Acrylics on children?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meme!

Reaction score
hi geeks,can anyone tellme how young is to young to have acrylics?is there an age where you wont do i have a girl whos ten and wants acrylics im also doing her mother or wants her daughter to have them aswell.any advice would be helpful.x

Personally I think 10 is way too young, however if the mum wants her to have them done then I suppose it's her choice. I think I would do the treatment if the parent signed a consent form and my insurance gave me the go ahead. Just my personal opinion x

Forgot to add that I read on a thread once that if you do treatments on under 16's they have 3 years after their 18th birthday to make a claim against you. I will try and finds the thread and post the link up!

10 is a silly age. Sorry!
I will go as low as 15 with parents permission

Personally I think 10 is way too young, however if the mum wants her to have them done then I suppose it's her choice. I think I would do the treatment if the parent signed a consent form and my insurance gave me the go ahead. Just my personal opinion x

I agree completely. I wouldnt let my 10 year old have acrylics, but then again I'm a nail tech, I'm not there to tell other parents how to bring their kids up. As long as my insurance were ok with me doing it and the parent signed a consent form I would do them. We all have different standards where kids are concerned and I dont think its our place to tell others how to bring their kids up. Personally I hate to see small children with pierced ears for example but does that mean they should be dictated to and told not to do it? I'm not so sure.

this is what i thought i wouldnt myself let or want my ten year old to have acrylics on one there waaaay to young what you tryna be and also i dont think ten year old would even know how to look after there own nails never mind having acrylics on them.i was concerned and not sure what todo.thank you for the advicex

is a consent form just written by myself on paper with the names and details of treatments for them to sign?

i will contact my insuranse tomorrow and double check but have also made a consent form just incase.x

I have a 10 year old daughter. A ten year old girl is no way responsible enough to look after acrylic nails. I think it's dangerous to be honest. They could do a lot of irreversible damage to their natural nail. Ten year olds get up to all sorts without paying any attention to their nails. Not on God's earth would I put acrylic on them. Ever.:Scared:

Consent form, insurance etc, not bothered if I'm covered. I wouldn't want to be responsible for this girls accidents and damage either way.

I agree completely. I wouldnt let my 10 year old have acrylics, but then again I'm a nail tech, I'm not there to tell other parents how to bring their kids up. As long as my insurance were ok with me doing it and the parent signed a consent form I would do them. We all have different standards where kids are concerned and I dont think its our place to tell others how to bring their kids up. Personally I hate to see small children with pierced ears for example but does that mean they should be dictated to and told not to do it? I'm not so sure.

I strongly disagree. Although we are not here to tell other parents how to raise their kids, we do have a right to refuse to be part of it. Just because some silly parent thinks it's a good idea, doesn't mean you have to do it. No lecture, just no. There are serious liability issues here, ones that extend for years after the service. And oddly enough, it's the very parent who will sign a consent form who will blame and sue you later!

I strongly disagree. Although we are not here to tell other parents how to raise their kids, we do have a right to refuse to be part of it. Just because some silly parent thinks it's a good idea, doesn't mean you have to do it. No lecture, just no. There are serious liability issues here, ones that extend for years after the service. And oddly enough, it's the very parent who will sign a consent form who will blame and sue you later!

I agree with this.

We have the right to refuse treatment if we don't see fit. I had a parent who asked if I would do Gelish on her 8 year old. I wouldn't do it for several reasons. Although I know some Tech's here would do it, I just wouldn't. At the end of the day, we are the professionals, and if we feel it is not suitable, especially for a child...we have the right to say no!!!

the more i think foit it just doesnt sit right with me.iv had time to think, and think il ask if its definatley acrylics she wnats and just refuse due to so and so.but offer a paint or something on her as a alternative?

the more i think foit it just doesnt sit right with me.iv had time to think, and think il ask if its definatley acrylics she wnats and just refuse due to so and so.but offer a paint or something on her as a alternative?

