Do clients just want a spray tan or a well known brand of spray tan?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hellielou

Reaction score
I'm looking to expand into the spray tan market in my salon & have been reading the various posts on here with interest.

Do clients just want any spray tan & don't care what brand so long as they look browner or do you find they're after a certain brand? The reason I ask this is because prior to opening my salon, I would go to a local salon because they use Fake Bake as this was one that I'd heard of & thought the other salons were using "inferior" products.

There are 2 other salons in close proximity to me offering spray tans - one uses Natura & the other doesn't state which she uses in her price list. I'm not one for reading magazines so I don't know which people will be familiar with as a brand.

Obviously to compete with the other salons I need to do a good job at a competitve price but I think I also need to get the branding right to steer those clients in my direction.

Your thoughts are very much appreciated.

when clients ask what tan i use they say they didn't like a certain brand maybe they got a bad one with another therapist, i use brown bitz which isn't known all that well (but should be) but i reassure them that it is a gorgeous colour with absolutely no orange tones in sight lol

bottom line is if its a good tan there not going to more if its well known or not xxx

I use fresh indulgence and people ask what I use I tell them and I explain why I use it. I've never had anyone complain or dislike the colour and it's not well known. Xxx

I have to say no one has ever asked what brand I use. I tell them I use sienna and that I love it and why I love it. Xx

Clients fall into 2 catagories..... those that know and those that don't! The ones that know what they want will ask you and the ones that don't know anything about tanning just want a good tan and worry about being 'orange, streaky, patchy,' etc and they will rely on your expertise... So if you tell them you have what you consider the best solution available, they'll believe you. After all, your the expert in your field....... xx

I'm looking to expand into the spray tan market in my salon & have been reading the various posts on here with interest.

Do clients just want any spray tan & don't care what brand so long as they look browner or do you find they're after a certain brand? The reason I ask this is because prior to opening my salon, I would go to a local salon because they use Fake Bake as this was one that I'd heard of & thought the other salons were using "inferior" products.

There are 2 other salons in close proximity to me offering spray tans - one uses Natura & the other doesn't state which she uses in her price list. I'm not one for reading magazines so I don't know which people will be familiar with as a brand.

Obviously to compete with the other salons I need to do a good job at a competitve price but I think I also need to get the branding right to steer those clients in my direction.

Your thoughts are very much appreciated.

My clients want a good quality,Orange free tan the reason we love Nouvatan :D x

Some do, some dont. I think the people who ask are the ones that have had bad tans in the past.
Ive found ive had to get in a unbranded tan to offer at a cheaper price, because some of my clients only want a dark tan for one night only. They dont care how long it lasts or how it wears off. My other clients however want s good quality tan that will last longer and wears off evenly and are willing to pay more to achieve this.
So my advive would be to maybe get two types in.
I love Sienna x for my better quality tan. And tan truth for my cheaper tan.
Hope that helps :)

Sent from my GT-N7000 using SalonGeek

Thank you so much for your responses. Definitely given me something to think about.

I have personally found (since starting up again) that people may ask, however, I you believe and have confidence in your product (as I do with Nouvatan) you can sell it! They put their trust in you, as the professional! Don't just tell them the name of the brand you are using, tell them a bit about it.. :) hth xxx

glotanz is great. very good training and support.
As for clients asking, they dont tend to care if ive got an offer on and they are cheaper but if they are paying full price then they usually ask.
So i find they dont care whats used as long as its cheap but if its a bit pricier ( and so it should be to cover your costs!) then they want to know. Thats what ive found! hth

I often wonder this myself... I advertise the fact I use Sienna X on my website as lots of celebs use it now and it's good endorsement. But before I started doing it myself, I never thought to ask which solution ppl used.

I don't think I'd ever get an un branded cheaper tan with an orange tinge or terrible fade off even if I had certain clients who wanted it as id heve to put my name to this tan - not good!! :D

There are two schools of thought on this issue
Some salons will go for better known brands and of course there are some salons that due to there location or business strategy that turn out low cost service to there clients so therefore are more likely to use a lesser known cheaper brand
It all very much depends on your business strategy
HTH :Kissing:

I don't think I'd ever get an un branded cheaper tan with an orange tinge or terrible fade off even if I had certain clients who wanted it as id heve to put my name to this tan - not good!! :D

agreed!

I'm in the midst of deciding what solution to use for my new business. Hardly no one on here mentions St Tropez or FakeBake is there a reason why...I do think a good brand is a good starting point.

I'm in the midst of deciding what solution to use for my new business. Hardly no one on here mentions St Tropez or FakeBake is there a reason why...I do think a good brand is a good starting point.
Helen most of us want to use professional only brands, that the client can't go down to boots and buy themselves eg. St Tropez and Fakebake, that and as I mentioned on another thread yours Fakebake has a bit of a mixed review regarding customer service xx

Great thread. I am being let down by my company at the moment(organics) so looking for a new tan. So any help with choosing a new company greatfully recieved.

I am just starting out in Spray tanning and after a lot of research found Nouvatan, I love the product, promotional material and most of all their attention to detail and their customer service is second to non.

And it is not available on the high street so a win, win.

I have used Tantrick and Solaris.
Both are a good colour and do not go orangey or streaky.
My advice would be to get a few samples and try it out first on yourself or a friend/your mum, then go with what you are pleased with. If you have confidence in your product it'll come across when you speak to clients whatever make you decide to use.

When i started out i tried lots of brands until I found ones that I
a) I could wear myself and liked
b) No one else in my area was offering
The brand I chose 3 years ago was Xen Tan.

18 months on I decided that I also needed an alternative and after attending the Beauty Show was hooked on Urban Tan - 4 shades, 6 aromas allows you to customise it to suit your client. Great for contouring and definition too.
My regulars love both, I have a loyal base of customers for both brands.
Although I seem to get a mixed bunch in here that do not always now what they have had before! After being educated (so to speak) they speak highly of both! which is great for customer loyalty...

I love both and alternate between the :) Xen Tan can last well for 10 days, I have ladies that come in 2 weekly.

Urban Tan lasts a week on most, although the darkest shade Sunset I can keep for 8-9 days. urban Tan is a bit more reasonable cost wise too, which is a bonus.

:)

Latest posts

Back