working in a gym

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jayt

Reaction score
Hi Geeks,

I rent a room in a gym (ladies only) I pay as I go and share with 3 other people so have to work my schedule around them. this means that I have to pack everything away including posters as one of the therspist does not like them.
I have two problems
1 I am not allowed to advertise outside the gym (but I am allowed to take clients there)
2 I have been there a year and only managed to have 6 gym clients. These clients have only booked when I have had promotions.

Any way my question is do any of you have rooms in a gym and what do you do to get clients. Im going to give it another four months then look somewhere else maybe.

Hiya,

I worked in a gym for 18 months and I must admit I found it a struggle at times:rolleyes: I'm not sure of your setup but I had a room which was literally just off the main gym so it was rather noisy, particularly in the evening and afternoons when the gym was at it's busiest. I think the problem with gyms is that quite often you are stuck in a room somewhere where people can never find you! I was lucky that I was actually employed by the company so had a regular salary, if I had been renting the room then I def would have jumped ship earlier.

In terms of advertising have you had leaflets/pricelists made up? I used to stand at reception and hand them out and also hit all the classes and hand them out to everyone who would take them! Could you maybe set up a table in reception showcasing what you do? When I wasn't busy, I would grab a member of gym staff and do a mani or pedi on them in the reception area which usually led to a few extra bookings.

Try and give it your all for the next 4 months, and then if after thatyou haven't made any progress then maybe you could think of other options like going mobile, renting a room somewhere else etc.
If you want any other ideas feel free to private message me and I'll be glad to give you some info on other things that might work for you :Love:

Kim xx

IWhen I very first started out for myself I rented a room for a while at a leisure centre and it was not a good move at all. In my experience the clientele at these places are generally in such a hurry dashing from work/home to a class or the gym and then dashing on to somewhere else that they rarely had time for much more than a quick leg wax. Maybe a private gym/club would be easier where the ladies have more time and probably more money to frequent the beauty room/salon.

So glad when I left there, would never ever do it again.

Latest posts

Back