I think you need to have a standard policy on this, otherwise it looks like some form of discrimination, or at least, a judgment against the parents. Establish some age limits for different services and have a rationale for each. Write it up and be able to give it to anyone that asks. That way it is clear that this is your standard policy, not something you change from person to person.

I would never assume to know more about a child than the parent does. For all we know that 10 year old could be a real nail/beauty enthusiast and may look after them really well, that's the parents place to decide whether they are suitable or not, not mine. I would be very annoyed if I took my child somewhere for something doing and the therapist assumed to know my child better than me. I'm not in the business of telling other people how to live their lives, I would certainly advise the parent about maintenance, potential nail damage etc etc, but if the parent, in possession of all the facts still decided that the treatment was suitable for her child then I would do it. If other techs disagree then thats absolutely fine, how other people run their salons is entirely their business and I respect that, just as I would expect others to respect my decisions on how I run my business.

I would never assume to know more about a child than the parent does. For all we know that 10 year old could be a real nail/beauty enthusiast and may look after them really well, that's the parents place to decide whether they are suitable or not, not mine. I would be very annoyed if I took my child somewhere for something doing and the therapist assumed to know my child better than me. I'm not in the business of telling other people how to live their lives, I would certainly advise the parent about maintenance, potential nail damage etc etc, but if the parent, in possession of all the facts still decided that the treatment was suitable for her child then I would do it. If other techs disagree then thats absolutely fine, how other people run their salons is entirely their business and I respect that, just as I would expect others to respect my decisions on how I run my business.

Hi hun

I don't think it is a question of knowing the child better then the Parent. But a question as professionals, we know the stopline.... Especially when it comes to children. Just personally, I would not allow a 10 year old to have Acrylics. Their nails are so delicate. And it also isn't a question of if they would do their best to look after them. It can be accidental to break them or rip them off to the extent, it could hurt them.

I think this is all down to strong personal opinions here. I know I wouldn't entertain in giving a child that young Nail Enhancements. If the parent didn't like it, I am sure they would just go elsewhere...but I would feel better knowing I wasn't the one who did it, when I don't like the idea!

Omg I wouldnt do it! My cousin is turning 13 this november and I know I wont get sued by her lol bit I still wont do it till she is 15. I cant belive those nail techs who do little nails on like 3 and 4 year olds for pagents ekkk

This is not a matter of knowing a child better than a parent (and let us not forget that not all parents are good parents). This is a matter of you knowing your profession. Just as your doctor knows more about your child's medical condition, you know more about nail chemistry and products and their impact upon people. And you should feel free to act on that superior knowledge. I'm not saying this to disagree with your decision, but to encourage you to act as a professional, to act based on your knowledge of your field, and even to act contrary to the wishes and demands of others if your professional wisdom determines it to be harmful. Remember, you will be held accountable for your actions in your own heart if nowhere else.

I let my 11 year old have acrylics for her holidays and matching gel.toes. I didn't prep her nail just literally put the acrylic on really short. They lifted and came off after about 10 days without a mark on her nail plate.
She had cuticle oil on everyday and had no problems.
I wouldn't do them on anybody elses child but I know I can do them properly and control how she looks after them xx

Sent from my GT-N7000 using SalonGeek

It's an absolute NO!!!!!!
I can't believe you're even considering it as it would be highly irresponsible in my opinion!
I have 4 daughters, and I think 15 at the very youngest for gel/ acrylic.
Young children aren't mature and sensible enough all the time to know how to look after nails like this and they really could do some damage!:eek:
Maybe offer a treatment like shellac so she would get a pamper but without any risk ;)

no way, a ten year old is still growing and there nails would not be fully grown yet and acrylic nails do damage the natural nail and it just wouldn't be right to do them on a ten year old,

tell her you can do a really nice paint with some nail art or something but i wouldn't do acrylics

Latest posts

Back