Renting out a room, advice needed.

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TartanLass

Reaction score
Hello, I currently do PMU from a renovated garage space in my home. I’ve been approached to rent out my space a couple of days per week. This lady is a tattoo artist, she also does PMU. I’ve no idea what to charge for this? Also she wants to do an hourly rate instead of a daily rate, I’m not sure which is better? Any advice would be appreciated as I’m not good when it comes to business.

Would the permission from the council and mortgage company cover someone else coming in? Also, insurance needs consideration.
Daily rate or I wouldn't bother personally. Hourly just means if they don't have bookings you aren't getting paid.

Would the permission from the council and mortgage company cover someone else coming in? Also, insurance needs consideration.
Daily rate or I wouldn't bother personally. Hourly just means if they don't have bookings you aren't getting paid.
Hello, she currently has a licence that she can use at another location. I’ve got a licence and appropriate insurance etc too. She called the council, as the recently inspected my set up they’ve no objections. My garage room was purpose built for PMU so also suitable for tattooing. Thank you so much for the reply, I’m on the fence and thinking it’s maybe not worth while, although some regular extra income is tempting.

Well it does sound like it could work well - there is a risk that she damages your business by poaching clients but in general with both of you working hard you should generate enough work for the two of you.

I would suggest a daily rate or a commission split. When I hire a self employed therapist the agreement is either a minimum of 4 hours booking OR 50% of the treatment. Maybe you could suggest something similar.

I’d also suggest that you create a website advertising both of you. It will look really professional to have 2 therapists and makes you look more established.

Good luck and keep us updated

Well it does sound like it could work well - there is a risk that she damages your business by poaching clients but in general with both of you working hard you should generate enough work for the two of you.

I would suggest a daily rate or a commission split. When I hire a self employed therapist the agreement is either a minimum of 4 hours booking OR 50% of the treatment. Maybe you could suggest something similar.

I’d also suggest that you create a website advertising both of you. It will look really professional to have 2 therapists and makes you look more established.

Good luck and keep us updated
Hi, thanks so much for the reply. I’ll keep all of that in mind. I’m not sure it’s going to work as initially she said she wouldn’t do brows but now saying she will just do microbladling. Can’t see me getting many clients that way as microblading is the buzz word, most people don’t know the difference between that and machine work. Also she’s stated she just wants to do an hourly rate of £10, she might just use the room for 2 hours at a time. Considering everything I’m not sure it’s worth it to be perfectly honest.

I agree, £20 doesn’t make it worth while. She needs to have some skin in the game.

Latest posts

Back