Where to start?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KelseyGetLashed

Reaction score
I currently work part time in admin and part time doing LVL treatments mobile or in one of my spare rooms... But I want more!

I've been toying with the idea of training in semi-permanent cosmetics with Nouveau as I'd really like to make a career out of this. I get married this year and children will be on the horizon in the next year or so, so I wanted to take the plunge before I had any extra commitments and hopefully have a good base to then work my chosen hours around childcare.

Sooo, my main issue has been premises as it's not something I can do mobile. Originally I was looking at converting my detached garage into a beauty room. It would need a few £K spent on it to get it right but then it's all lost if/when we move. My next thought was renting/buying premises but then I don't want to be there full time and don't think it looks good when a shop's stood closed half the week.

So the 3rd and final thought is do I just take the plunge and open a full blown salon? 😱

Other than LVL I'm not beauty trained (although I spend half my life in salons as a customer) but would only want to concentrate on SPMU and the running of the business. Obviously this would mean I would need somebody in to take charge of the 'other' beauty side. My main reason for this is it would mean the shop would be open full time (hopefully) and the basic beauty treatments would be steady away (hopefully again) to help cover costs. It would also mean customers who came for their standard nail treatment for example, would have their eyes opened to the prospect of SPMU, which they might not otherwise have had.

Obviously there's the major factors to consider, premises, salaries, finding the right staff etc but can anybody give me any advice on where to start with all of this? Have you taken the plunge and how has it worked out? Have you got an hints and tips? Should I just sack it off and run for the hills?

Any help whatsoever would be greatly received!

Thanks in advance, Kelsey xx

Hi Kelsey,

The only person who can answer the question is you because running a business requires that little extra ingredient that only you would know if you have it.

Many start businesses and quickly realise that they need business skills. I mentor a lot of young businesses, and strongly recommend that you take as much business training as possible. Now that doesn't have to be expensive, and it doesn't mean that you will end up studying for years before you start you business.

There is a very good set of courses run across the country by Peter Jones from the Dragons Den, Peter Jones Enterprise Academy | Entrepreneurs are not born THEY. Contact your local academy and speak to a course advisor.

Being in business should not be about guess work and hope, it should be about making informed decisions that minimise risk.

Probably not the answer you want, but I do believe if business is right for you, you will find the way to make it work, but don't do it with one hand tied behind your back.

Where to start?

I think it's really hard to set up any business then take time off to have children. If you are offering treatments from a converted garage, you can at least fit it around your life and children. I have a salon and am there on average 12 hours a day, sometime's more, including Sundays in occasion. It really is a labour of love. My employee is my daughter. No one will work as hard as me, but my daughter comes a pretty close second and she gets paid really well for it.

I don't know if and how an employee would manage a salon for you to the degree you would like. There are huge costs involved. Our refit is costing thousands. Can you afford to open a salon and have minimal income for probably at least 2 years if not more?

I don't know what the demand for semi perm is but it is tough to excel in.

I think you need to look long and hard at the costs involved and the income it will generate. I truly believe a business that grows organically will have a far greater chance of success than one that opens with no clients but plenty of optimism!

Good luck

Vicki x

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Thanks ladies, both your comments make complete sense and I'm fully aware of the hard work I'd need to put in to get going.

I've been doing LVL a year this month and I'd say I've built up quite a nice client base so far. I have over 200 likes on my FB page (might not sound a lot to established companies but considering I only do this on an evening and weekend around my other job I'm pretty chuffed with where I'm at so far). I've got a nice pool of 'regulars' and this month for example I've got 37 ladies booked in already (and I've got a week off for my wedding!) It's a fantastic month don't get me wrong but I'm not afraid of hard work and doing everything to build my client base.

My friend is a fully trained beautician who works from a spare room at home so there's the option of approaching her to get involved as I trust her 100% but I know it boils down to figures.

Has anybody started a salon with limited beauty experience but employed the people in the know? So many questions!! Xx

Has anybody started a salon with limited beauty experience but employed the people in the know? So many questions!! Xx

I'm sports & remedial massage therapist and bought my hair & beauty salon three years ago.

I'm sports & remedial massage therapist and bought my hair & beauty salon three years ago.

Did you do any training or just employee people to carry out the treatments?

I've never been interested in training in the whole waxing tanning nails etc but I realise a salon dedicated purely to SPMU isn't going to have bums on seats as such so wanted somebody else to do this side but obviously I'd oversee the day to day running and stock etc xx

Did you do any training or just employee people to carry out the treatments?

I've never been interested in training in the whole waxing tanning nails etc but I realise a salon dedicated purely to SPMU isn't going to have bums on seats as such so wanted somebody else to do this side but obviously I'd oversee the day to day running and stock etc xx

This is my second career after working in the electronics industry. As part of my massage training there are modules relating to working in a salon. Although I've employed a manager, I'm doing a hairdressing apprenticeship and work on the shop floor one day a week as a junior.

A modern salon is a multidisciplinary team, and therefore not all owners cover all the different treatments. But that doesn't mean they shouldn't have an eye for the detail.

I guess the advantage I have, is that I can spend the time needed on marketing, doing the books etc.

Latest posts

Back