staffing options

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

angelina221

Master Lash Tech
Reaction score
i am currently in the process of buying my own hair and beauty salon and i now need to think about staff. i'm just wondering what other people do and what works for them. is it better to rent rooms, work on commission or to employ staff? i have the hair salon which has 3 workstations and then i have a further 5 rooms which i am hoping to use as beauty rooms, tanning room and piercing/tattoo. that's a lot of staff so i was wondering if it would be easier to rent. i'm a bit worried about having self-employed staff though as i've heard some horror stories but then i'm sure there are horror stories for every situation!! i'm really excited about opening but i'm really in a quandry about how best to go about the staffing so if anyone could give me their advice that would be great:) thanks-angelina

I personally employ my staff as I felt that I could keep a 'tighter ship' that way. If we have gaps between clients then the girls all muck in with cleaning, leaflet drops, stock taking, mailshots, admin etc etc I don't know how this would work for commission only or room rental staff. They may not keep things to the standard I would like and may not want to help with reception etc as they are not getting paid for it. I can also set the working hours that are mutually beneficial, provide the products that I want used, and have the treatments carried out how I want them to be.

On the flip side, at the beginning you may not be very busy and all of your staff will have to be paid regardless. You have maternity pay and sick pay responsibilities, lots of tax and NI to pay. Holidays must be paid too. Maybe a low basic hourly rate plus commission on treatments would be good?

If you end up a busy salon you would probably make a bigger profit (depending on what you wanted to pay your staff vs room rental of course) if you employed. I also found after asking around that a lot of people prefer to be employed as it gives a guarenteed wage each week plus hols and the other benefits mentioned before, and some don't want to have the hassle of doing their own books and paying tax and NI themselves.

I can see that room rental would give you a steady income each week regardless of how busy or quiet you are which would be good especially at the beginning.

It maybe worth employing your core staff and having other staff on another basis to fill up your remaining rooms??

Its a tricky one - sorry i have rambled on a bit and havent made a lot of sense!!

Wishing you all the best in your new venture xxx :hug:

Latest posts

Back