£85 a day room rental?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bombalurina

Reaction score
Yes, you read that right...£85 a day...Does that seem as expensive to you all as it does to me?!

I went to view a beauty room for rental last night - well, it's not been finished yet, so the building is more like an empty shell at the moment, but it gave me an idea of the set-up planned. The room will be 7ft by 11ft (or thereabouts), and will include soundproofing, a sink, and dimmer switch lighting. I asked about the provision of a couch, trolley, storage etc, and was told that if they couldn't find a therapist who had their own that they were willing to leave there, then the owners would buy them, but neither are beauty therapists.

They are looking to rent out the room as much as possible over 6 days, and have decided on blocks of 10 hours, costing £85 per block, £8.50 an hour. The other facilities in the building will be hairdressing chairs to rent, a personal training studio to rent complete with swiss ball, dumbells, bench etc, and a studio for classes such as yoga etc, max 10 people I would have thought, given the size of it. So there is only 1 beauty room, but the reception desk is not going to be manned...therefore, my plan to just rent the room on a Saturday will not work!! Who will take booking for me during the week?

I just want to get your opinions on this set up, as to me it's not going to work unless they seriously re-think their prices.

How much do you all pay for renting a room, and what do you get for your money?

Thanks Geeks!

You can rent a room on Harley Street for £60/day - completely true! Most practitioners do for training purposes. I would quote that to them.

On that basis - yes that does sound extreme. I guess it totally comes down to location. The other question would be - do you really need gym facilities and all the other extras to run your business? - I would guess not!

Last edited:
You can rent a room on Harley Street for £60/day - completely true! Most practitioners do for training purposes. I would quote that to them.

On that basis - yes that does sound extreme. I guess it totally comes down to location. The other question would be - do you really need gym facilities and all the other extras to run your business? - I would guess not!

Very true.....I've done so and it was at a very prestigious Harley St address too (not round the back street).

Where is this room?

They are either very naive or they are having a laugh! :lol:

It's on the south coast, in a little town called Goring, close to Worthing. It's not in a town centre, it's in a parade of shops that is very busy with traffic passing by, but not necessarily with foot traffic. There are various hairdressers, grocers, a pub, pet food shop etc etc - all the things you'd expect to find in a local shop parade, but no beauty therapists working in hairdressers as far as I can make out, definitely no beauty salon.

I think their argument was that as there are no other therapists in the immediate area, and the surrounding area is quite affluent, their price is justified...

Interesting to read about Harley Streets price though...I think I will go back to them with that.

In my own mind, given that I would be providing all products, equipment etc myself and only paying for the room and rates, I was thinking of something in the region of £25 - £30 a day...not £85!! For £85 I want a gorgeously decorated room, fully electric couch, top of the range wax heater and waxing products, very expensive facial products, not to mention a fully staffed reception, and someone to wipe my brow when it gets hot in the summer!!!!!!!

Thats more than a pay for my room for a whole week!

£85 a day is completely excessive IMHO, particularly if they're asking you to leave your own equipment there. Would they then be offering your equipment to others if you don't rent the room 7 days a week?

That's over £12,000 a year, i just don't think it's feasible.

Rebecca

wow!!! if you were to rent every day that would be about 30k a year. ive seen a whole premise ideal as a salon for 7k a year around here.

but saying that. i rang some one who was advertising a room for rent, and she wanted £7 an hour, and another one wanted £20 for half day.

For £85 I want a gorgeously decorated room, fully electric couch, top of the range wax heater and waxing products, very expensive facial products, not to mention a fully staffed reception, and someone to wipe my brow when it gets hot in the summer!!!!!!!

Too funny, so true!:lol:

Your replies are brilliant guys, thankyou, keep them coming!!!!
I hadn't worked out the maths that far, but £30k is a scary figure!!!! They did say that if you worked more then the price would drop, but i can't imagine it dropping excessively.

If I was to leave all my things there, anything I didn't want used by other therapists could go into a large locker type thing, and be locked away...but what hassle.

Daylight robbery! You can get a whole premises of your own for less than that. If you can afford that kind of outlay then start off on your own get your own place and make your mark! Best Wishes :)

An average hairdressing chair rent in the large towns around us is £45/day. City centres can be easily £50/60/70/day depending on the location/salon style etc. That said the profit in hair is generally higher....

£85 does seem excessive, however if it included everything including heat/light/water/furniture/fixtures/receptionist, well you'd have to weigh that up.

Basically it boils down to how much YOU think you can bring in per day, minus the £80, minus your stock......

Last edited:
hmmmm!
you obviously like the place, but not the price.
Tell them that, say good luck to you getting people in for that price, but when you still haven't found anyone, ring me back and we can discuss a reasonable rent.

Theirs a new place just opened in a village, its taken over a surgery and its quite big. I went their for a treatment on Wednesday and it looks like a surgery, new, clean, stark and business like.

they want £70 a day rent (psml), for that you get the use of the room and receptionist. Apparently if you hire it for more than 2 days your rent drops down to £50 a day.

I would not be able to sleep at night worrying about covering those prices every single week.

Thats AT LEAST 2 treatments to pay for the rent, and then trying to get more in to actually earn anything.

As its new, unestablished, perhaps you could suggest a trial where you pay a % until it takes off.

That is total madness, they are having a laugh with you. I used to rent a room in an established Gym for £100 a week! I now rent in prestigeous offices and pay £350 per month. It is ludicrous, advise is to not go there, I would want to be in the centre of Mayfair on the high street for that, and even then I would have to think long and hard about it!
Hope this helps x

crikey, sounds expensive, as currently renting a room in a hair/beauty salon, and rent only, utilities etc included in rent. I am in West Yorkshire so obviously prices will be different but my rent will go up in September to £115.00 for a week, and only I use it.

crikey, sounds expensive, as currently renting a room in a hair/beauty salon, and rent only, utilities etc included in rent. I am in West Yorkshire so obviously prices will be different but my rent will go up in September to £115.00 for a week, and only I use it.

This thread is 8 years old ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back