Advice needed re: going mobile with nails

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Katfin

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm just looking for a bit of advice around starting up doing nails particularly Shellac.

I have long put off going mobile, if I'm honest due to a lack of confidence and over thinking things and creating obstacles that don't exist.

I'm now going to just go for it!

Please can someone advise me how they work from a clients house, for example do you use a mobile nail station?

Any tips would be a great help

Hi Katfin
I'm due to go mobile soon too and I'm not really sure how it's going to pan out. I guess you have to experience it then adapt.
I have a mobile table, med sized wheely case (containing folding stool, lamp, LED lamp, towels & extension cable) and finally a beauty case which sits on top of wheely case (containing products and tools)
It's taken me ages to get kitted out as I wanted separate equipment so I didn't have to pack and then unpack all my salon kit for every mobile trip.
Good luck with your mobile business let us know how you get on xxx

Hi Bliss69

Thank you for your reply! I like your style...good advice is to experience it and adapt I think I will repeat that to myself when I start worrying!

Good luck to you aswell hope all goes well xxx

Hi ladies ive been mobile for 20mths now & i supply everything except table and chairs. Almost everyone has a table and chairs of some sort. And if they dont you adapt to the situation. You'd be amazed how creative you can be in a situation. The problem is being mobile you carry so much kit around it just gets ridiculous. You definitely learn fast at the beginning but making mistakes is what makes you better yourself in the long run. Good luck ☺

Thank you for your advice Helen, I'm so glad I posted now feeling excited now and just need to go with it and if mistakes are made makes you better in the long run like you say x

Hey katfin you have described exactly what I am doing I have just set up mobile doing gel polish too. I've been interested in getting a nail table too, but tbh I haven't even got a trolley yet, that really will be the next investment! You really need to let me know how you get on, I am on fb already as Rebecca Beevers gel polish manicurist. Are you on too? Can anyone reccomend a trolley please? Xx

I do mobile, I bought a fold up small table from Ikea, I've only used it once! I just use their kitchen table and keep my fold up in the car boot just in case. I carry enough stuff into the house without having to drag in a table as well.

Hi, I've been a mobile therapist for 10 years & do lots of different treatments & try to carry as compact as possible (doesn't always happen!) - you don't need a special table/chair for manicures - just use there kitchen/dining area....or on the sofa sitting next to each other - so long as your lamp (if doing shellac etc) is stable & put down couch roll incase of spillages etc. Also I have a small extension lead with me in case their socket is not close by.
Hope that helps - if you have any queries, don't hesitate to message me. Happy to help!

Thank you very much for your replies helps greatly! I am not on Facebook yet Rebecca hopefully will have the social side worked out next week just waiting for my website to be ready! Good luck with your venture x

I'm not mobile but I would of thought that maybe some form of plastic sheeting for the floor would be a good idea too incase of spillages and would be required by your insurance.

Must haves for me being mobile are :- Extension lead, plastic sheet x2 (one for table & one for floor when doing pedi too), small water spray bottle for fingers or toes (to deactivate cuticle remover), portable daylight lamp, towels, well the list is endless in my case as i cater for any eventuality. I do stamping, glitters, additives, foils, regular polish aswell as retail products too!!!

I totally disagree with not needing a table.
I did manicures/gel polish on clients for a year before I bought a table and it killed my neck and back as well as being uncomfortable for clients working on sofas etc as Not everyone has a table.

Fold up ones are so cheap and don't take up much room at all. And it looks so much more professional when your all set up at a desk/table rather than on a couch. xx

I think it's going to be one of my next things. I like to do nail art and its so much harder trying to do it at an angle x

Plenty if towels/table or floor protectors. Last thing you want is a client table or wood floor staining. I have a mobile table but hardly use it. I alway check with any new client if they have a table I can use and if not I can bring my own. My other advice would be to get a good bag to carry everything in. Lots of compartments etc for everything. I have the roo glamour bag and it's perfect. As helencowleard says the list is endless. Good luck and enjoy. Xx

Lots of great advise thanks girls.
I have a Roo beauty case too which stores products and tools common to all my treatments. Then I have three separate small 'really useful' boxes for manicures, pedicures and gel in which I have the extra relevant liquids, etc so depending on the appointment I don't have to take absolutely everything.
Also I have decanted liquids (polish remover, cleanser, etc) into small travel bottles to save on weight/space.
I'm glad I brought a table I like to look professional and it will satisfy my ocd for everything being exact lol. Having said that it weighs a ton!
Still haven't done a mobile appointment yet! I keep meaning to spread the word but something's stopping me? I should just bite the bullet

I have a couple of oil cloth table cloths I use to cover tables etc.

Hi, I've been mobile for over 5 yrs now and love it. Do you have to be super organised yes. The way you pack your bag and the order in which you pack your car make all the difference. I also encourage you to really think about your storage solutions. You may convince yourself you need a huge trolley but it ends up half full or you could end up with 3 small bags all spilling out. So really look at your kit and go for something that works with your car boot, your way of working and that has lots of compartments to keep you organised. For years my bag was a B&Q case on wheels which was only £25 and brilliant! I carry a table and foldable stool in my boot but haven't used it in years as I now have the same set of regulars who prefer me to set up at their table. I always carry a waterproof sheet as others have said and I'm never without an extension lead. Once a week I unpack the whole case, fill up all my bottles of decanted liquids etc and get it set up for the week ahead.
Also spend some time thinking about your appointment timing. Pack your bags in the order that means you can get started as soon as you arrive. For example my remover wraps/towel and removing solution are at the top of my case so I wrap my client as soon as I arrive while I carry on unpacking and getting set up. When you have travel time to account for - every second counts.

Good luck!

Oh the Roo beauty case sounds great I will have a look at that! Yeah I think you are right about a table can pick them up cheap enough and I would feel more in control of the setting up etc! Once get regulars can always swap about if it fits in better! Floor covers too great point the lists could go on and on! Thanks everyone!
I think you should just bite the bullet bliss!! [emoji1]I've felt the same for a long time but what's to loose?! X

Hiya. I'm new here. Planning to start up at the beginning of July!
I was asking my sister about tables just this morning!. She has a portable table, but most times she uses what's already there. Only once did she have issues with someone who only had a breakfast bar, which also vetoed using her portable table as there were no suitable seats. It's made me think about potentially carrying stools, too.

Great tip FloJo for wrapping clients nails then finish setting up LOVE IT
I've got an oil cloth tablecloth up the loft it doesn't quite go with my colour scheme (there's my ocd again!) but it will do.
I have a lady interested in a mobile appointment later this month!!!!!! GULP

Latest posts

Back