About MMA consumer and professional info site.

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hubby!

Reaction score
Hi,

After contacting my local H&S office, and being told that there is absolutely nothing they can do about it, I have decide to try and make the general public a little more aware of exactly what this product is.

Just wanted a few of you to take a peek and offer any views before I upload it to it's rightful place (which will be www.aboutmma.co.uk)

The site is for both consumers and professionals for reference. There are downloadable PDF files for the professional to print out and hand to their clients as well as useful information for the concerned consumer. There is also links pages where Salons and Technicians can be listed who DO NOT use this product.

Eventually the NO MMA logo will be available on the download page so that you, the professionals, can use it on your own websites. Also, you'll be able to have a link to this information on your sites. This way, we will all be using the same information and slogans and seem a little more serious in our quest to outlaw this. That's why I would like your input.

The sample site is held on one of my other servers at present, but it will be uploaded to it's own webspace once it is completely finished:-

It has something to do with the way this forum picks up anything with MMA in the title. It's breaking up the link. Maybe one of the admin or mods can help.

In the meantime:-

To access, you'll need to highlight the address, then press Ctrl+C. Open a new Internet Explorer window, click in the address bar at the top, then press Ctrl+V to paste the address in the bar.

http://www.btinternet.com/~ukredskins/mma/index.html

See what you think??

I tried to view the article but was unable to access it :cry:

Same here. The link attached is the article that Sam did about MMA.

Sorry.....

It has something to do with the way this forum picks up anything with MMA in the title. It's breaking up the link. Maybe one of the admin or mods can help.

In the meantime:-

To access, you'll need to highlight the address, then press Ctrl+C. Open a new Internet Explorer window, click in the address bar at the top, then press Ctrl+V to paste the address in the bar.

I like it very much - great site Hubby! (it's weird saying that to somone other than my husband :o )

It's not scary and overly sensational for 'clients' but its informative and clear about the risks and things they need to be aware of.

I would be more than happy to link to your site (and I don't link to many, only people I personally know and/or trust)

Much impressed :D

Trin

Hey this is great to be thinking like this my only comments are as follows:

1. how do you plan to get this information to the general public - there is already a lot of information on MMA on the internet - how do you plan to get yours more accessible than the other stuff.

2. Would it not be better to quote information from UK sources rather than US sources - do you not think that the UK public would be more interested in UK research.

In the meantime - good for you.

Trinity Nails said:
I like it very much - great site Hubby! (it's weird saying that to somone other than my husband :o )

It's not scary and overly sensational for 'clients' but its informative and clear about the risks and things they need to be aware of.

I would be more than happy to link to your site (and I don't link to many, only people I personally know and/or trust)

Much impressed :D

Trin

Thanks Trin.

I call myself Hubby! because it's my Wife who is actually the Beauty Therapist and Nail Technician. I am totally unqualified. However, as I am very supportive, who do you think was the 'guinea pig' whilst all the training was in progress????

Believe it or not, I actually know quite a lot about all this. People are really surprised when I speak to them about how much I actually do know, for a Bloke.......:D

It takes only 30 - 35 minutes to remove a set of EMA-based acrylic nailss by soaking in acetone, but anything up to 2 hours to remove MMA-based ones, and then sometimes only by using electric drills and files.

copyied this quote from the page just thought it may be better to say about the MMa removal first and then explain what EMA is and then the length of time for that. We know what EMA is but the genral public doesnt.

Other than that thought it was excellent really informative without being too scarey and the photos were lovely and hideous to back it up, very well done, let us know when the logo is about so we can add it to our pages, would be pleased to link to this
x

naturalnails said:
Hey this is great to be thinking like this my only comments are as follows:

1. how do you plan to get this information to the general public - there is already a lot of information on MMA on the internet - how do you plan to get yours more accessible than the other stuff.

2. Would it not be better to quote information from UK sources rather than US sources - do you not think that the UK public would be more interested in UK research.

In the meantime - good for you.

Hi Naturalnails,

Thanks for your comments. In answer to you points:

1. You the professional will be routing all your Clients with concerns to this site. Well, that's the idea. It willl also be listed in all the major search engines. Also, I agree, there is already a lot of information on the internet about MMA. The idea of this site, is to simplify it, break it down, into 'readable' and 'understandable' format. When I did my first MMA search, there was loads of stuff that came back. Pages and pages of the SAME stuff, which to be honest, got boring reading. Not only this, but to the average person, they wouldn't really understand it anyway.

