Green Nails

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi All

Its me again!!

Right, the other day i did a full set of extensions. It was a new client who bought a client pack (brand new files that I only use on her). I checked her nails beforehand and no signs of any contra indications. I prepped with antibacterial hand gel. The files I used were brand new.

She called me yesterday to say that she had noticed 2 of her nails looked green. i went out today and yes indeed 2 did look green. I removed the extensions and advised her to see her doctor.

Shw admitted to not wearing gloves when her hands where in water (pot washing etc).

Any ideas how this was caused? Everything I used was cleaned and sanitised. Just want to make sure its nothing I've done wrong. i was wondering if she could have got water under the nail that has caused the natural nail to be constantly wet??

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks All
Heather
xx

click on the link for Greenies Heather and all will be explained... it sounds like a bacterial infection!

Could you fill out your profile for us please so we can see how long you've been trained and which systems you use etc, it will help with any further queries you might have... click QuickLinks>>EditProfile.

Hi...We would be better able to help you if we knew what system you were using...were these Gel or L&P enhancements?
What products do you use...
No point in me going through prep with you talking about Scrubfresh with pathogen fighters to prevent bacterial infections..if you don't use Creative products...
If you fill out your profile it would really help us...then we could answer you without having to ask too many questions first...

If you could talk us through your preparation of the natural nail...then maybe we can spot what the problems may be...also have you had a read over this article on bacterial infections.....just click for the link....

Agree with Izzi here, sounds like your prep maybe didn't hit the mark.

Using new abrasives for each client won't necessarily assist against bacterial infections unless you take measures to eliminate as many pathogens (non-friendly bacteria) from the nail plate before your product application.

Hi All

As requested i've filled in my profile.

The client with the green nails actually had fibreglass extensions.

Heres the whole method I went through and go through for all my clients regardless of the type of extension.

1) Checked client for contra indication.
2) Ensured both the client and myself used purcell antibacterial hand gel.
3) Removed any nail enamel she may have on with polish remover.
4) Sized tips up.
5) Using a white sanding block I remove all shine from her nails.
6) File own nails down if needed.
7) Remove dust from nails.
8) Add resin to well in tips and apply to nail.
9) Cut tips down and file to shape.
10) Remove dust.
11) Prep for whichever method is used (bond for gel, primer for L&P, resin for fabric)
12) Apply the product.
13) File to smooth / finish.
14) Remove dust.
15) Apply solar oil.
16) wipe hands with damp cloth to freshen up.
17) Remove oil from nail and paint.
18) Spray files with Marvicide spray
19) Sterilize any metal tools in barbacide liquid.

That is my total methd...hope it helps you in helping me.

Thanks again
Heather
xx

Looks like you didn't remove cuticle ...non living tissue....from the nail plate and also didn't sanitise the nail plate before tip application and after blendin....this will make one hell of a difference to your nails if you do this.

Read here for prep

Have a look at this thread especially the post by NailsinLondon....http://www.salongeek.com/nail-geek/43110-fabric-disaster-why.html#post444475

You don't seem to have removed the non living tissue or dehydrated the nail surface after removing shine...by using your Scrubfresh.....which will help to prevent bacterial infections.
If you are Creative trained so this should really be an automatic part of your prep....HTH

Thanks, i'll start removing cuticles and sanitising more. I was taught in college not to remove cuticles when applying extensions. Thanks for the advice.

Heather
xxx :hug:

I was taught in college not to remove cuticles when applying extensions.
are you confusing cuticles with eponychium? cuticle is what's removed from the nail plate during prep.
hth's

Your prep is the most important thing in your service routine....
It is the base for a trouble free application.
Do this between your step 3 and 4.
Using a cuticle remover helps you to remove any non living tissue. Let it soak in and then gently use a curette or pushy to remove this. Pay special attention to the nail folds, a lot of debris hides there. Rinse the nail, I use a lint free pad soaked in a mix of citrus soak and water for this. Dry the nail then Scrubfresh the nail until it squeaks lol.
Now you are ready to size the tips and proceed......
Bacterial infections happen when the product cannot adhere to the nail plate and forms a little pocket. This is where the bacteria feeds of the oil and contaminants and leaves its mark by staining the nail green. Its the place where it has been and it is slowly moving along to find some more food for its green habit so to speak. Remove the pathogens, don't feed its nasty habit and you will have a fab green free enhancement or natural nail overlay....

You never trim the ephonichium its there to protect the matrix from infection, the cells that are shedded are the stuff you want to remove, this is non living tissue.....

HTH

Latest posts

Back