What have I done wrong or is it the tips?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kerriequinton01

Reaction score
hi geeks. did my friends nails thursday evening... and shes sent me a message saying this had happend...she doesnt know how...feeling a bit down as only second time i have done her.is it the tips? they are pre-designed glitter tips,dont use pre-designed often,but when i have, never had a problem, and they cured fine etc i use nsi balance gel, not had this happen before, from start to finish i did...

sanitise
cuticle away
cuticle pusher
file and buff.
pure plus. then apply tips, shape etc
apply nsi bond to natrual nail, leave to dry for 30 seconds- 1 min
apply thin base layer-cure for 2 mins
apply apex layer- cure for 2 mins.
file into shape.
(apply nail art sticker)
apply glaze n go.

any advice or help :(

Attachments

• image_1362248237749635.jpg
    image_1362248237749635.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 730
Sorry bit confused. What's actually happened? Has a tip broken off? Judging from your pictures the tips look too long and also there doesn't appear to be much of an apex. Both these factors will result in breakages. Hth x

Didn't want to read and run :) it looks as though you haven't built up the gel enough which caused the crack? If you look down the barrel you'll notice where it's much thinner is where it has cracked. When she comes back just be very cautious of how you build up the apex x

hi geeks. did my friends nails thursday evening... and shes sent me a message saying this had happend...she doesnt know how...feeling a bit down as only second time i have done her.is it the tips? they are pre-designed glitter tips,dont use pre-designed often,but when i have, never had a problem, and they cured fine etc i use nsi balance gel, not had this happen before, from start to finish i did...

sanitise
cuticle away
cuticle pusher
file and buff.
pure plus. then apply tips, shape etc
apply nsi bond to natrual nail, leave to dry for 30 seconds- 1 min
apply thin base layer-cure for 2 mins
apply apex layer- cure for 2 mins.
file into shape.
(apply nail art sticker)
apply glaze n go.

any advice or help :(
hi correct me if I'm wrong anyone aren't we supposed to use clear tips for gel for curing process . Or am I wrong . Tips look too big and need to b shaped and can't see apex . Sorry I'm not a pro yet . X

hi correct me if I'm wrong anyone aren't we supposed to use clear tips for gel for curing process . Or am I wrong . Tips look too big and need to b shaped and can't see apex . Sorry I'm not a pro yet . X

thanks for your replys hun, apex is what i really am trying to build on, sometimes i even put an extra lyer on, just mainly on the stress area and apex just to build more strenth... i didnt feel this was the case... sorry didnt explain proply... as far as shes has said and they looks of the photo, they have chipped, but its both thumbs, same corner, i asked if she has catched, or cought n she said no.. so have respected her anser, and have asumed it is me, or the tips. she has said all other nails are fine. is my metherd ok? am i doing it correct? have i missed something?

thanks for your replys geeks.

Didn't want to read and run :) it looks as though you haven't built up the gel enough which caused the crack? If you look down the barrel you'll notice where it's much thinner is where it has cracked. When she comes back just be very cautious of how you build up the apex x

thanks for your reply...apex is built, but may have not built enough? :/ just strange its on both thumbs, same sides.. did maybe think that becoz its a dark tip it might have not cured proply??

thanks again hun x

thanks for your reply...apex is built, but may have not built enough? :/ just strange its on both thumbs, same sides.. did maybe think that becoz its a dark tip it might have not cured proply??

thanks again hun x

It definitely hasn't been built up enough. In the photo the corners look very thin so overall it just might not have the strength, especially because she has them longer x

thanks for your replys hun, apex is what i really am trying to build on, sometimes i even put an extra lyer on, just mainly on the stress area and apex just to build more strenth... i didnt feel this was the case... sorry didnt explain proply... as far as shes has said and they looks of the photo, they have chipped, but its both thumbs, same corner, i asked if she has catched, or cought n she said no.. so have respected her anser, and have asumed it is me, or the tips. she has said all other nails are fine. is my metherd ok? am i doing it correct? have i missed something?

thanks for your replys geeks.
You do need to pinch your tips more using a pinching tool. Your tips look really wide:eek: and you do need to build a thicker apex ! It could also be the fact you placed the gel too close to the nail wall as this causes lifting if a very tiny space is not given causing it to crack. Forgive me if i am wrong, but it does also look as tho you placed your tips too far down the free edge. if she is a nail biter i would i stick to sculpting using a form rather then tips hope this helps ;)

It definitely hasn't been built up enough. In the photo the corners look very thin so overall it just might not have the strength, especially because she has them longer x

ok hun. can i just start again as if i was rebalancing? but fill in the chip as well? do you think that would work? :/

thanks for your reply x

You do need to pinch your tips more using a pinching tool. Your tips look really wide:eek: and you do need to build a thicker apex ! It could also be the fact you placed the gel too close to the nail wall as this causes lifting if a very tiny space is not given causing it to crack. Forgive me if i am wrong, but it does also look as tho you placed your tips too far down the free edge. if she is a nail biter i would i stick to sculpting using a form rather then tips hope this helps ;)

thanks for your reply hun. she has short nail beds. but she likes her nails long. which is why i really try n build the apex...obs didnt do great on thumbs :/
going to get her back in n have a look.

thanks again for helping and replying :) x

I can't really see the sides or down the barrel to assume anything about the shape, but as others have pointed out- I don't know if your friend uses her hand a lot, but if she does, those are a bit too long for her. Since the chipping occurred on the tips and there's no lifting anywhere else, I would assume the gel hasn't properly bonded to the tips. Because they were predesigned tips, it's hard to take off the shine from them without removing the design.