2. Information from UK sources is very limited. As a country, we are WAY behind most others, more to the point, the US. The use of MMA has been prohibited in the Nail Industry since the 1970's. They have already carried out several studies on the effects. After all, this is where all the information came from. Like I said before, my local H&S officer hadn't even heard of MMA. This has now been a concern over here for years, so for the officer is charge of this district not to have heard of MMA was unbelievable. A plain answer to your question would be "Yes, the UK public would prefer to hear about UK affairs and studies", but where are they???

Hi Hubby (yes that does sound weird LOL)

The information you have given is great - the only things I would be unsure about are the downloaded attachments - they are all from US Nails Mag (I think) and dated over 5 years ago.

There have been articles in our UK mags in recent times which although they probably contain the same information at least they are coming from UK sources as such and are more recent. It comes to a perception thing.

Whilst I also agree that MMA is the devil incarnate - in all reality is there not vastly more damage done to consumers through untrained and uneducated technicians - using products incorrectly and also using e-files incorrectly.

Please don't think I am knocking what you are doing - I certainly am not. We need to get information out to consumers but maybe in a wider scale rather than just focusing on the MMA side.

Keep it up though!

Hi Hubby,
I have just managed to look at the site, Very well thought out and what we as professionals need, More education on MMA getting to the general public.
I do agree with Fiona's previous post that the source for information would be better if bang up to date and coming from the industry here in the uk.
JMO

Naturalnails / Lell,

Once again, many thanks for your input. I don't take what you are saying the wrong way at all. After all, I did ask for opinions.

Refering to the UK scene again, do you have any UK articles that you could email to me. I would be happy to change the content. Maybe even the GMG would like to make a short 'Statement', or any other Industry Professional for that matter.

About the point that naturalnails made about untrained technicians and e-files, Yes, I do agree with you. I'll have a paragraph included about this. Well spotted......

In all honesty, maybe I have been a little selfish here. We have two NSS in our high street. Although our Salon is still in it's infancy, these places are jam packed whilst my Technicians are 'window watching', although only some of the time, but it's still fustrating. It's the comments like "they never come off", "it only takes 45 minutes" and "they are soooo cheap, it's great" that have really rallied me to this. After showing these exact same people one of the MMA articles, all be it form the US, with the 'hard hitting' photos, they all booked for removals within 24 hours.

What we have to be careful of is the consumer adapting the 'sour grapes' attitude. Damn right it's 'sour grapes' but how else can we get this accross without looking like 'sour grapes'. It's the Wolf in Sheeps clothing approach we have to take on. I had thought about a local (10 mile radius) mailshot about it. This cost's money, lots of it 'to do it right'. Things have to be done 'right'. Last time I did this, I had 27,000 copies of an A5, full colour two sided leaflet printed. By the time I had them delivered it cost me just under £1000. Would you like me to tell you the response we got??? Not £1000 worth I can tell you that.

Hi Hubby,
It is a difficult one the whole MMA thing, I know Samuel did a piece on watchdog about it a while back. This is what we need to get the info out to the public, I know that quite a few geeks have info on mma use here in the uk, no doubt they will see this and respond to you ;)

I'm sure 'chocolate' has allot about MMA on her website which may be more UK related.

geeg said:
I'm sure 'chocolate' has allot about MMA on her website which may be more UK related.

Her link to the MMA documents on the website don't work. I'll send her an email letting her know. Thanks for the info.

thanx for info. I will using it my newsletters....................

OOPs! Ill sort that link, sorry!
If you PM me your address, i have lots of info i can send, its great to have someone who feels the same. I do hope you have signed my petition, i have to hit 2000 before my mp will take it to those above!

Hi Hubby

Had a look at your site (not downloads though) and think its great that you've put the time and effort in doing this.

A couple of comments I'd make:
Wearing masks is not necessarily a sign of MMA. Many local authorities require them, some technicians need to wearthem and it does state in the MSDS for a MMA based monomer that they are required.
Many trained technicians use e-files. It is their choice and, if they are trained and do not use them on the natural nail plate, its fine and not a sign of using MMA.
I'm not sure the images relate directly to MMA damage. These types of damage can be caused by many things.
Big brushes and one bead application is not only for MMA. It is an application technique that some techs like.

If your site is directed at the consumer I think it may be better to be more specific and not use any tenuous examples as they can always be questioned.

For example, an MMA based artificial nail tends to be cloudy and often thick and very rigid. When buffing an MMA nail there is a very recognisable smell that is a bit 'fishy'. They take a long time to soak off.

I hope you can see thepoint I am making. It's great that you're doing it but I do feel it needs very specific and unarguable pointers. Not some that are possibly technique based.

Latest posts

Back