Don't know what to do anymore?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

celebalook

Reaction score
Hi Geeks
I am feeling very low at the minute so have turned to you all for advice.
I am qualified beauty level 2 and level 3, spray tanning, Kim Lawless trained, Hollywood lashes, Minx, Shellac etc
I set up mobile back in Nov/Dec last year and have done leaflet drops, put posters around village notice boards, done a facebook page etc i have only had a few clients which i wouldn't class as regulars more a treatment they have if going out etc. I have spent thousands on training, products and printing and even lowered my prices but just no one is ringing me. I am now getting worried that if anyone rings i will have forgotton how to do my treatments etc although i still do some on my hubby and dughter such as tanning and waxing to a degree. I have even thoguh about selling everything and just getting a job doing anything i can as i am so fedup at home and loosing all my confidence now quickly.
Can any suggest anything?
please check out my website www.beauty2cherish.com or facebook page beauty2 cherish
please leave me any feedback psoitive or negative taken on board for any improvements needed.
I have worked so hard for this job to work as i am passionate about it but just don't understand what i am doing wrong?
thanks Debbie:sad:

Hi just read ur thread I found it very hard going at the start and it's been a really quiet few months but I used quids in which is like ur group on thing it kept me busy and my hand in when quiet also I have had a lot of repeat business from this ;) chin up smile snd all the best to u x x

I know how you feel. I'm exactly in the same position. I have done everything that you mentioned but still business is really slow. I get the odd client but your right, you start to doubt yourself and like everything, practice makes perfect. I have found that giving people freebies helps sometimes as they tell their friends and that starts a small ripple of activity for a few days.

I know its disheartening but if you can afford it, give yourself some time. Also target mums after school. Most of my clients are ladies who's kids go to the same school as my mum. They often grab me in the morning a jump into the car with me for a free lift!!!

Good luck.

Would you consider looking for a part-time salon job? Doing that alongside your mobile work would help boost your income and regain some confidence in doing treatments.

Thanks everyone
i will keep trying for a couple more months.
Yes Rhona i would be happy to work part-time in a salon if anyone would employ me whilst still doing my mobile work.
for yu geeks out there
if you haven't done a treatment for sevral weeks or months and then a client books for it do you doubt yourself?
anymore tips or advice appreciated, i will check out that groupon thing too.

Mobile Martine
Just had a look at that quids in thing
did you just put one special deal on for example
FULL BODY MASSAGE £10 normally £25 etc for month of April only?
how much do quids in take from you do you know?
thanks Debbie

Its normal for a business to start slowly. Although it sounds as if your main issue is losing confidence in your abilities. The best way to avoid this is just to make sure you keep practicing!

Why not have a Facebook competition where you give your 50th "liker" a free tan for her and a friend. Opportunity for two new clients! You could become involved in fundraising where you donate a service in return for some form of recognition. Perhaps there is a worthy group you could provide a pamper evening for and have it covered by the local paper.

There are plenty of ways to give away "freebies" that double as advertising. Two birds one stone

Thanks Staceymackey
another few fantastic ideas their that i wouldn't of thought of x

Do referral bonuses :) If a customer refers say 5 friends who all have a treatment, they get a free leg wax, or spray tan (to be take within a month etc) - or you could even say if you refer a friend and they have a treatment over £15 then your next treatment up to £x is half price.
I only started recently and I'm mainly hitting the FB sales pages where I live as my flyers only just arrived today lol :)
But I'm picking up quite a few customers and all bar 1 have booked again already - (did think the 1 wouldn't as she wasn't paying any attention to my aftercare instructions for her spray tan! sorry to say I think it probably looked horrid next day as she put tight clothes on straight after and walked several miles in hot weather and was planning to go back and clean her house... sweat, tight clothes and chemicals... ARGH!) so worth putting some offers on FB pages :)
I'm also looking at how to increase my customer base and a lot of it is about putting your name out there! :) Never be shy about handing someone your card if you overhear them talking about something you do :) Ask friends and family to hand your card out too - offer them something in return ;)

Quids in is in guernsey that massage isn't me lol I don't do massage ;( they take a percentage but I offer half price treatments on there I normally sell between 20 - 70 each deal so I look At it as in advertising ;) gets them in the door si to speak x

Hiya

I started doing my business from home 2 yrs ago and did loads of advertising for about 18m - and i found it USELESS!

What i felt was my biggest pulling power was, my website!! So have you made sure you work on your SEO and key words etc etc

I had a look at your site and am amazed and the HUGE range of treatments you do and am simply astonished your struggling for business.

Do you have a lot of competition in the area?

I also feel your treatments are very very cheap! Not sure what the going rate it where you live, being in Kent, I charge more for e.g. on tints etc.

I found that if you're too cheap, you attract the wrong type of clients!

Have you thought of adding testimonials from existing clients to your site? Asking for referrals

Hope this helps, not at all intended to offend you in any way, just giving you some feedback.

Don't lose heart, give off a good vibe and they will come pouring in!!!

