Newbie-setting up help needed

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mel63541

Reaction score
Hi there!
(hope i've posted in the right place)

After a looong salon life i've decided that i'm going mobile and just wondered if anyone else that previously has can help :)

Im all registered HMRC tax wise so all the legal stuffs sorted in that sense however don't have a clue how to organise my books/accounts.
If anyone ever makes a step by step guide on how to become mobile and what to do they'd make millions!

I've found random posts on here, from years ago with a few tips and other people set ups on google I just want one place where i can learn it all.

So if any one can shed some light on how to set up your accounts that would be amazing!! (do I have to set up a separate business bank account, how much petrol can i claim back if im using my personal car to travel, how do expenses work etc) I know i could get an accountant and i will do at the end of the tax year but at the moment they charge nearly £200 just for a chat!

Sorry for babbeling but hopefully someone can help :)
Thanks
Mel xx

I'm gonna do a blog on it but I'm just starting myself.

£200 for a chat?! first bit of advice - find a new accountant!

For starting up this is a great source of info LiverpoolLashes Daily Beauty Blog.

Karen is also a member of this forum.

When i first started i rang my local tax office, and they were great. They made me a free appointment and ran through most things with me, so i had a basic understanding of what i was doing. That was over 10 years ago, but ring them and see what they can do for you.

£200 for a chat?! first bit of advice - find a new accountant!

For starting up this is a great source of info LiverpoolLashes Daily Beauty Blog.

Karen is also a member of this forum.

Thanks BP!

Starting up is such a difficult thing as if this is your first time being self employed then the thought of doing your accounts at the end (amongst other things!) is daunting.

I may be the only one with this thought (and that's okay) but I would avoid paying an accountant until you're really busy and simply haven't got the time. Until then, keep all of your receipts and if you can, make a note of everything you've had to purchase for the business. For the first year you're working, you won't need to do anything pretty much as they work a year behind.

My husband actually does my tax returns for me, he has no formal knowledge or previous experience but it's a case of figuring out what I've earned / paid out and inputting the figures. You have from April to the following January to submit it so you definitely get plenty of time. Also there is a helpline for HMRC so if you end up needing help submitting it, just get onto them!

As BP said, my website has a load of advice posts that I have written about building a client base, advertising, etc. I am currently running a series where as I have some of my followers with salons write their experiences and advise which will also be uploaded there, directly below my banner in the "advice" tab.

Wishing you all the success for the future xx

Latest posts

Back