NVQ2 Beauty - Next Step/options

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newatnails

Reaction score
Hi guys.,
As always when not sure of where to go from here, I come to the experts :)
In June this year I will complete my NVQ2 beauty course., and I am abit unsure of wether to go onto the NVQ3 beauty/spa mainly because of my current part time job, it may not tie in with the days of the week that I don't work at the moment (which are Monday/Tuesday's). Also., even though I do enjoy doing the beauty side of things., I am very interested in holistic therapies eg: reiki, indian head massage, crystal therapies., aromatherapy and many more...., but the college I go to doesn't do a holistic/complementary therapy course (well they didn't this year due to funding so is very unlikely for next year).
I just seem to be at a crossroads., I am a single parent, with a 9 year old boy., and don't have a lot of back up around me for doing mobile in the evenings/weekends, and work wed,thurs,fri already in a completely different job, so I don't feel ready to give that job up yet, as I feel I need it for security in my present situation, therefore feel the need to put off going mobile if I do infact do that anyway in the end. So may continue training if possible in beauty or go onto holistic therapies as and when I have the funds.

So I feel my options are to either maybe get a job in a salon to gain more confidence/experience for a couple of years, but I will only have Monday/Tuesdays after my course that I can work in a salon (which I know are probably not the best days of the week).
Plus would like to delve into the holistic side of things.

Give up my part time job (only if a full time opportunity in a salon came along) to work in a salon full time (not sure where i'd get the time to do some training in holistic therapies then)

My long term goal., is to have my own home salon probably offering some beauty treatments alongside some holistic therapies., but that could be 5-10 years away.

So my question is., in my situation., what do you think is the best option to look at next., I know I ultimately have to make this decision on my own., but all advice is welcome (maybe I have answered my own question already, looking at what i've wrote):|

Thankyou so much in advance for any advice given, it will be greatly received x

The good news is that there are a lot of options.

I would definately recommend looking around for a course that covers what you want it to (that is to say that you don't have to do the general level 3 beauty type route just because that's what your local college offers).

The good thing about a lot of holistic treatments is that you can do the courses separately as evening courses....treatments that can be learnt this way include massage, indian head, hot stones, aromatherapy, reflexology etc. Therefore there's nothing to stop you staying in your current job whilst learning this things as separate courses at your own pace.

Other options could include looking to see what other colleges in your area offer (private ones can be more flexible regarding the days you do but i wouldn't recommend a one day course to be honest). Another option could be to do an apprentiship but I'm not sure if this is the best option as there can be a lot of red tape regarding getting a place/funding.

Hope this helps :)

Fantastic!

Just realised that you're in Manchester...I strongly recommend that you check out White Rose College (aka Central Manchester College of Health and Beauty)....google them! :)

I did all of my holistic qualifications there and they are amazing in terms of getting you trained in great detail in a time scale that will meet your needs. Another great thing about them is that they are really into the whole holistic thing. Can't recommend them enough :)

Ooh, also.....although I most recommend Central Manchester College, even though it's a bit of a journey perhaps, I believe that Mid Cheshire college are running a Beauty Therapy Level 3 Course (Massage route) as a fast track, one day per week course on Wednesday starting in September.

Loads of options out there for you :)

Thankyou ever so much for your replies Laurakate., i'll start googling those colleges and see what I can find. My problem with evening classes at the moment though is I haven't got anyone to have my son in an evening so I can go to college., that's why my current 1day fast track course is great, because it's on a Tuesday, one of the days I don't work! :)

Latest posts

Back