1st paying client tomorrow!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thankyou! Yeah, I found finding tips hard, to fit because I had to file down the smile line because her nails were so short! :) Thankyou for commenting! Nothing better than constructive criticism! It's great!!

Thankyou for your comments! They have made me feel a little better! I defiantly need to spend a lot more time practicing!! Does anyone know of a way of using the nail trainer with out having the proper nails?

Yeah, I think I know what happened, for one my house was really warm and the acrylic set before I could move it into position.
They were massive and chunky so took loads of filing, and I was scared to file down at the cuticle because I was petrified of cutting her cuticle.

I also am having serious problems with the cuticle area. Also she was a nail biter so her tips were half way down the nail!

I just wish I had done better really ! :-( i hate to know she is walking away with something that was rubbish!

Surely it's better that u start like this and make sure you don't make these mistakes again rather than ur first set be top class and u think u kno it all and not have to practice or try to better urself ? We've ALL been there!! Xxx

Thankyou! Yeah, I found finding tips hard, to fit because I had to file down the smile line because her nails were so short! :) Thankyou for commenting! Nothing better than constructive criticism! It's great!!

The hardest nails to do are nail biters nails hun. Each set of nails are a learning curve and each set you do you will improve! We all have the same issues and through having such hard nails to do we do get better. If the tips wont fit her nails then file in the sidewall of the tip or do sculpt.

I trained in l&p and I hated it, the smell the actual doing of the nails so I trained in gel instead and I love it!

Also don't get upset, if you dont like doing acrylics, don't do them. Don't pressure your self into it as you will lose all passion for it! X x x

Thanx for your replies! I agree, best to start of being able to see a bad set of nails!!

Yes, she was seriously hard!! I also changed to gels, after struggling with acrylic and went to the local college and didn't get on with gels either!! :-( maybe enhancements aren't for me! But I enjoy them, and there is a lot of call for them in my area! :-( xxx

Can I ask how you all practiced your nails? On a trainer hand? (of so did you buy the proper nails?) or did you just do real clients ? Xx

Can I ask how you all practiced your nails? On a trainer hand? (of so did you buy the proper nails?) or did you just do real clients ? Xx

I had a nail trainer and advertised for models to practice on and they would pay me £10 in product costs etc x the hand is great but it's good to have real nails to practice on also so I had a mix of both x

I had a mixture and still do, I practise on cheap nails I have brought and my sister mum and sister in law.
When I first started I even practised on my fiancée. As long as I took them off straight away he didn't mind.
When I had trained I had written a step by step guide of how to apply etc, he would then have this and watch what I did and tell me if I had missed a step etc. this helped me loads :) xx

Thankyou! Will defiantly be pulling my nail trainer back out!! I just wish those nails weren't so expensive to fit it!! And haha! I shall try my best to rope the family in! :) xxx

If it makes you feel any better I did my first set last night of acrylics and they werent the best.

I applied the white too thick and no amount of buffering could save them!
I also need to work hard on achieving nice smile lines.

Dont be too hard on yourself - I admit, I was slightly deflated afterwards but I kept telling myself its my first full set, it was never going to be anywhere near as good as expected.

Its always good to know where you went wrong, so you dont do it again, I know what my mistakes were!

Chin up, and keep smiling. :)

Thanks hun! It's so hard not to feel frustrated and upset! Well done on your 1st set!!! :) xxxx

Hi hun,

I was in this position the other night as well... I had a client want me fill over her previous acrylics and I agreed because I was starting to feel confident in my application.. (Will post a picture of working on my nail trainer) I was doing so great and then I panicked when I got there... I really need to start working on real hands a lot more so i've decided to pull acrylics off my menu for now and search for models. I couldn't believe how different I felt when it got down to working on a real person. I was really happy with my work on the trainer but I really need to work on real hands so that I get more comfortable. Anyhow. At least you know that we've all been there (and like me--some of us are still there). Another geek commented on my post the other day and said that if it was easy everyone would be nail tech's which is not the case.. We have to work hard and practice lots and eventually it will become second nature. We need to keep up our confidence when we experience a defeating nail service and just remember that we're learning and no one is perfect at the beginning of their careers. It's a total learning curve!

I've posted the photo on my nail trainer (whites are different lengths because the nails are different sizes for training purposes) but it's pretty good, IMO. I wish, though, that I had a picture of the nails I did the other night.. LOL. You wouldn't believe the difference. I lost all confidence and panicked. So while I think that it is great to have the nail trainer (I love it) I think it is REALLY beneficial to work on real people.

Attachments

• 293159_276347169147591_1393470917_n.jpg
    293159_276347169147591_1393470917_n.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 41

Latest posts

Back