working mobile or salon

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deedee84

Reaction score
looking at working for myself, have been looking locally for a place to rent but no luck. just wondererd what people thought of working mobile opposed to working at a base.
What are your thoughts???
Any good or bad experiences ??

I love being mobile, I can work whenever I like
No day is ever the same, I enjoy driving so i guess that helps.
Also I know especially for my area there is a big Market for Mobile Therapists.
The only thing is you have to do alot of advertising, because otherwise no one will know you exist!

there will be pros and cons to both options

e.g. for mobile a pro is you work the hours you want but a con would be you work alone so it can feel a bit isolated

I'm on the "salon" side of the fence on this one, however to be honest I never really gave mobile a fair crack of the whip.
I literally did just a few clients on a mobile basis and really didnt enjoy having to lug all my equipment about, and having to set up and pack up again at the start and end of each client. I have a new salon which is opening in a week or so and I'm looking forward to having my desk set up, and not having to pack it all away again at the end of each client.

Each to their own, why not try mobile, you might prefer it to being salon based.

I'm doing both at the moment i work in a salon freelance 3 days and the other 2 i do mobile and some also come to me. I found it hard to get work mobile and from reading other threads it takes a long time to build a client base. You would need to do a lot of advertising and probably do it for a few months rather than just a one off advert as people will forget you. I'm now giving up mobile as i didn't like all the travelling about and also i usually found i'd forgot something when i got there. i'm loving the salon environment and they do all the advertising for me so i don't have that hassle.

Is there call for mobile therapists? some areas don't have a lot i know where i live there's quite a lot. Like Chelle said each to their own. no harm trying but can be disheartening when you don't get calls so just keep trying and don't give up if that's what you want to do.

Good luck

Hello, I also love being mobile as it gives me flexibility and I dont have to worry about keeping my house tidy or finding premises at the mo. It seems to be really popular as many people cant get to salons when they are open during the daytime.
Its hard work but good fun and highly reccomended.
Good Luck

Latest posts

Back