Why such ridgey nails?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Missashhh

Reaction score
So Im waiting to attend beauty school and in the mean time I am a DIY-er, so dont scold me too badly :p I recently did my nails with artificial tips, used a gel-glue to apply, then did a thin acrylic base with gel over top (it was method I saw on YouTube?). I got sick of em after a week so I simply popped them off. They look very very ridgey now and the white of the nail has yellowed a little.

I dont have the best of nails to begin with, they seem pretty brittle, dry, some often split down the middle and many break easily once they grow out a tad (I rarely get or do any nail treatments/extensions).
But I was curious was caused them to look so much worse and so ridgey after just a week and what I can do to prevent this in the future? image.jpg

No help? Is it cause I'm only a DIYer at the moment?? :(

Picking them off would of damaged the nail plate

Try not to expect instant responses.

You're based in the US and many of the Geeks on here are UK based so there's quite a time difference. ;-)

As the other poster said, picking off your enhancements is the quickest way to damaged nail beds.

I agree with the previous posters, popping them off will damage your nails. You can't always trust what you see on Youtube I'm afraid, so it could also be due to the prep you did before application.

So Im waiting to attend beauty school and in the mean time I am a DIY-er, so dont scold me too badly :p I recently did my nails with artificial tips, used a gel-glue to apply, then did a thin acrylic base with gel over top (it was method I saw on YouTube?). I got sick of em after a week so I simply popped them off. They look very very ridgey now and the white of the nail has yellowed a little.

I dont have the best of nails to begin with, they seem pretty brittle, dry, some often split down the middle and many break easily once they grow out a tad (I rarely get or do any nail treatments/extensions).
But I was curious was caused them to look so much worse and so ridgey after just a week and what I can do to prevent this in the future?View attachment 55404

The yellowing at the free edge (tip end of the nail) is likely down to the type of adhesive (glue) that you used. Likely with a DIY kit it would not be professional quality, rather it would be methyl-cyanoacrylate (super glue) rather than ethyl-cyanoacrylate - they can labell it however they want without listing ingredients because its for consumer, not professional...

All nails have a natural formation of ridges, this is related to the way the nails cells grow forward on a rail & groove system in the nail bed. The older you become the more noticeable this becomes. (some people are just unlucky and it's highly visible much earlier.

Likely (as other have already noted) the process of 'popping' the nail enhancement off has torn sections and layers of the nail plate. It may be the force has enhanced the appearance of your natural ridges - this would take up to 3 months for the nail to fully grow out. Nothing you can do about it till then.
Note - any overlay product should be removed correctly (soaking or filing, dpending on manufacturers instruction) No product should ever be forced or broken off.

Lastly, you mention you nails are dry and brittle. This is lucky for you as a hard nail is the easiest to treat. you simply need to introduce a high quality nail conditioner (nail/cuticle oil) such as Solar Oil by CND.
A dose or two daily will soon have your nails more flexible and less prone to breakages.

Try not to expect instant responses.
As the other poster said, picking off your enhancements is the quickest way to damaged nail beds.

to clarify - the nail bed is UNDER the nail plate - if you are damaging the nail bed there is going to be a lot of blood involved...

Hope that helps

There has recently been a new product launched to the market which could help in your situation. It works to strengthen you nails and smooth out any ridges and delamination (peeling). It is strictly a professional use only product and has only just launched but hopefully you can find a local salon that is offering this treatment or convince one to do so!

It's called IBX. This video helps to explain how it works.

The IBX System: What's It All About? - YouTube

I have literally just introduced it and have had some amazing results with my first trial clients.

The yellowing at the free edge (tip end of the nail) is likely down to the type of adhesive (glue) that you used. Likely with a DIY kit it would not be professional quality, rather it would be methyl-cyanoacrylate (super glue) rather than ethyl-cyanoacrylate - they can labell it however they want without listing ingredients because its for consumer, not professional...

All nails have a natural formation of ridges, this is related to the way the nails cells grow forward on a rail & groove system in the nail bed. The older you become the more noticeable this becomes. (some people are just unlucky and it's highly visible much earlier.

Likely (as other have already noted) the process of 'popping' the nail enhancement off has torn sections and layers of the nail plate. It may be the force has enhanced the appearance of your natural ridges - this would take up to 3 months for the nail to fully grow out. Nothing you can do about it till then.
Note - any overlay product should be removed correctly (soaking or filing, dpending on manufacturers instruction) No product should ever be forced or broken off.

Lastly, you mention you nails are dry and brittle. This is lucky for you as a hard nail is the easiest to treat. you simply need to introduce a high quality nail conditioner (nail/cuticle oil) such as Solar Oil by CND.
A dose or two daily will soon have your nails more flexible and less prone to breakages.

to clarify - the nail bed is UNDER the nail plate - if you are damaging the nail bed there is going to be a lot of blood involved...

Hope that helps
Wow, thanks for all the info! :) I will take heed to that advice and try to treat my nails better when changing them up...I just get lazy and my application with tips never stays long so i take the easy way out.

The glue I used was IBD brand which I thought I've seen mentioned on here before. I purchased from a store called Sally's ..not sure if they are the UK or not but it's like limited variety of professional products but open to the public, so I thought it to be somewhat professional ? Maybe it's just old..had it awhile but not used it much.
I've been doing CND cuticle eraser and solar oil maybe 1x a week but I will try to be more frequent about it. Thanks for all the tips!! Planning on beauty school in April so I can finally learn the pro way!! :)
IBD-brush-on-nail-glue.jpg

There has recently been a new product launched to the market which could help in your situation. It works to strengthen you nails and smooth out any ridges and delamination (peeling). It is strictly a professional use only product and has only just launched but hopefully you can find a local salon that is offering this treatment or convince one to do so!

It's called IBX. This video helps to explain how it works.

I have literally just introduced it and have had some amazing results with my first trial clients.

Tantalizing! I will most definitely check into thus, thanks!

Latest posts

Back