American style nails

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buggy

Reaction score
Drove past a nail salon the other day and it had "American Style Nails" in their window. What is this? does anyone know? It is just another name for something or is it new?

Sorry to say this, but we have one here that says the same and it's an NSS.

Never heard of it and i am american!!!! lol.....but i do have an idea.....i think its the painted on french mani look (polish or airbrush). Correct me anyone if i have guessed wrong!

I think you are right! Like I say, our local salon promoting American style nails is an NSS complete with airbrushed French.

Right, i'm gonna go in and ask next time i'm near and see if its an NSS. thank God, i thought i was being really thick.

Not saying it is Toni, it's just that's how they seem to promote them round our neck of the woods.

I think american nails are like french except instead of using a bright white a slight beige or pink is used

o cool, its near my fella's house. i'll pop in and make enquiries next time i'm passing. if its not NSS i mite pick up some tips!

Amercian style nails are also called an american manicure. It's a natural look thats not as extreme as a french. They put a clear pink color on the nails bed then a very soft white on the tip. It looks very nice and natural and unlike a french it doesn't have a hard smile line, very soft almost blurred. It makes it look more like your natural nails.

MoMo said:
Amercian style nails are also called an american manicure. It's a natural look thats not as extreme as a french. They put a clear pink color on the nails bed then a very soft white on the tip. It looks very nice and natural and unlike a french it doesn't have a hard smile line, very soft almost blurred. It makes it look more like your natural nails.

O yea cool. one of my clients asked for a natural look so i used my normal velocity tips and put clear acrylic in zone 1 and pink in 2 and 3. came out looking like a natural nail. So now i can add that to my list too! hee hee.

suppose it's a bit like creative's custom blending then? haven't got around to going on that course yet but hopefully soon.

MoMo said:

I was told that the American French was more exteme than the European French - with VERY White whites and VERY pink, pinks!!:eek:

Now I`m confused!!!!! (which doesn`t take much) :confused:

o that's it! i'm phoning the damn salon tomorrow....

hi i was taught that a french was white and clear and american was white and pink, peach or cream

American nails down here is just the name of the slaon that trades as an NSS

Hi I now know what an american manicure is but what is NSS??

I'm in thick mode today - sorry

An NSS is a non standard salon (do a search and you'll find loads) who tend to use MMA, little sanitation, can't speak English very well, no consultation, over use of e-files to the extreme etc etc.

Unfortunately they seem to promote "American style nails", which I think is poor show as I'm sure most American techs would be peeved to be compared to an NSS (Chop shop in their terminology, and I think it's a better phrase for them!). Myabe they think it makes them sound hip and trendy and bringing something different - yeah right!

princessniknox said:
I was told that the American French was more exteme than the European French - with VERY White whites and VERY pink, pinks!!:eek:
an american manicure is normally a soft, more natural white, a french is normally a brighter white. I have an american manicure polish and it's really light in colour.
I've got 2 american clients who ask for it specifically as they don't like the harshness of the french colour, they have it on their toes as well as their fingers :eek:

NSS is a non-standard salon. Put NSS in the search and you'll get LOADS of info hth!!xx

ya' know what's funny? I've NEVER had someone (in America that is) ask for an American manicure!

And if NSS in europe is claiming to be "American" they need to friggin' stop it and go to :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: !!!!

I'm in Montreal.
In Montreal,
'French" is: white tips, with varying degrees of pink nail bed.
'Americian' is: beigey-white/natural tips, with either light natural pink or beige nail bed. Basically, made to look 'natural'.

NSS is "Non Standard Salon" in the United States.
Meaning they dont follow state regulations, may not be licensed, may not be hygienic.... may not be a lot of things.
And may use MMA's.

Also known as 'chopshops' for the mess they make of natural nail plates with drilling and 'forcing' off of the product that is to be replaced rather than soaking off or buffing off.

Hope that this is helpful.

Latest posts

Back