Painful hair extensions

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cobweb

Reaction score
Hi all,
My friend had some extensions put in today, but they were done very close to her scalp. She is now in a lot of pain.
Is this normal?
Thanks
Deb x

is it her first set of extensions. (im not qualified but have read up quiet a lot about this as its something id like to become qualified in) someone with more experience may be able to offer better advice.

a number of things could cause discomfort, allergic reaction to a product used (ie the bonds, or silicon in the micro ring) , the weight of the extensions, tight fitting or not fitted correctly, tension in the extensions fitting. or just the general settling period after having them fitted (a shock to the head/scalp and needs time to adjust)

its normal when extensions are first fitted for them to be quiet close to the scalp as they last on average 3ish months and in this time work down as the hair grows. but the extension should be movable in every direction (up , down , left , right) without restriction or tension and should lie flat against the head (not stick out). slight discomfort (from research) is normal this is normally where your hair/scalp is adjusting to the newly fitted extensions and should settle after a few days.
if the pain is more than slight discomfort or continues for a week or more i would defiantly contact the person who fitted them for further advice.

i hope this helps and hope the pain eases soon

If it's a plated weave then they will be close and tight at first! It's a scalp plait just like when you used to get braids done when you went on holiday!

Tell her to take some ibuprofen and see how she is in the morning if it's no better contact the extensionist that fit them

if a weave it does hurt and can be uncomfortable to sleep in for the first few nights untill it settles but this is usually standard aftercare advice with this kind of hair extensions it's really depends on what type of extensions she's had x

I do extensions - hair extensions may feel abit uncomfortable at first especially when putting them up etc (only in the first few days) untill they lossen up abit but they shouldn't hurt.

IF they were fitted correctly she would not be in pain, i would say a mild discomfort which normally goes after a couple of days BUT if she is in pain and they hurt this is down to a tight fitting and can cause damage.

You should not have to take any medication once you have extensions fitted, again this is down to the fitting and there should always be around 1 centimetre gap between the hair and extensions

Latest posts

Back