Anatomy and physiology

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Emmajane74

Reaction score
Im setting a distance learning a&p course. Just got the workbook. Any tips on getting through this, I've not studied for over 15yrs. It's all a bit daunting!

I drew the bones, muscles ect and put it up in my kitchen, dont label them, then with small sticky notes with all the names on them keep sticking them on the appropriate bones/muscles, when you have mastered this bit, use a pencil to write the names in, then rub out and repeat until you know them all. If you really want to do your head in do the above with the positions and actions!!! I also got my kids to test me at every opportunity...I probably have the only 5 yearold who knows where the sternocleidomastoid is and what it does!
Good luck tinaxx

take one system at a time when you know it well move onto the next one. i would start with the skeletal system which i think was the easiest and leave the neurological system to last. brains !! if only i had one . lol

I drew the bones, muscles ect and put it up in my kitchen, dont label them, then with small sticky notes with all the names on them keep sticking them on the appropriate bones/muscles, when you have mastered this bit, use a pencil to write the names in, then rub out and repeat until you know them all. If you really want to do your head in do the above with the positions and actions!!! I also got my kids to test me at every opportunity...I probably have the only 5 yearold who knows where the sternocleidomastoid is and what it does!
Good luck tinaxx

Ooooo Ooooo I knew this one before I started my A&P lol Brennan in Bones mentions it in one of the episodes :D (I know I know... but I pick all kind of weird stuff up like that :D)

Good luck!

I am so bad at studying, I just read things over and over and over. I remember studying for the exams like the bones and muscles of the body and I had a labelled up diagram that I just studied over and over. Then I had blank ones that I filled in until I memorised it.

I even tried putting the first letter of each in order starting from the top and working round clockwise and trying to assign a word to each to help me remember. (Probably swear words knowing me! :D )

I think I was the only one in my class that passed the bones exam first time - still don't know how I managed that one!

Go back to child hood get plastercine/play doh to make little models, if you have a willing victim when learning muscles have some fun with body paint (paint the muscle on the body and get them to perform the movement it creates. Use acronyms to help you remember functions of the various systems. If you can recognise how you learn/remember things, you can normally find a way of adapting the info into a way thats easier to digest. hth x

Everyone learns in different ways and it's important to know which way suits you. When I did my level 3 I had 3 kids at school plus I was already working in a salon so I had to really set 'me time' aside so as not to be disturbed.
Not revising for too long at once is very important as the brain gets overloaded and doesn't retain the information the same. Do your revision in 15 or 30 minute blocks. Drinking plenty of water and finding what time of the day suits you to revise is also important. Some are more morning people others anytime or some evening?
Plenty of practice on your subjects/ models is also important.Keep going over your routine,if in doubt ask,better to practice rightly than practice and be doing it incorrectly.
I found understanding what you're revising fully,inside out, helps. Having a large poster,using 3d computer programs,post it's and learning things one step at a time helped me.
I would go over the same subject over and over again until I actually understood it rather than just memorising it so that when I had an exam I wasn't thrown by wording of the question.
As I said find a way that suits you. What suits one doesn't necessarily suit another.
Get lots of good books,with good diagrams and well thought out examples.
Good luck

Go back to child hood get plastercine/play doh to make little models, if you have a willing victim when learning muscles have some fun with body paint (paint the muscle on the body and get them to perform the movement it creates. Use acronyms to help you remember functions of the various systems. If you can recognise how you learn/remember things, you can normally find a way of adapting the info into a way thats easier to digest. hth x

Love the body paint idea! Why not get the hubby/fiance/boyfriend to be your victim?

Thanks everyone for your helpful tips. I'm really quite looking forward to getting stuck in. The rewards will be worth it!

Latest posts

Back