Help please! Spray tanning

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xxkazxx

Reaction score
Hi Girls,

I have just had my spray tanning training on sat and I thought everything went well! I've done 3 tans since and every time I'm spraying the chest,stomach and back there's loads of splashes being left all over and running down the body . It has really knocked my confidence :( When I was training this didn't happen at all but it was a totally different machine to the one I got which is the ts50. I have the settings on 3 and even if I lower it down this is still happening! I have my first paying customer tomorrow and even though she is a friend I'm still considering cancelling incase it doesn't turn out right-she has a festival to go to on sat! I've cleaned out the gun and it made no difference. Does anyone have any other advice please?

Thanks,
xxkazxx

Hi are u standing to close to the person? I stand about 6 to 8 inches away & spray side to side? It sounds like your gun is over spraying tho?

Hi, sorry to hear you are having trouble, I don't use the TS so cant advise you on the settings but I was wondering how close you have the nozzle to your client when spraying, you don't need to be too close at all.Also which solution do you use as some are more prone to spattering than others but it sounds as if you are spraying too heavily if it is running down the clients body. When you are concentrating and trying to see what you are doing it is easy to get too close.I hope Baggybear will come on soon as she knows most of the machines. I would think that it is not the machine but your application, sorry. Chin up though,it takes time to perfect. In the meantime why don't you do a search on here for TS 50 machines and you might find the answer. Sorry I cant be of any more help, The only other suggestion I can make is to practice tonight using couch roll.Attach a section to the back of a chair or hang it over a towel rail then Spray with water or solution( I used to use water so as to not waste solution) That way you can try out the different settings, practice how far to keep the gun from the surface you are spraying etc.The heavier the spray the wetter the couch roll, If you don't have any some Kitchen towel will do the same job, or even a towel but use water preferably or you might ruin a good towel. It really helped me a lot to do this when I first started. This way there is no pressure, no wasted product and you get used to your equipment much quicker than relying on clients who might knock your confidence some more.. Don't panic

Hi are u standing to close to the person? I stand about 6 to 8 inches away & spray side to side? It sounds like your gun is over spraying tho?

Thanks for the fast reply! I've tried standing close and far away and its still the same everytime! I'm going through about 120mls of tan also which is way to much! I was taught to spray in circles which worked fine on the day but I read on here that u use alot of tan that way so I switched to doing it vertically but the end result is always the same and still using the same amount of tan either way!Do you just spray the front and back side to side or do you do that over the whole body?

Thanks,
xxkazxx

Some spray side to side, some up and down and some do circles. I used to do circles when I used my airbrush system and it did use a lot more solution. I tend to spray up and down but also side to side, once you have experience you will find which suits you best and changing techniques during an application will happen at times depending on a variety of things. I think you have to practice some more, attach a ruler to your gun and leave 8 inches haning out the front. Then while you are practising I bet you will find you are way too close, Remove the ruler before tanning humans though. LOL

Hi, sorry to hear you are having trouble, I don't use the TS so cant advise you on the settings but I was wondering how close you have the nozzle to your client when spraying, you don't need to be too close at all.Also which solution do you use as some are more prone to spattering than others but it sounds as if you are spraying too heavily if it is running down the clients body. When you are concentrating and trying to see what you are doing it is easy to get too close.I hope Baggybear will come on soon as she knows most of the machines. I would think that it is not the machine but your application, sorry. Chin up though,it takes time to perfect. In the meantime why don't you do a search on here for TS 50 machines and you might find the answer. Sorry I cant be of any more help, The only other suggestion I can make is to practice tonight using couch roll.Attach a section to the back of a chair or hang it over a towel rail then Spray with water or solution( I used to use water so as to not waste solution) That way you can try out the different settings, practice how far to keep the gun from the surface you are spraying etc.The heavier the spray the wetter the couch roll, If you don't have any some Kitchen towel will do the same job, or eve a towel but use water preferably or you might ruin a good towel. It really helped me a lot to do this when I first started. This way there is no pressure, no wasted product and you get used to your equipment much quicker than relying on clients who might knock your confidence some more.. Don't panic

Thanks so much for your reply. Its so hard not to panic! I'm using la tan and honestly no matter how close or how far I stand from the person it happens but it never happens on the arms or legs.I'm gonna try the machine with some kitchen roll later hopefully that helps. The tans are still turning out good when the guide is washed off but it just doesn't look professional at all when the clients have tan rolling down there skin!
Thanks for the advice :)

Some spray side to side, some up and down and some do circles. I used to do circles when I used my airbrush system and it did use a lot more solution. I tend to spray up and down but also side to side, once you have experience you will find which suits you best and changing techniques during an application will happen at times depending on a variety of things. I think you have to practice some more, attach a ruler to your gun and leave 8 inches haning out the front. Then while you are practising I bet you will find you are way too close, Remove the ruler before tanning humans though. LOL

Yea I just don't think I got the best training to be honest she told us to never spray up or down or sideways.The ruler thing is a great idea I'm going to try that tonight!Hopefully it helps. I just don't understand how at my training I did really good and came out so confident and now I feel like crap doing it! :(
Thank u x

Yes love, you shouldn't have it that wet, LA Tan really doesn't need to go on that thick at all, almost a light misting is what is required if you know what I mean. I use LA Tan and my clients are usually dry enough by the time I have finished spraying them. A couple of minutes dried off with the blower and they are ready to step out of the tent.Putting too much on the client is really just wasting solution,time and money.
If you cant get on with your pracrice run tonight you might want to have a chat with your trainer again. Unfortunately that is a prblem when training with one system and purchasing a different one to which you were trained in when first starting up. They are all slightly different and take time to get used to so you've had a double whammy.

