1st post - Lifting problems

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TipTopTips

Reaction score
Hi all, been browsing for a week or so now but its time to stop lurking I think!!

I'm 5 weeks into a nail course (NVQ Level 3 Beauty Therapy Nail Services), using NSI system. Liquid and powder at the moment but will be doing gels and scults eventually.
Having quite a few little problems tho most will sort with time and practice (less than perfect smile line, taking a little over 2 hours to do a full set) My main problem is lifting within a relatively short time.....sometimes before I've even finished buffing! I cant think what I'm doing wrong, manicure with cuticle oil, but hands are washed afterwards to remove all traces. I lightly buff nail to remove shine, dehydrate nail bed with the liquid in the NSI kit, apply tip, blend tip, apply primer and so on with the acrylic, 3 step application.I was doing it by the book but I've started redehydrating each nail bed prior to doing each finger now on top of prepping them all at the start (a little less lifting but still over 20% are lifting before the day is out!)
I really am stuck as to what to try next, tutor just said that I must be doing it wrong...most helpful!

Also another quick query, my best mate desperately wants me to do her nails but her natural nail bed is sooooooooo flat and broad I'm wondering what I can use. Her nail bed is quite long, straight and overall nice condition but my largest nail just doesnt come close to her thumb size, her index finger is around a size 3 but totally flat!!

Any comments or suggestions to either or both of the above quandries would be appreciated.

Cheers

TTT

Hi there!

Welcome to the site! Im pretty new myself but i have really got alot out from the tutorial sections. If you click on the link that discussed prep, it will guide u through step by step. I have just ordered some of the items used and really looking forward to trying it out!!

Hope this helps

Kim x

Read it, several times in case i'm missing something and although I havent got that make of product its sounds pretty close to what I am doing.

Hands washed
Manicure with cutical oil
Hands washed
Sanitise spray
Nails lightly buffed to remove shine
Nailpure
Nailtip (blend & trim)
Superbond primer
3 stage pink and white powder application etc

As it takes me a while to apply and blend the tips I've started using the nailpure again after blending, it has cut the lifting problem but not enough. I thought that maybe it was the fact that I keep my nails long and that it was too much pressure but I've done a short sporty set and still had same lifting. I dont apply thickly so could it be that its too thin? Are some make of products more known for lifting.....not that I want to blame my tools, I know its either something I'm doing wrong or high oil in mine and my 2 human guinea pigs nails!

Main things that stopped my lifting was making sure I got rid of ALL the non living tissue on the nail plate, and if I couldn;t shift it then make sure I leave my product clear of it. Make sure you leave a gap around the edges so that your product cannot come into contact with the skin.

However are you preparing with a cuticle OIL, if so then this may be your problem. It will enter into the nail plate and act as a barrier to the product when applied and cause the lifting. If you need to use a product to remove the cuticle then use a cuticle remover (I use CNDs cuticle eraser, but I only use it if there is a lot of debris on the nail) and amke sure you wipe off thoroughly.

I think maybe you are putting too much moisture into the nail plate with OVER prepping!!! Your tutor sounds really helpful - NOT!

sassy said it , cut out the oil and use a cuticle remover. keep clear of the edges.

another thing that causes lift in the early days, is having your product too thick at the cuticle. it causes the nail to be too rigid so instead of flexing it see saws and lifts.

Thanks for your help...hands are washed with soap and water before and after using cuticle oil as well as sanitiser spray but maybe I'll give it a wide berth and see if it makes a difference, although I'm getting a chalky look to the nail it is possible that with 2 lots of soap and water, sanitiser spray, 2 applications of nail pure and nail primer there is too much moisture. It definitely isn't that i'm applying too thick as there is no visible growth line after 2-3 weeks (can feel it but not see it!!)....maybe too thin?

What is the answer if you do get lifting tho...strip it all off and start again or is there a way of repair?

Cheers

TTT

Look at the tutorial on applying in zone 3, it may be that you aren't applying enough pressure on your bead too. But don't use oil to prep.

Just read the tutorial, seems to make sense, think i've been doing too much pulling and not enough pushing.....can I ask what size brush I should be using (as a beginner) no idea what size I am using as it came in the kit from college and just has makers stamp on it (NSI) but last night I did my friends nails and felt that I'd outgrown it....feels too small somehow tho when I started I thought it was way too big! Could do with a spare anyway I think so any recommendations on brush makes/size?

Cheers TTT

Oh, and just seen my mates nails.....I think the moisture thing was the key as we were lazy last night, both tired, I'd just highlighted her hair and we'd both had enough....only sanitised and primed her nails first......WOOOOHOOOO no lifting!

Can't help on that one hun as I'm a gel user!

Hiya TTT, there's loads of things you will learn on your way to being a great nail tech and this is one of the best places to learn....

I started off doing a course at college....the nail education you get varies at local CFE's, but I would say stick with what you're using until you finish your course and get the basics under your belt......you never know, once you have finished your course and solved your teething problems, the system you are using will be fine for you and your clients.

Latest posts

Back