Hi Browbeautiful
Thanks for the feedback appreciated, i have just dropped my prices to them below salons within the area, i know they look cheap but that's the price comparison where i live to yourself and yet i still caqnnot attract customers (oh dear). OP i will look at my SEO as you stated i have just gone onto google in the past 2 weeks so need to mae sure that this is spot on.
all your support and knowing the fact it is not just me that is not attracting customers is a little reassuring to know also, hopefully the good weather will want people to have there fingers and toes shellaced or minxed soon.

hi instead of just mobile why dont you look for rooms to rent in hairdressers or a unit to rent for yourself as self employed still? i started from stratch and bought everything then found a small unit to rent and have a small beauty salon :) still do mobile also and please my self, but with having a building ,this way you can get passing trade and clients popping in .

Wow! As Brow Beautiful said, I am taken aback at how many services you provide! And using all the best brands as your great intro states! I am personally extremely fussy when it comes to choosing therapists, especially mobile as I can't pop in and quickly assess the standard on the face of it like I can in a salon, but after reading your intro and having a mooch rounnd the services you offer on your website, if I were in your area you would have sold it to me! I'd definitely be booking you up!! It all sounds fantastic!

Your prices do seem very cheap, I don't think I have seen prices this cheap before in other London or Greater Manchester. I can't think it can be anything other than maybe missing your target market with your advertising? As someone above mentioned, try getting the school Mums!

I'm so sorry you are finding it a struggle to get going. As someone also in the early stages of starting up a business after spending thousands on training my heart totally goes out to you, but please don't give up on your dream as it would be a huge shame after all the harf work you have put in. I am sure it will kick start soon, just persevere until you get the break. *hug*

Hey your not too far from me, im in mansfield only about 45 mins away. The amount of treatments you offer is brilliant and if you were closer i would book in. Keep your chin up x

Your website is lovely. I can't see anything wrong with it at all. I would want to book one of you parties for my daughter if you was local. They look fab. Them cookies and cakes look delish too. Yum. Good luck x

Lavender lovely
Thanks for your comment i really needed a positive one like that it has just gave me the pick up i need, i was goingt o lower my pricers as i have just found my competitor in the area who is home salon/mobile based and it seems to coincidental that she has the same promotion offers as me? and also undercut me, she has also just trained with Kim Lawless, does Shellac and Minx which were not on her website last year when i trained.
but i appreciate evryones commnets and i am putting everything mentioned into practice so fingers crossed.:Grope:

Hi,
I totally sympathise too and was in a similar position last year.
I had to return to full time work as my part time job was temp and I couldn't just leave.
I decided to focus on 1 area- make -up which was my starting point and only really promote this.
I still do waxing, spray tan, Shellac, Minx and man & ped, massage and facials, but only by recommendations or regulars who've stuck with me!
I feel really confident with my treatments even though I'm not constantly working and stopped L&p because my timings were getting longer and that was causing me to worry when I got a booking x
Maybe if you start by focusing on seasonal treatments that you are still confident with and promote those- the rest will follow and you'll get your Mojo back too ! X

Hiya,

I really feel for you and I think you've had some great advice already. I did want to mention a few things as (constructive) criticism :)

You website is pretty but the intro thing with the music is HORRID. Please please please get rid of the awful music :D It is in no way relaxing and can you imagine if somebody is looking for a therapist at work and that pops out the speakers? If you weren't a geek I wouldn't even have got to your informative website, it would already be closed. You could maybe change the music to something else and keep the intro?

Also, I find your prices too cheap. You are mobile and that is really a premium service, your clients are saving money by not driving, parking etc (which you rightly point out on your site). I am mobile and charge MORE than all the local salons. If you're charging cheap you will get cheap clients who will complain whenever they can and go elsewhere if they find cheaper!

This is a little pet peeve of mine but I would not class Kaeso as "high end quality products". Sorry hun :hug: Obviously its difficult to invest in everything as you've already taken on shellac, minx, kim lawless training etc. I would put those treatments forward as 'treatment of the month' or essential summer prep and concentrate on them. Then when you've made some money back you could look into investing in a great skincare range. I can highly recommend Eve Taylor, it is very reasonable and high quality.

I find your front page a bit wordy. I'm a bit lazy so just skimmed through the first time. It would be a shame for somebody to miss out on your information. I would be tempted to put your mission statement on this page and info about working hours/area. Then to have an 'about me' page with your back story. I believe the client is more interested in finding out WHERE and WHEN you work first, rather than what you've done in the past. It's important too! But you have so little time to capture someone's attention on a website. I think this part would work well at the beginning

"LET ME COME TO YOUMy aim is to relax and pamper my clients in the comfort of there own surroundings. I can however function also from my own home should this be required"

Final point, I wouldn't say 'I'm insured with Babtec'. I know that my insurer states NEVER to mention to a complaining client that I'm insured. It could compromise a claim. You could mention that you 'Are a full member of Babtec' and maybe get their logo on there too :)

I'm soo sorry for the essay, I hope you don't take these point badly. I just think that a couple of tweaks could really make your website more efficient. I really hope things pick up for you, keep your chin up and you'll make it :lol:

Sending you lots of hugs, Air x

Latest posts

Back