Question about setting up a salon from home

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Prettyinpink85

Reaction score
I am in the process of setting my own salon up at home and am converting our upstairs lounge into a proper salon, is it acceptable to have a salon on the 1st floor? Obviously if the client is disabled or finds stairs hard I will either do a home visit or carry their treatment out in our kitchen on the ground floor.

Danni

I am also opening a salon at home but is next to the front door and close to a cloakroom. I personally would not use an upstairs room not just because of disabled people but i wouldn't like my clients to wonder around my house. Especially if is a new client or who you can't trust.
My partners stepsister is a massage therapist she uses an upstairs room which is situated just at the top of the stairs but every single time i go to have a massage i can just pop my eyes at her girls room and even their bedroom!!! It is a little embarrassing to see what the state of the rooms are or what they are doing at the moment.
If you still considering to do an upstairs room just make sure that all room doors are closed when a client comes! Put away any valuable goods away from sight
Hope it helps :green:

It would be a good idea to contact your local council about a salon upstairs in your home. Find out what local legislation requires. Don't be afraid to do this as I found our council quite helpful.

Not all salons, be they beauty, massage or nails are based on the ground level or even have disabled access to the upper floors. This also does not necessarily mean that you have to go mobile for a disabled client.

What is important is that you check with your council and your insurance company to make certain that you have adequate fire escape access, smoke dectectors and that your stairs to your 1st floor salon is not an accident risk eg. loose stair carpets or slippery wooden floors.

Many insurers only cover 3rd party injury in the actual treatment room and not the access to the treatment room eg. the hallway or stairs. So I advise getting this checked out.

Thanks for both of your advice, I was going to keep the other bedroom doors shut for sure and as I am planning on putting tea and coffee facilities in the actual room I will be with client at all times so think I should be ok on that front. The problem is we have a downstairs dining room, kitchen and lounge but it's just not possible to convert any of those rooms as they are needed pretty much all the time otherwise I would definately have put it on the ground floor.

Will get in touch with the council but don't think it will be a problem as the house we have we have done lots of ammendments to and they have been fine with them all, almost like they couldnt care less lol.

Danni x

quote=Mrs.Clooney;756631]It would be a good idea to contact your local council about a salon upstairs in your home. Find out what local legislation requires. Don't be afraid to do this as I found our council quite helpful.

Not all salons, be they beauty, massage or nails are based on the ground level or even have disabled access to the upper floors. This also does not necessarily mean that you have to go mobile for a disabled client.

What is important is that you check with your council and your insurance company to make certain that you have adequate fire escape access, smoke dectectors and that your stairs to your 1st floor salon is not an accident risk eg. loose stair carpets or slippery wooden floors.

Many insurers only cover 3rd party injury in the actual treatment room and not the access to the treatment room eg. the hallway or stairs. So I advise getting this checked out.[/quote]

Latest posts

Back