Drunk client!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tina67

Reaction score
I did a spray tan for a client that I have seen on two previous occasions, she was either drunk or on some seriously strong mediacation as she was falling all over the place and fell out of the tent twice. This is the first time this has happened to me and I really didn't know how to handle it. I didn't want to just blurt out 'are you drunk'? as I didn't want to offend or embarrass her. She fell onto my extractor fan and could have gashed her leg and was holding onto me for dear life. Has anyone come across a similar situation? Should I have refused to tan her and caused offence and lost a potentially good client (she has handed my cards out to her friends)? Help please!!!

did she smell of alcohol? x

Sorry couldnt help butlaugh, lol, i had a similar situation... Some one passed out while doing the spray tan..she said she hadnt eaten tho and it was a very hot day. I have learn from the situation and now make sure the room is wellventalated and to encourage people to eat and drink prior to their spray tan. This situation doesnt sound like ur fault dnt let it worry u :) xx

I did a spray tan for a client that I have seen on two previous occasions, she was either drunk or on some seriously strong mediacation as she was falling all over the place and fell out of the tent twice. This is the first time this has happened to me and I really didn't know how to handle it. I didn't want to just blurt out 'are you drunk'? as I didn't want to offend or embarrass her. She fell onto my extractor fan and could have gashed her leg and was holding onto me for dear life. Has anyone come across a similar situation? Should I have refused to tan her and caused offence and lost a potentially good client (she has handed my cards out to her friends)? Help please!!!

Crikey, was she drunk on the two previous occasions? Are you sure she was drunk, arent there some illnesses that give the impression people are drunk? Some where in the recess of my brain I sure there is eeeeep.

I think its hard to look back on whats happened with the "what ifs" you did what you felt right at the time, in future....... well, thats difficult, personally if she was definately drunk, then no, I wouldnt treat her again, however I would probably broach the subject and let her know I felt awkward and that it wasnt acceptable.

Not sure if that helps at all lol x

In my opinion, if you didn't think it was safe because she could fall on your fan etc you should of took control of the situation.

Maybe say something like 'you don't seem very stable on your feet, and I worried about you falling and hurting yourself. Maybe we should rearrange this appointment.'

I wouldn't mention alcohol in case it's not.

Plus if she was stumbling about, the tan could turn out awful through no fault on your part BUT may reflect badly in you if she tells people you have done it.

Did you not just say: are you ok??

That would have been my first thought and she may have offered up info. If it was medication she'd have put it on her record card, no? x

No she didn't smell of alcohol but she had been spraying air freshner or something similar as the room was really fragranced. I did ask if she was ok and she just smiled and nodded. She was fine on both the previous occasions so I'm guessing it's just a one off and she may have been out for lunch and had a few wines. It didn't help that she was hopping around trying to get the sticky feet off which can be a mean feat even when sober!! Thanks for your advice and I will keep my eye on this one in the future. Just hoping she didn't ruin her tan!!

I used to work in a pub before beauty, and one shift a guy I worked with refused to sever a guy at the bar as he seemed to of had a little to much. Turned out he had a problem and wasn't drunk at all. He was with his dad who was not impressed at all and went mad when he got refused.

Surly you find out any medical conditions ect before the tan? Xxx

Did you not just say: are you ok??

That would have been my first thought and she may have offered up info. If it was medication she'd have put it on her record card, no? x

She filled out a consultation form on my first visit and stated she wasn't on medication, that was about a month ago. Should I be asking clients to fill out a new form on every visit even regulars?

I think I would have declined to tan her. You could have asked her if she was feeling alright and added that you think it better that she rebooks when everything was ok.

On another note, yes, there are many medical circumstances that could lead to these symptoms and if you where to witness them I'm sure you would be calling 999.

She filled out a consultation form on my first visit and stated she wasn't on medication, that was about a month ago. Should I be asking clients to fill out a new form on every visit even regulars?

When someone comes in for a tan, I have there form out ready and just ask if there are any changes. Had a few That have had changes. So yes you should really. X

When someone comes in for a tan, I have there form out ready and just ask if there are any changes. Had a few That have had changes. So yes you should really. X

I definitely will from now on, thanks for your advice. x

I definitely will from now on, thanks for your advice. x

:)

Hope she looks after it lol and the tan still comes out nice x

No she didn't smell of alcohol but she had been spraying air freshner or something similar as the room was really fragranced. I did ask if she was ok and she just smiled and nodded. She was fine on both the previous occasions so I'm guessing it's just a one off and she may have been out for lunch and had a few wines. It didn't help that she was hopping around trying to get the sticky feet off which can be a mean feat even when sober!! Thanks for your advice and I will keep my eye on this one in the future. Just hoping she didn't ruin her tan!!

Maybe she had been smoking something! hence the air freshener, just a thought. X :)

I have had a few drunk people in my tent. Apart from abit of swaying as they stand in the tent...!!!! I find the main problem is that they touch themselves all night and end up with bad orange palms the next day!! I remind them not to touch themselves, but as they are under the influence, it goes in one ear and out the other!!!

Like the others said I'd say "you ok?" but maybe go a little over the top! Like "ohh you ok? I think you should sit down? We best not carry on? Maybe I should call someone for you? Sure she will either confess it's medication or get the hint you will not tan her in that condition x good luck x x

Ive had something like this happen to me.
I spray tan this girl regulary and she asked me to go round and spray tan her mum. I went round there set up and produced my consultation form for her to fill in, she said 'ahhh dont worry about that I wont sue ya' so I asked her the questions, filled it out for her, read the disclaimer to her and then asked her to sign it which she did.
We then got to the spray tan and she was acting very strange. She slurred with her speech and when I asked her to move into different positions she would over exaggerate the position. It did make me feel slightly uncomfortable but I didnt ask her if she was ok. The reason for this is what if she actually had something wrong with her and she felt embarrassed? Sometimes asking someone if they are ok could make them feel embarrassed or slightly judged. I always want my clients to feel comfortable around me. At the end of the day its them standing there naked in front of me.
Anyway I went round and tanned her again and she was fine... Turns out she does like a drink or two on the odd occasion.
If your client has been fine the previous two times she probably had been out before and had a few drinks, and why should she be judged if she has?
Maybe she went out as a last minute thing had a drink and didnt realise how drunk she had got and didnt want to cancel on you last minute?
If she was falling about the place I probably would have asked her if she was still ok for me to do her tan just so she knew the option of cancelling was ok to do x

Latest posts

Back