Advise wanted!!!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leah82

Reaction score
Hi guys could do with your advise!! I did my 1st set of l&p acrylic tips other day on my mum in law!!! They don't look bad had good feedback and my mum loves em but i found that the line between the tip and the cuticle was still quite noticable after i'd blended. What did i do wrong how do i stop this happening again? Also on a couple of nails the tips wouldn't sit quite flat to the nail even after shaping to fit? I'm still in the practising stage going to start training next month hopefully, but had a go with an acrylic kit. I know, I know its not the best method but needed to do something whist waiting to start my course and they came out better than i thought they would, theres no lifting and they feel great (mum says). I painted them as thats what she wanted so you can't see the line but if they weren't it would stand out a mile!! She's coming round tomorrow so that i can re paint them and want to know where i went wrong. I know i'll learn alot on the course but just wanted some feedback for the present time.
I also have been practising my nail art!!! Thats coming on well at least, lol!! Plus just got the new Marion Newman book: The complete nail technician volume 2, so hopefully that will help a bit, had a look but still a bit confused!!!
Look forward to any help you can give!!!!!

Hi Leah, sorry but the best advice I could give you is to wait until you have done your course before you start practising! you may be doing all sorts of things wrong? x

Hi Leah

Asperations is right, you're probably better off waiting on the practical stuff but read, read, and read again :D

Marians book is one of my bibles so you've made a good purchase there, if you want some other really great info become a premium geek and check out the Premium Geek tutorials, there is one called 'Product Control!! Part 4 - Zone 3 – Making it disappear' and will answer all your questions and more

HTH
Trin
xx

HI,
I also think you are best to wait until your course...it is easier to learn with a fresh mind and not one that has already picked up some bad habits.
I love your enthusiasm, and that will help in your training....but even phrases like 'the line between the tip and the cuticle', show your lack of experience....the tip should be nowhere near the cuticle area, I take it you just mean the nail plate,
and you are meaning that you have not blended the tip properly....there is an excellent tutorial on here regarding the blending of tips but again I would advise that you just read over the tutorial....and look forward to your course which will give you all the help and KNOWLEDGE that you are looking for....
Good Luck!

izzidoll said:
HI,
I also think you are best to wait until your course...it is easier to learn with a fresh mind and not one that has already picked up some bad habits.
I love your enthusiasm, and that will help in your training....but even phrases like 'the line between the tip and the cuticle', show your lack of experience....the tip should be nowhere near the cuticle area, I take it you just mean the nail plate,
and you are meaning that you have not blended the tip properly....there is an excellent tutorial on here regarding the blending of tips but again I would advise that you just read over the tutorial....and look forward to your course which will give you all the help and KNOWLEDGE that you are looking for....
Good Luck!

yeh i know what your saying but at least i'm willing to put the effort in to get it right!! You can buy this kits all over the show, and people will just use them willy nilly, argos being one of the places and its really hard just sitting here twiddling my thumbs as HOPEFULLY i'll do the course in a few weeks finance permitting but in the mean time i'm just sat here!! I know i can practise my nail art which is what i'm doing, but i'm not totally in the dark with nails, ok not applied them before but there are certain steps you have to take which doin prep work etc... which having had mine done for some time i've picked up on plus reading all the info and advise on here. I know some of my wording wasn't correct but couldn't think how to word it, yeh i couldn't get the tips to blend or sit totally flat to the nail on a couple of the nails. I don't want you all thinking bad of me for trying, i wasn't charging her for them or doing someones nails i don't know. I know your thinking i might damage the nails etc.. but i checked and double checked doing everything before i started. Ok i've done wrong, feel like i'm in trouble now.:sad:
Marion's book thoughs really great!!! I totally agree!! IS the first edition much different from the second? I have the newer edition!!!

heh hon - it is soooooo hard when you can't wait to start isn't it, but the girls are right!!
I posted the question should I have a practice before I start or wait - I was told to wait and boy it was hard but so worth it - I was taught the right way from day one and have been practising like mad ever since!!! but now I know that at least I am doing it the right way I am sure that waiting made all the difference because I didn't pick up any bad habits before I was shown the right way!!

Nobody id going to think bad of you for wanting to try and have a go - I think they have just got your best interest at heart :) and in the long run it will be easier!

For instance I was a manicurist before I started on my L+P and just holding the file is different - my tutor kept saying ohh I can so tell you do manicures LOL

Practice your nail art instead and have fun with that and be patient sweetie - Good luck :)

I can sympathise with you totally. I'm booked to go a couple of courses, one to learn a new nail system and one to learn facials ! - I know, nothing to do with each other waht so ever. I can't wait to go and it seems to be ages away but have been trained in L & P about three years ago now I know the pitfulls of not waiting. You would be amazed what you can do wrong without even realising it. I think of what my first set of enhancements looked like and the pain my mum must of gone through where I was holding her fingers so tightly so she couldn't move and I cringe.

It is good you're eager but don't rush things. It is going to take you a lot of patience and practice before you are 100%. Even the best techs would probably tell you that it is a continual learning curve, I know I'm still learning.

Good luck with the courses you do !! Make sure you get the best training you can, good foundation skills will take you a long way.

leah82 said:
yeh i know what your saying but at least i'm willing to put the effort in to get it right!! You can buy this kits all over the show, and people will just use them willy nilly, argos being one of the places and its really hard just sitting here twiddling my thumbs as HOPEFULLY i'll do the course in a few weeks finance permitting but in the mean time i'm just sat here!! I know i can practise my nail art which is what i'm doing, but i'm not totally in the dark with nails, ok not applied them before but there are certain steps you have to take which doin prep work etc... which having had mine done for some time i've picked up on plus reading all the info and advise on here. I know some of my wording wasn't correct but couldn't think how to word it, yeh i couldn't get the tips to blend or sit totally flat to the nail on a couple of the nails. I don't want you all thinking bad of me for trying, i wasn't charging her for them or doing someones nails i don't know. I know your thinking i might damage the nails etc.. but i checked and double checked doing everything before i started. Ok i've done wrong, feel like i'm in trouble now.:sad:
Marion's book thoughs really great!!! I totally agree!! IS the first edition much different from the second? I have the newer edition!!!

Hi,
I really tried my best in writing my post to not sound critical, because I am not criticizing you but trying to answer your inquiry in a constructive way, you sound so keen and enthusiastic the LAST thing I would ever want to do is take away from that..........but from my experience in training I do find that a fresh mind is better to soak up all the information I will give them....and bad habits picked up from trying by yourself to do nails can be so hard to break!!
Nobody in any of their posts said you were damaging anyones nails probably because you do sound very aware and you obviously have been reading up on on this site....and I do take your point that it is a relative and not a paying client......but honestly you yourself will understand once you actually attend a reputable training course what we have been trying to say here......so again Good Luck......:hug:

Latest posts

Back