NVQ level 2 beauty, best products to buy?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

claireyfairy

Reaction score
Hi I will be hopefully starting my level 2 beauty soon and want to start getting a few bits as I'm due to put some orders in for other products and hoping there will b some vat free offers soon with Easter coming! I already do mani/pedi/lash tinting so have those products but will need waxing, facials and make up stuff. I already have a heater for paraffin wax can I use that or will need another? Id like to use eve Taylor for facials but cant get that till qualified so what products should I use in mean time? I don't want to fall in the trap of using cheap stuff to practise, I want to buy quality from the beginning that I will use on paying customers. Make up? I haven't got a clue where to even start? Lol any extras I've not thought about? I have a couch already.
Thanks if u can offer any advice x

Sadly many large companies will not sell you products till you have qualified and put certain restrictions to allow for exclusivety. This is great when you qualify as it protects your income especially as a lot will come from retail but I guess bad for you.Ask your training provider as they can offer good advice.

In regards to facials I recommend getting affordable products to start of with i.e. kaeso, thai manicure brand. Although cheap I have seen top salons charging high amounts i.e above £55 whilst using these products and are really cost effective when looking at per a unit cost.

In regards to waxing although hive is good I would go to a trades show to get to experiment with different wax types. People have preferences dependant on learning style and even colours.Lycon, Adam and eve are both good brands but unsure of what qualifications if any you need to buy.

Furthermore although not something you want to hear. I would NOT stock up on expensive brands whilst training as when qualified it is highly unlikely you will keep all treatments. For example I only provide massage/waxing/tinting although qualified to level 3 beauty general with electricals. It is hard to resell products without incurring a loss and working out pricing structures and target market whilst training can be tough. You often drop treatments i.e I studied l2 beauty and did make up however do not offer this.

Sorry I cannot offer trade prices as this is not allowed on this site.

Thank you for your advice. Yes I am also thinking make up will not be something I would offer it is waxing and facials that I would like to add to my services but as you say I suppose you never know what you will like or hate, add/drop! I just hate wasting money on products that end up unused. Ive seen kaeso in ellisons which I'm due to order from so Il have a look x

Hi, are you studying at a college? Our college uses ellisons as their kit provider. A lot of the products in my kit were ellisons own brand and our mani/pedi products are kaeso. As the facial products weren't included in our kit I chose to use Kaeso as ellisons do a kit which is cheap. As for waxing I've bought a heater from ebay and I'm going to order some bits from ellisons. Hope this helps!!

Thank you for your advice. Yes I am also thinking make up will not be something I would offer it is waxing and facials that I would like to add to my services but as you say I suppose you never know what you will like or hate, add/drop! I just hate wasting money on products that end up unused. Ive seen kaeso in ellisons which I'm due to order from so Il have a look x

As it seems you already have some clientele ask your existing clients about any requirements they have. For example some Lycon waxing contains nuts so would not suit a person with nut allergies.That could help wittle down your product choice.

Hi Claire

I completed my level 2 last June but I offered treatments while studying (reduced rate) under my student insurance. I used the salon services range - got the large sensitive and little packs of the dry and oily. People were more than happy to pay £12.50 for an hour facial. Once qualified I ordered Eve Taylor and never looked back - however, you may or may not be surprised to hear that this is not be top treatment as some people view them as a treat. I do have some client who comes every month.

Waxing is my love and I make a lot of my money doing this treatments. I use Adam and Eve hot wax - their coconut and lime is perfect for facial, underarm and bikini waxing. I've tried a few brands but would never change now - love it! I use a cheaper strip wax -either your salon store or salon services as I go through so much and need a brand I can pick up at a store if I run out. I use creme wax as I HATE honey wax but everyone has their preference.

I wish you all the best. Products are very important but do not forget about your customer service, skill and timings - people will usually return for the therapist (personality, feel comfortable and skill).

Thank you everyone think I will pick up a mini skincare kit but wait till my training to decide on wax stuff as not a clue about waxing yet! Ugg73 how are you doing now you are qualified do you feel confident in your treatments? I'm a little scared lol its alot of money to spend and also waxing scares me alot!! X

Try Monu Skincare for a student kit. Years ago I purchased my kit from them. Products are professional and are very good.

Latest posts

Back