ideal for busy tanning professionals, especially in a salon as less time is spent on each client. Not suited for offering body contouring and detailed coverage of smaller areas.

LVLP AIRBRUSH takes longer to apply but can offer a slightly better and more detailed finish if applied correctly. Faster drying due to the mist created being finer. More suited to mobile professionals who are not in a busy salon with the next client waiting their turn. Ideal for offering body contouring service.

Hope that helps, there's a lot more to it but that's the shortened, simplified version:)

You need to decide which is best for your circumstances of course.

Good luck and happy tanning!

St.Moriz Salon :)

Last edited:
I'll try to explain as simply as I can, hope this helps you to decide. An HVLP gun is actually an airbrush that offers a reasonably powerful spray from a lower pressure hence the meaning of HVLP (High Volume Low Pressure). HVLP offers maximum spray at a faster rate than smaller LVLP (Low Volume Low Pressure) airbrushes. These tend to offer a finer mist rather than a spray which comes out of the nozzle at a slower speed.

HVLP v LVLP

HVLP GUN is faster to apply and covers a larger surface area in one pass. Slower to dry because slightly more product is applied. Ideal for busy tanning professionals, especially in a salon as less time is spent on each client. Not suited for offering body contouring and detailed coverage of smaller areas.

LVLP AIRBRUSH takes longer to apply but can offer a slightly better and more detailed finish if applied correctly. Faster drying due to the mist created being finer. More suited to mobile professionals who are not in a busy salon with the next client waiting their turn. Ideal for offering body contouring service.

Hope that helps, there's a lot more to it but that's the shortened, simplified version:)

You need to decide which is best for your circumstances of course.

Good luck and happy tanning!

St.Moriz Salon :)
Thank you that does help! What brands are best for small businesses?

Latest posts

Back