SPMU, differences in councils

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StudioP

Reaction score
Looking for advice and space to vent about London Councils and Special Treatments Licensing.

It seems like they make arbitrary rules without thinking if they are effective in keeping the public safe. Most Councils have required a Beauty Therapy NVQ - when I comment that Beauty Therapists aren't necessarily semi-permanent makeup artists they just shrug. On the flip side I had 80 hours of in a tattoo course including health & safety, physiology etc, and a dozen brows/liner clients (in North America when I'm from) - but cannot obtain a license.

Some Councils (Kingston) have advised I need NVQ Level 4 in Micropigmentation ?! - not even the most artistic and qualified techs will have this today. It just seems like some made up certificate for private beauty schools to cash cheques from.

Anyway those of you who've navigated this hurdle successfully - I salute you.

Looking for advice and space to vent about London Councils and Special Treatments Licensing.

It seems like they make arbitrary rules without thinking if they are effective in keeping the public safe. Most Councils have required a Beauty Therapy NVQ - when I comment that Beauty Therapists aren't necessarily semi-permanent makeup artists they just shrug. On the flip side I had 80 hours of in a tattoo course including health & safety, physiology etc, and a dozen brows/liner clients (in North America when I'm from) - but cannot obtain a license.

Some Councils (Kingston) have advised I need NVQ Level 4 in Micropigmentation ?! - not even the most artistic and qualified techs will have this today. It just seems like some made up certificate for private beauty schools to cash cheques from.

Anyway those of you who've navigated this hurdle successfully - I salute you.

My council require you to have a licence for most beauty treatments, to 'protect the public'.:cool:
That's fine by me BUT.....Although all salons have to have this or face a hefty fine, they will not be pursuing the mobile operator!!!!o_O
WHY NOT.
Well, obviously, that would require more man hours.
I accept rules, and agree with regulating the industry....but this isn't a fair playing field.:(

You could try writing to your local councillor pointing out the anomalies and requesting sensible amendments to the rules?

You could try writing to your local councillor pointing out the anomalies and requesting sensible amendments to the rules?

I did more than that....spent an hour in discussion with them.....
Although they understood my view, they could only reiterate that they are long over due bringing in the licence, and are just falling into line with the other London boroughs.

The whole issue I have with them not pursuing the mobile, fell on deaf ears.

At the time I had a self employed nail tech.
As she was trying to build her business, I was not charging for the station.
When I got my visit from the council, informing me of the new regulations, £400 per year for offering a nail service, I had to bring in a rent to justify the licence.
No surprise, the nail tech decided she'd just go mobile.

The council member just shrugged her shoulders when I told her.
Now the nail tech can work mobile,without a licence, no restrictions, use whatever chemicals she chooses, and wipe her nippers on the back of her jeans if she so wishes...no one will be watching!

Grrr! That must have been hugely frustrating at the time. I hope you told her you wouldn't be voting for her at the next election?

This is something that HABIA and other interest groups should really be lobbying for. Unfortunately, the beauty industry isn't known for its militant tendencies so few people are likely to get involved in trying to bring about workable changes that put client safety alongside small business needs.

It's very short sighted thinking but then, that's how most politicians work these days. :rolleyes:

Grrr! That must have been hugely frustrating at the time. I hope you told her you wouldn't be voting for her at the next election?

This is something that HABIA and other interest groups should really be lobbying for. Unfortunately, the beauty industry isn't known for its militant tendencies so few people are likely to get involved in trying to bring about workable changes that put client safety alongside small business needs.

It's very short sighted thinking but then, that's how most politicians work these days. :rolleyes:

Don't get me wrong, I think we need to regulate the industry...but how can that be done?
Those who bring the profession into disrepute by having inadequate training/hygiene/using non professional products etc, will not present themselves at the council office to register!
So the premise of 'protecting the public' is farcical, when those causing the problem, remain unchecked.:confused:

Completely agree with above ! Interesting points on going mobile. It just occurred to me I should have filed this under "Business".

Nobody has assured me I'll even be inspected/visited by the council, what's the point of paying a license fee and jumping through hoops if the council does not even do the minimum? What's the money going towards?

My particular frustration: cosmetic tattooing is a new field. I completely understand wanting there to be a base level of experience. But a beauty therapy qualification does not = experience in tattooing. In theory a Beauty Therapist can take a 1 day microblading course (yes they exist and they are scary!) and be licensed to tattoo someone's face.

Unfortunately I'm Canadian and don't have a vote here. I can only pester the Council Admins enough to see my point.

God speed my friends ! [emoji51]

Latest posts

Back