What were you qualified in when you set up shop?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PinkSwoon

Reaction score
Afternoon everyone :) Hope we are all doing well!

The title of this thread is self-explanatory really. I have a big idea in my head of opening a salon and ultimately that is what I want to do. I'm going back to college to do L2 Beauty Therapy (Makeup Route) for a year & then L3 Media & SFX Makeup after that but obviously I'm worried this will not be enough, especially as I have no previous salon experience! I know that learning in college is never enough anyway & it's just the basics, you learn more when you get out into the industry which is understandable.

What were you qualified in when you set up shop?
In your professional opinion, do you think it's even possible for someone to set up their own business without any work experience?

Thankyou in advance for any replies :) they would be really helpful!

x

Ps. I have searched & it didn't amount to anything useful.

A little bump :)

Hiya, when I set up my business I had my Level 2 and 3 beauty therapy, spray tanning, body wraps, deep tissue massage and advanced massage techniques and was starting my level 3 in sports massage.
When I qualified in level 2 I started working from home and always continued to do so throughout the years.
I had 2 years salon experience then a break while I had my kids, then threw myself back into it, setting up my business properly and have since qualified in microdermabrasion, had 1 to 1 training for gel nail enhancements and nail art, qualified in fashion and photographic make up and am about to undertake a special effects make up course and have a few more courses planned.

I think the key is to always be professional, carry out your treatments to the highest standards and keep up with your education. If you treat it as a 'proper' business and keep up with your book keeping, etc then you can be successful.

It is always good to have industry experience working in a salon environment but sometimes it just isn't possible and there are lots of successful geeks on here who went straight from education to running their own business. X

Last edited:
Thankyou Pinkfairy for your reply! That is also along the lines of what I plan to do, you've instilled some much needed confidence in me already haha it's just so scary! Obviously this is going to be a few years away but I like to plan ahead :p x

Thankyou Pinkfairy for your reply! That is also along the lines of what I plan to do, you've instilled some much needed confidence in me already haha it's just so scary! Obviously this is going to be a few years away but I like to plan ahead :p x

It's a.ways good to have a plan and ambitions, just get as much education and experience as you can and always keep learning.

Take any opportunity you can for experience too :) x

hiya i am setting up in the back of a hairdressers i qualified in l2 last june, did spray tanning last feb, gel polish course, sweedish massage, short course in gels and acrylics but am now doing nail tech course through college and am doing the hd type eyebrow course in feb, then after that plan to do intimate waxing course, nail art and look more into makeup.

albarn you are definitely a busy bee! Ahh this has made me breathe a sigh of relief, I'm so scared of failure it's unreal so want to make sure I have all the ingredients to make a success of myself! x

Hiya!

Qualification wise- I have BSc degree in Physiology. L2 in Beauty Therapy, L3 in Complementary and Holistic Therapies, L2 in Nail Tech, Hands free massage, Pregnancy Massage, and Threading.

Ideally I wanted to work in a salon and gain experience and a know-how of the runnings of a salon but no-one would take me coz of the lack of experience. So I did loads of voluntary work and charity events etc, but still not getting a job... so decided to the set up shop by myself... Its a MASSIVE learning curve and there are things that I would do differently if I was to do it all again... but given the circumstances and situation I was in before, I dont regret setting up shop.... its bit of a struggle at the moment but I'm also working part-time in an office and if times are hard, I can work more at the office and to then later spend on my Massage business!

So it will work out in the end.... just keep at it... and have faith! :D

Good Luck
xxx

Hellooo MermaidsSecret! I soooo feel what you said! That's exactly my position! Thankyou very much for your advice, I don't feel as much of a stark raving lunatic now ha ha :p x

hello i too had that situation, nobody will give you a chance i've done voluntary work experience but then your not aloud to touch anybody, offered to do free work for experience but nobody wants to no because i didnt do l3!! so i managed to get in a salon because someone already working there recomended me from seeing my work, but then had a disasterous time with the boss and my confidence was at rock bottom, so left took a few weeks out and then went mobile. now i just think im ready to try an make a go of it in this other salon and like said its all about learning and keeping on top of your training and keeping up to date with whats new.:eek:

Latest posts

Back