Rent a chair/booth-How much would you pay?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beckybee

Reaction score
Hi All

Long story short, we inherited a small shop from my father in-law. My husband bought the shop next door to it, to expand his business (sign maker)

Hubby has fitted out the down stairs for his business, its now time to decide on what to do upstairs. I run a small salon about 10 miles away, so don`t wont really to open up a version 2.

Rent a chair or booth keeps coming back to me. where all I do is collect the rent. If I can run a few things past you and if you could give me your honest thoughts I would be most grateful.

The shop/s are on quite a busy main road in stoke on trent. There are 3 large windows looking down onto the main road. Up stairs is accessed via an iron stair case at the rear of the shop. There is a carpark at the rear. Once into the building you walk along a corridor to the main reception area, there are seats etc. there is room for about 9 chairs/booths to the right of reception.
To the left there is space for a selection of other beauty treatments, nails, massage, tanning (either booths or spray or both)
Behind reception there is a staffroom and of course there will be both staff and customer toilets.

The town where it is is not large, residential areas very close by, there would be only little passing footfall.

Thoughts would include a website with links to chairs FB page or their own website, it would be on a 6 month contract, any walk ins would be next empty chair available or other ideas welcome! To include in the monthly charge advertising in the local paper, banners, a boards outside, good shop sign etc, a pdq teminal if required. all bills are included in the rent.

Loads more to be sorted, nothings set in stone as its all in my head, somethings still need alot more though.

Please give me your thoughts, am i silly thinking this will work, should I stick to my little place and leave it to the big guys, am I in over my head.

If its a go, how much can I charge per week/month? while I don`t want ot overcharge i need to make money as I`ll hve to borrow some to complete the alterations etc.

Forgot to add nobody close by doing hair.

HELP!

Becky xxxxx

Last edited:
I can't help too much but I rent a chair it's £55 a day this includes my chair, electric and water.
Everything else I pay 25% of (business cards, towels, etc)
Then I pay for all of my own stock and insurance.
I pay out between £1500-£2000 a month just for myself.
It's a joke! But I earn a decent living.

I would like to add, I'm an extremely busy stylist with a strong clientele.
But maybe new people looking to rent will not be able to afford this.
I'm in a small town and we have no parking.

I can't help too much but I rent a chair it's £55 a day this includes my chair, electric and water.
Everything else I pay 25% of (business cards, towels, etc)
Then I pay for all of my own stock and insurance.
I pay out between £1500-£2000 a month just for myself.
It's a joke! But I earn a decent living.

wow, that seems alot, where in the UK are you.

Thank you for the reply x

Just to put a different spin on this I pay £495 per calendar month for my 2 chair salon with all utility bills and rates included.

Average daily fee in my town is £20-£35 a day.

Sorry to hijack the thread.....

I got an amazing deal.... The salon that I rent a room from is in a perfect location about 10 minutes out of town and has it's own well established community and is the first point of call for the surrounding villages. There is free ample parking outside too. There are just two of us, me and the girls who's mom owns the salon.

I pay £50 a week! YES PER WEEK!

That's doing my own hours as I have my own set of keys. It includes all bills but I buy my own stock and get my own insurance. I also get to use the sun bed for free. The girl I work with is lovely and we get on very well. I've been here for about 2 years now and I wish I couldn't change it but unfortunately she is shutting up shop next May as she's decided she wants a home salon. She's already had the builders in who've been working away for a few weeks now. I don't know what I am going to do?! I have worked in other salons and hated it and frankly it's expensive ( going rate it £25 a day up to £200 pw ). I'd love to take over this salon but not sure that I'd get the finance for it and it's a massive risk personally. I've also done mobile which I didn't enjoy. She's asked me if I want to go with her!

Decisions, decisions. . .

Sorry to hijack the thread.....

I got an amazing deal.... The salon that I rent a room from is in a perfect location about 10 minutes out of town and has it's own well established community and is the first point of call for the surrounding villages. There is free ample parking outside too. There are just two of us, me and the girls who's mom owns the salon.

I pay £50 a week! YES PER WEEK!

That's doing my own hours as I have my own set of keys. It includes all bills but I buy my own stock and get my own insurance. I also get to use the sun bed for free. The girl I work with is lovely and we get on very well. I've been here for about 2 years now and I wish I couldn't change it but unfortunately she is shutting up shop next May as she's decided she wants a home salon. She's already had the builders in who've been working away for a few weeks now. I don't know what I am going to do?! I have worked in other salons and hated it and frankly it's expensive ( going rate it £25 a day up to £200 pw ). I'd love to take over this salon but not sure that I'd get the finance for it and it's a massive risk personally. I've also done mobile which I didn't enjoy. She's asked me if I want to go with her!

Decisions, decisions. . .

hi, thank you for your comments, the price you pay is v cheap imho. good luck with any decision you make. x

Just to put a different spin on this I pay £495 per calendar month for my 2 chair salon with all utility bills and rates included.

Average daily fee in my town is £20-£35 a day.

good price, an empty shop would cost at least £300 per month, with bills on top.

good price, an empty shop would cost at least £300 per month, with bills on top.

God your lucky to find a stripped out shop in essex that needs all work doing for much less than £1,000 per month plus bills.

We had a small shop on a parade of shops as a sales office. If you stuck your arms out at the side you would touch both walls in depth and width was about 15ft. That was £400 per month plus utilities but that's cheap for the area.

God your lucky to find a stripped out shop in essex that needs all work doing for much less than £1,000 per month plus bills.

We had a small shop on a parade of shops as a sales office. If you stuck your arms out at the side you would touch both walls in depth and width was about 15ft. That was £400 per month plus utilities but that's cheap for the area.

In the stoke on Trent area, small shops go for £300/£400 pcm upwards, of course it depends upon what area, size, condition etc. If you were in Hanley area the cost would be alot more ( large shopping centre etc)

In Nottingham city centre I pay £1200 pm for a 3 floor beautiful building. I charge £40 per day chair rent

In Nottingham city centre I pay £1200 pm for a 3 floor beautiful building. I charge £40 per day chair rent

thanks Amy, how many chairs do you rent out?

Latest posts

Back