Advice on cabin in garden?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sparkle_Beauty_

Reaction score
Hi, I was just wondering if theres anyone who currently works from a cabin or something similar from home, and if so if they have any advice?
I set up from home a few months ago and love it but i'd like to have something seperate from the house so have been looking at log cabins, but im not too sure what is involved?

Any help is much appriciated! =)

Iv worked from a cabin in my garden for about 5 years now. Best thing I ever did! Some local authorities do want planning etc so make sure you phone them and check their requirements. You also have to have adequate parking, so that it dosent affect your neighbours. Things like running water and toilets are also a subject that seems to change from council to coulcil. My local council wouldnt allow me to have a toilet, as they would then charge me a huge amount of council tax as it could be classed as a dwelling! Then you need a health and safety check. They check things like do you have washable floors/sanitisable work surfaces/fire extinquisher/first aid kit available, all that sort of thing!
Phew! Think thats about all I can think of at mo!:hug:

Don't forget you'll have to pay business rates for it too!

Jes

This is something i'm looking into for next year too. Just to clarify does it need to have a toilet in?
Also i was told that if it had multiple uses and wasn't solely used as a business then you wouldn't have to pay taxes on this...is this correct?

Also i was told that if it had multiple uses and wasn't solely used as a business then you wouldn't have to pay taxes on this...is this correct?
If you dedicate an area, solely, for business you'll have to pay business rates for that area.

You may or may not have to pay business rates on an area with a mixed use I.E. not just used for business. It depends on your local council to decide this.

There's some information about it here Using your home for business purposes | Business Link

Cabins make a wonderful working environment as well as space for your customers to come to for treatments.

The only advice I can offer is...don't install an open fire :eek::lol::hug:

Good luck and you will wonder why you haven't already done it for so long and that you love working from it :hug:

Thanks for all your replies, it's given me pleanty of things to think about and look into :)

Latest posts

Back