Any tips on taking photos

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cuttie_Pie

Reaction score
I do loads of nail art but when i take pics of my finished designs they always look blured and you cant see the details.. Every one else's pics that i have looked at are really clear how do i achieve this?

digital cameras are perfect for this

Mine is but it still seems very blurred. I use my mums and hers is top of the range

digital cameras that have a 'macro' are fab for taking closeups of nailart, you need to hold the camera dead still though. the 'macro' zooms in and the end result is a fab pic :)

Cuttie_Pie said:
I do loads of nail art but when i take pics of my finished designs they always look blured and you cant see the details.. Every one else's pics that i have looked at are really clear how do i achieve this?

Hi there......I have done a search ....as I was sure Glorsclaws gave some great advice about photographing your work not so long back....but I can't find it...I will search again...but who knows she may log on and answer this....try a search your self on either Cameras or Photos....and see what you find..HTH

"macro"???? what is this???

izzidoll said:
Hi there......I have done a search ....as I was sure Glorsclaws gave some great advice about photographing your work not so long back....but I can't find it...I will search again...but who knows she may log on and answer this....try a search your self on either Cameras or Photos....and see what you find..HTH

Thanxs for trying... ill have a go

on our camera the macro button has a tulip/flower symbol.
I suppose it depends on which camera you have, ours is a Nikon.

Yes you need to use the camera on the macro setting which is the little flower on most if not all camera's.
HTH
Caz xxx

Thanx so much ill have a go and post some of my tips....

A scanner is also a good way to take pic's of your nails take a look at this thread and it tells you how what DPS and how it looks.

http://www.beautytech.com/nailtech/nailnet23.htm

scroll down to CLICK, SNAP, SCAN

Loads of pic's on here via scanning. If it is a camera your after like you have been advised on here the 'macro' is the most important.

Take care xx

Try changing the setting to fine resolution and don't go too close up when taking the photo. You can then zoom in after and crop the image on your pc. Hope this helps.

Here's some of Jackie's latest nail art which has been taken with my new camera. The trick to taking good photos is getting the lighting right, keeping the subject (the nails) in proper focus and keeping the camera rock-steady, preferably with the use of a tripod.

I hope to post some simple help tips here soon. In the meantime, here's the pages that contain the pics:

http://www.libertynaildesign.com/seasonal-nail-art.html

http://www.libertynaildesign.com/coloured-acrylics-nailart.html

http://www.libertynaildesign.com/nail-art-pictures.html

As most people have mentioned - find the Macro setting on your camera, depending on the specs., you can get right up close with this. With my 4 year old Olympus I can take pics as close as 4", with Sean's new camera we can go in as close as 2"..... take lots of pics - you're bound to get at least one good one from a bundle of them. Try different lighting conditions and if you have the camera manual - see if you can find the bit in it that tells you about the White Balance settings - most digitals are set to auto with the option to change it depending on the kind of lighting you are using - change it around and see which setting suits the lighting you are using at that time.

Jackie
Liberty Nail Design

Some lovely work there Jackie!
I can see me having to come over to Dublin for a bit of airbrushing AND some lessons on how to use my camera! :lol:

I found the little flower! Ive been worrying about how much a camera to take decent pics would be and now I can use mine!! thanks for this thread!! x x

Great work Jackie you sure know how to use an airbrush.

Now the professional photographer chimes in..... The secret to good nail pictures is to use a camera that will allow you to change F-stops and Aperture. Greater depth of field comes with a larger number on the Fstop ring ..no less than f 5.6 or f 8. use a definative background ie black felt or construction paper. Dark color sheets work as well..Just drop a few rose pedals or toss some playsand about. If all you have is a small digital camera then make sure you use a lot of light ..it will increase the depth of field for you.

naillover said:
Now the professional photographer chimes in..... The secret to good nail pictures is to use a camera that will allow you to change F-stops and Aperture. Greater depth of field comes with a larger number on the Fstop ring ..no less than f 5.6 or f 8.

Sorry hun but I have absolutely no idea what you just said! x x x

Latest posts

Back