I think in the future, you should use clear or natural tips and use a premixed glitter or colored gel for the tip so that you'd have more freedom with how to handle the tip's surface. Predesigned tips limit you from buffing the surface and blending for a better nail structure. Plus, if you're building a French design on her, you'd be able to make a smile line more suited for her fingers. Those tips lack a smile line, thus, they make her nails look wide and flat. x

Hey girl :) you have come such a long way! You are using better Terminology. You seem to have your steps down. Now it's time for you to kick it up a notch and do big girls nails! That is where form is king! It's time for you to start refining you nails. I can see you love nail art and colored tips. Please put them away until you can build a perfectly shaped nail. Spend the time on construction. You will wish for a large clientele of various ages. You would benefit being able to do nails for more than your age group.

I would also suggest when you file from the side wall, keep your elbow in at your side. Your file should be straight up and down. You should be able to see the edge of file.
I'm very proud of your progress and continued passion. You will get there!

I've read and re-read the tutorials attached. Going to read them again.

http://www.salongeek.com/nail-application/10070-brush-control-when-using-gel.html

http://www.salongeek.com/nail-finishing-maintenance/8286-file-control-part-1-getting-grip.html

http://www.salongeek.com/nail-finishing-maintenance/9201-perfect-form-s-all-matter-degree.html

Hey girl :) you have come such a long way! You are using better Terminology. You seem to have your steps down. Now it's time for you to kick it up a notch and do big girls nails! That is where form is king! It's time for you to start refining you nails. I can see you love nail art and colored tips. Please put them away until you can build a perfectly shaped nail. Spend the time on construction. You will wish for a large clientele of various ages. You would benefit being able to do nails for more than your age group.

I would also suggest when you file from the side wall, keep your elbow in at your side. Your file should be straight up and down. You should be able to see the edge of file.
I'm very proud of your progress and continued passion. You will get there!

I've read and re-read the tutorials attached. Going to read them again.

http://www.salongeek.com/nail-application/10070-brush-control-when-using-gel.html

http://www.salongeek.com/nail-finishing-maintenance/8286-file-control-part-1-getting-grip.html

http://www.salongeek.com/nail-finishing-maintenance/9201-perfect-form-s-all-matter-degree.html

aww bo , that brought a tear to my eye!!!.thank you!! yes thing are really good atm. this is my first problem since starting fresh. have JUST started getting rid of the pre-designed tips, this is the first set i have done in a little while, witch made me think the reason its chipped is because it hasnt cured propley! have just started doing my own glitter,will upload of pic of mine i did yestoday...very happy with them.learning how to infill atm,so i buffed of my colour i had on off,preped, applyed a small ball of gel,dipped into glitter,then applyed to tips,cured,removed taky layer,filed into shape( only a tad so smooth) and did apex overlay,-cure-then glaze n go) i have had these tips on for...a month now,second time i have done infill ( on my self) and first time i have applyed my own glitter. what do you think? :)can you tell all my hard work n reaserch is starting to pay off ( apart from this set ) :( thanks for all you help and support boo! and you other geeks :) xx

will have a look at those thread boo, thanks alot chick!

ps: yes she said she did the washing up? im sure she had just knocked them and they have chipped due to, no strench or not settled (cured) propley on tip. my little mistake :/ will get her in and have a look. luckly she is a friend.will know for next time. think pre-designed is the old me, the new me is do and make it yourself :)!!!!

thanks again :)

Attachments

• 549321_10151451197022621_884964822_n.jpg
    549321_10151451197022621_884964822_n.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 319
I can't really see the sides or down the barrel to assume anything about the shape, but as others have pointed out- I don't know if your friend uses her hand a lot, but if she does, those are a bit too long for her. Since the chipping occurred on the tips and there's no lifting anywhere else, I would assume the gel hasn't properly bonded to the tips. Because they were predesigned tips, it's hard to take off the shine from them without removing the design.

I think in the future, you should use clear or natural tips and use a premixed glitter or colored gel for the tip so that you'd have more freedom with how to handle the tip's surface. Predesigned tips limit you from buffing the surface and blending for a better nail structure. Plus, if you're building a French design on her, you'd be able to make a smile line more suited for her fingers. Those tips lack a smile line, thus, they make her nails look wide and flat. x

i have built the apex.. i allways do... but i might not have built is enough for support. thank you, have just started apply the glitter my self,and much better then pre-designed. do think it could be that facted it didnt cure propley due to tips, but know this for future. thanks again !! xxx

You can always try stringing the gel across the stress point and up and down the center (like a cross) then flip the client's hand over for a few seconds to draw the gel up a little before curing to ensure theres an apex and a good "spine" :) happy to hear you were able to assess and fix the issue x

You can always try stringing the gel across the stress point and up and down the center (like a cross) then flip the client's hand over for a few seconds to draw the gel up a little before curing to ensure theres an apex and a good "spine" :) happy to hear you were able to assess and fix the issue x

i tend to apply the apex layer down the middle,then with the left over gel on brush and with the gel on nail,just pull a little(and i mean i little) at a time towards the free edge and side wall to cover the nail. then flip hand to build the apex if it has started to run whilst i was doing that.

thanks for you reply and support :)

Latest posts

Back