Spray tan, what's the % all about?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

effie

Reaction score
Im not a tanner myself but had my first tan last night. I've seen on here people talking about 12% etc what is that ?
I only ask as I was expecting to be asked what kind of colour I was looking for and I wasn't. Although the tan is ok its a little darker than I wanted as I'm very pale
So when I got back what should I ask for if wantin to be lighter

Im not a tanner myself but had my first tan last night. I've seen on here people talking about 12% etc what is that ?
I only ask as I was expecting to be asked what kind of colour I was looking for and I wasn't. Although the tan is ok its a little darker than I wanted as I'm very pale
So when I got back what should I ask for if wanting to be lighter

The 12% thing you refer to is the DHA concentrate fo the solution...in other words how strong it is and the DHA % levels are used by the therapist to gage what strength to apply to your skin based on your skin type and what sort of colour outcome you are wanting.

If you are fair skinned then perhaps the 12% was to dark for you.

I would always recommend for first timers that therapists apply a lighter shade initially to allow the customer to get used to the browning effect
For you I would have recommended an 8% to start with if you are fair skinned
HTH

She said its the 9% lightest There is :0/

Is there anyone I can lighten it up ?

She said its the 9% lightest There is :0/

perhaps so with the brand you are using however there are some brands which produce as low as a 5% concentrate and some that formulate solution blends specifically targeted at the fairer skin or freckled skin

...its just a case of shopping around

Is there anyone I can lighten it up ?

Nont really and if you start messing around with the tan to much you run the danger of causing even more problems for your client and consequentially you as a professional.

The best thing would be to leave things as they are and with her next tan go for a lighter concentrate....probably no more than an 8% and see how she feels and looks

In general terms its always advisable to start with a lighter shade and work your way upward
HTH

Sorry any way I meant
Hi Hun, did you mean to ask if there was any way you could lighten your tan as it is at the moment or for future reference ? There are ways of removing a tan or reducing the shade but it's a bit hit and miss. I would suggest if you are a bit too dark then have a nice soak in the bath with some baby oils or bath oil, have a good scrub and see how much lighter you are after. The problem is though that you might remove too much tan.

If you feel a little too orange rather than too tanned, a perfect trick is to use loads of Bronzer, the powder you can get at most chemists and supermarkets that give you that sunkissed glow. It works a treat in hiding the orange overtones.

Collin is correct in saying that you will need to shop around for a spray tan that is lighter than 8 or 9% I think Sunless Solutions do the 9% and if I recall correctly Tantrick do or used to do a 5% or maybe ask your technician to order in some samples of lighter solutions and you can try them out on your next tan.

Let us know how you get on

Nont really and if you start messing around with the tan to much you run the danger of causing even more problems for your client and consequentially you as a professional.

The best thing would be to leave things as they are and with her next tan go for a lighter concentrate....probably no more than an 8% and see how she feels and looks

In general terms its always advisable to start with a lighter shade and work your way upward
HTH

I'm not a spray tanner by trade I do nails I paid for a spray tan on myself last night

Hi Hun, did you mean to ask if there was any way you could lighten your tan as it is at the moment or for future reference ? There are ways of removing a tan or reducing the shade but it's a bit hit and miss. I would suggest if you are a bit too dark then have a nice soak in the bath with some baby oils or bath oil, have a good scrub and see how much lighter you are after. The problem is though that you might remove too much tan.

If you feel a little too orange rather than too tanned, a perfect trick is to use loads of Bronzer, the powder you can get at most chemists and supermarkets that give you that sunkissed glow. It works a treat in hiding the orange overtones.

Collin is correct in saying that you will need to shop around for a spray tan that is lighter than 8 or 9% I think Sunless Solutions do the 9% and if I recall correctly Tantrick do or used to do a 5% or maybe ask your technician to order in some samples of lighter solutions and you can try them out on your next tan.

Let us know how you get on

What's brands do lighter shades for pale people.

What's brands do lighter shades for pale people.

Sorry my text keeps dropping different words in. Dam phone!!

This is my hand next to my sisters who had very similar skin to me

Attachments

• ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1340450751.750213.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1340450751.750213.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 164
hi there, i think that looks really nice its just because you are not use to it. I had 8% on myself I'm red haired and fair and must admit by about day 3 it was just about right if it was a lot lighter then by the time you've had a couple of showers it will seem to have gone x

oh and if you have quite hot baths you will notice quite a bit in the water if you do want some off x

Crazy angel do a 6% tan :)

Latest posts

Back