Massage tips

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lalalinda

Reaction score
Hi Ladys!

Hope we are all well. I have been a qualified therapist for two years now but ive been pulling a blank on my massage lately. it used to be my strongest treatment but now ive found ive just become very poor at it. im very small in size so i find it hard to do deep pressure plus i cant afford to go on a course just yet. does anyone have any movements or tips? also any tips on how to work out knots> i do knuckling and just rub the knot to get it out but its not working? any help would be appreciated because my confidence is really knocked :(

arms and elbows are the best part of my massage, I only tend to use them on the back unless I'm doing a deep tissue massage. I do tell the clients that I use my arms and elbows and I will tell them to take deep breaths when I do my elbow pressures as they forget otherwise!

I just try out new things as and when I get bored and see if they work!

HTH
Leanne
X

thanks leanne!x

Thats ok, also if you work in a spa/salon that has dual rooms, I tend to watch the other therapist and if I like any of their moves I tend to add them into my massage.

Leanne
X

oh right cool! no where i work we just have our own rooms. i actually havent started yet its a new job so i want to impress. its weird i remember in college i was top of the class but now im not so good :(

Do you know any local therapists that you could swap a treatment with? I often book in for massages at different places because you can learn new techniques. It also gives you a chance to see what you don't like so that you do your treatments differently. Good luck.

Redduck, thats a good idea, theres a group on here that does service swaps with people in your area, post on there and see who replies! I think its called Service Swaps.

Leanne
X

thanks so much girlies :) xx

my son has just done sports massage and he did a massage on me....it did the trick but oh at the time!! he did a movement with his thumb and kind of wiggled it hard on the knots hth

oh really? i must try that thanks :) x

Look on eBay .Swedish body massage DVDS new and old for as much as £ 2.80 with free postage.
You will get some ideas from the DVD.
Good Luck.

Forget buying dvds etc., get on You Tube and have a look at the massage videos for inspiration. There are a few "dummies" on there but also good therapists and techniques.

Agreed - I use YouTube to see how other therapists do certain bits, I've picked up a few tips on how to save my wrists when working on knots :)

thanks girls. i did go on it and had a look but i mustve been finding all the eejits on it. any videos youd recommend?x

Swedish Body Massage

Im a massage therapist (thinking of expanding into beauty hence my recent registration here) for knots and trigger points make sure you've warmed the tissues first then use a sustained deep pressure (use both thumbs save those joints) on the point and after approx 7 seconds the pain should ease up, i wont do this if the pain scale (1-10) is above a 3 or a 4 as i was taught. warming up the tissue and pushing into the area (create a pump for o2 to reach the area) will bring the pain down to a bearable level of therapuetic pain. you can also use a rocking movment with the thumb during the sustained pressure as someone described above. works a treat! totally agree using arms and elbows ive incorporated that into my massage and also find the best way to get good client feedback is to be friendly and run over by a couple of mins at the end of the treatment lol

I use lots of petrissage so that the client feels that their back is really being worked on. Same with the legs. Tsubo points are good too. Other than that, arms and elbows and knuckling :)

I know what you mean though, there are times when you can get the massage equivalent of writers block if you don't learn new moves.

after being in the industry for 18 years my poor wrists and thumbs have had enough! I have recently saved up for a hot stone massage course and it's given my massage a new lease of life. I would seriously consider it if you want to save your joints and have a long career in massage xx

ladies you have all been so helpful. thanks so much i really really appreciate it :) xxxxxx

after being in the industry for 18 years my poor wrists and thumbs have had enough! I have recently saved up for a hot stone massage course and it's given my massage a new lease of life. I would seriously consider it if you want to save your joints and have a long career in massage xx

Kerry I am truly amazed to read that you have been in the industry for 18 years and just now doing hot stone. :D

From another angle to the OP, I am not as keen these days, on hot stone/lava shells etc. as I like to pick up the muscles, work them, feel them and you can't do that with a stone.

I did one on Friday, (always tourists) and although I never go through the motions on anything I do, it can feel like that sometimes with stones are you are somewhat limited as to what you can do to them.

I do agree if you are using the stone to go deep instead of thumbs etc. it will be less effort but you don't feel it release if you are working on a particular issue.

As I said just another angle.

Latest posts

Back