Thanks for the fast reply! I've tried standing close and far away and its still the same everytime! I'm going through about 120mls of tan also which is way to much! I was taught to spray in circles which worked fine on the day but I read on here that u use alot of tan that way so I switched to doing it vertically but the end result is always the same and still using the same amount of tan either way!Do you just spray the front and back side to side or do you do that over the whole body?

Thanks,
xxkazxx

Hi, I have the Ts50 and was having problems with overspray in the beginning but now it's fine. If you check the ring (the black round part) this is the first thing you take off when cleaning your gun. Check to see if this is tight or loose. I have mine tight, not too tight and have it set on 2.5 - 2.75 and works a treat. If you have it loose then you will need to turn it down. Also it depends on what solution you use. Try it and see and test it on some couch roll or kitchen roll. Do not cancel your next client as its practice for you and start on her back spraying up and down. Do the whole body this way and see. If too much is coming out then adjust the gun. I hope this makes sense and I really hope it helps. Let us know how you get on. xx

Yea I just don't think I got the best training to be honest she told us to never spray up or down or sideways.The ruler thing is a great idea I'm going to try that tonight!Hopefully it helps. I just don't understand how at my training I did really good and came out so confident and now I feel like crap doing it! :(
Thank u x

It's a shame you were not happy with your training, there are so many out there teaching but all do it differently which is very confusing and not good for the industry as we dont have everyone trained to the same standard. WHen in training you had someone there with you and everything was still fresh in your mind so of course it went really well, but now you are on your own doubts creep in, little things get forgotten or overlooked etc etc. It's only natural but that is why practicing is so important.

Just a quick thought, I know LA Tan do an online course so they must have vidoes showing the spray techniques. Have a little search on you tube, I have come across many videos before showing the techniques. Search Spray Tan Tutorial and you should get some to refresh your memory

My only guess like the other posters said is you might be over spraying. I found that when i first start spraying that i was trying to concentrate so hard that i was spraying too slow. Spraying too slow would have the same effect as spraying too close. Maybe just move your gun along the body a bit faster and if you need to go over an area do that. It takes some time but i am positive you will get there :) Also 120ml is waay too much so it is a definite indicator you are over spraying. I woud be aiming for 50 ml at the most for a full body.
Best of luck tomorrow.:D

Hi, I have the Ts50 and was having problems with overspray in the beginning but now it's fine. If you check the ring (the black round part) this is the first thing you take off when cleaning your gun. Check to see if this is tight or loose. I have mine tight, not too tight and have it set on 2.5 - 2.75 and works a treat. If you have it loose then you will need to turn it down. Also it depends on what solution you use. Try it and see and test it on some couch roll or kitchen roll. Do not cancel your next client as its practice for you and start on her back spraying up and down. Do the whole body this way and see. If too much is coming out then adjust the gun. I hope this makes sense and I really hope it helps. Let us know how you get on. xx

Thanks so much for your reply I have just checked my gun and its very tight so will lower it down more. Also think I had the grey thing on the narrow pattern which I think has made me spray more and maybe thats why I'm getting so much solution on the skin? I'm feeling a little better now thanks to everyones advice! Think I'm going to go ahead with the client tomorrow and hopefully all goes well!

It's a shame you were not happy with your training, there are so many out there teaching but all do it differently which is very confusing and not good for the industry as we dont have everyone trained to the same standard. WHen in training you had someone there with you and everything was still fresh in your mind so of course it went really well, but now you are on your own doubts creep in, little things get forgotten or overlooked etc etc. It's only natural but that is why practicing is so important.

Just a quick thought, I know LA Tan do an online course so they must have vidoes showing the spray techniques. Have a little search on you tube, I have come across many videos before showing the techniques. Search Spray Tan Tutorial and you should get some to refresh your memory

I can't find any La tan tutorials but theres others there so I'll have a look at them. If all else fails I think I'll do the la tan online course just to refresh. Thanks so much for your advice! x

My only guess like the other posters said is you might be over spraying. I found that when i first start spraying that i was trying to concentrate so hard that i was spraying too slow. Spraying too slow would have the same effect as spraying too close. Maybe just move your gun along the body a bit faster and if you need to go over an area do that. It takes some time but i am positive you will get there :) Also 120ml is waay too much so it is a definite indicator you are over spraying. I woud be aiming for 50 ml at the most for a full body.
Best of luck tomorrow.:D

Thanks so much maybe I am over thinking too much. I'm gonna go faster tommorrow and go over places like u said hopefully it works out!
Thanks for the advice x

Hi Everyone,

First of all I wanna thank everyone who replied and gave me such good advice!
I'm just finished doing my client now and it turned out perfect!No overspray at all and only used 50mls of solution :) Lowered down my gun and changed the spray pattern and it seemed to do the trick! Thanks again everyone feel so much better now :)

xxkazxx

Latest posts

Back