Allergic to nail products?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cloverhill

Reaction score
Hi everyone!
I'm just wondering if anyone who offers shellac & Brian lite smoothing gel, has ever had an allergic reaction to any of the products? Be it IPA or acetone etc?

I've been offering these for a couple years now and just recently (past 2 months) my head & scalp have been torturously itchy, but not a flake in sight?!! My pharmacist said it could possibly be the smell of the IPA/acetone etc that I have right under my nose at my nail station!! [emoji37]

Had this happened to anyone else? If so, what have you done to help? Wear a mask perhaps? I'd be delighted to hear any remedy no matter how small you think it is, as I'm absolutely NOT going to stop offering these treatments!!

Thanks for reading x

If it is what the pharmicist is saying then I would do the following: wear a mask; keep all products covered when not in use i.e. bottles of acetone, wipe off, monomer; use a desk extraction (I'm not sure if these extract smells or just dust; any cotton/lint pads/couch roll that you have used with any liquid products throw straight in a pedal push bin. Remember, most of the liquid products used evapourate over time so the quicker you remove used pads the better. Also, I always cover my monomer in between hands, or nails sometimes if i'm working a little longer on one nail than another.

Hope this helps.

If it is what the pharmicist is saying then I would do the following: wear a mask; keep all products covered when not in use i.e. bottles of acetone, wipe off, monomer; use a desk extraction (I'm not sure if these extract smells or just dust; any cotton/lint pads/couch roll that you have used with any liquid products throw straight in a pedal push bin. Remember, most of the liquid products used evapourate over time so the quicker you remove used pads the better. Also, I always cover my monomer in between hands, or nails sometimes if i'm working a little longer on one nail than another.

Hope this helps.
Thank you so much for your advice!! I've been taking antihistamines for a week now & have only had 4 sets of nails to do (friends!) as I went to see them!
As soon as I was finished my head start itching really badly. I'm devastated!!! Back to work on Friday so I'll make those changes ASAP & wear a mask from the second I start!

Thank you x

You're welcome. I don't know if covering your hair will make a difference or tying it up/back? If you have short hair then obvioulsy no good. Do you wash your hair after the treatments? Maybe that would reduce the itching. Anyway good luck with everything and hope you find a cure! xx

You're welcome. I don't know if covering your hair will make a difference or tying it up/back? If you have short hair then obvioulsy no good. Do you wash your hair after the treatments? Maybe that would reduce the itching. Anyway good luck with everything and hope you find a cure! xx

I usually wash it every 2nd 3rd day, but in the last year not so often (thanks to dry shampoo!! [emoji23][emoji23])

I'll see how I go & if all else fails I'll wash it every night [emoji42][emoji42]
Thank you xx

Latest posts

Back