Anybody that doesn't like Vinylux?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I tried removal with cotton pads and lint free wipes (my own version, cut up wax strips!) and found neither good enough! Agree with the comment about sometimes it being streaky and not looking professional! Gone back to my OPI and really loving it, much better for me and my clients :)

For what it does, it is a challenging polish to work with, especially if you do more gel polish applications than regular polish. I've helped a few people with application and I think the problem is most people are applying too thin or are too heavy handed with the brush.

As for the no base thing, I found most colors stain the nails eventually, especially dark colors and on toe applications, so I just use a sheer color like lavishly loved as a base. I found some colors got thick over time despite not being used often but regularly shaken to mix. I've not found a solution to that yet. And the top coat tends to go thick halfway down the bottle despite taking extra care to not leave it open for long (I paint fast), keeping it in a cool, dark drawer, and not shaking it. I've had to toss out about 6 or 7 half used topcoats since January because they were just beyond usable.

Removal can be a pain so for reds, dark colors, and toes, I just wrap it for 5 minutes, then wiggle and pull off the wraps using pure acetone. I feel the nourishing remover is not strong enough. It just smells nice is all.

The color range is a bit lacking. I've had to purchase some Morgan Taylor polishes (which I love!) in colors that I felt my clients wanted but weren't available in Vinylux to be able to offer a more wider range. I'll still keep it because I do have clients that love the brand, but I'll continue buying MT to fill in the gaps.

Removal of Vinylux is difficult and in fact I end up removing it with Shellac wraps and acetone.
The other problem is the top coat durability as the nails look dull even after couple of days. Also my clients report that on big toes it rubs off in shoes and they have to repaint the toe nails. I do nice coats for full coverage, but it doesn't seem to make a difference.
To be honest, I am thinking of choosing another brand for regular mani/pedi treatments as Vinylux doesn't meet my client's needs.

I trialled it and dropped it. It is dull, so glad it's not just me!
It stained nails and it doesn't remove with non acetone remover.

I trialled it and dropped it. It is dull, so glad it's not just me!
It stained nails and it doesn't remove with non acetone remover.

I find when my clients come back after the week it's really dull... Why is this x

Removal of Vinylux is difficult and in fact I end up removing it with Shellac wraps and acetone.
The other problem is the top coat durability as the nails look dull even after couple of days. Also my clients report that on big toes it rubs off in shoes and they have to repaint the toe nails. I do nice coats for full coverage, but it doesn't seem to make a difference.
To be honest, I am thinking of choosing another brand for regular mani/pedi treatments as Vinylux doesn't meet my client's needs.

I find that mine looks a bit dull after a few days on my toes, but I just polish it up with a dry tissue and the shine comes back. Think it might be due to the shower gel I use.

No it causes bubbles. It doesnt need shaking x

Sent from my GT-I9195 using SalonGeek mobile app

Should you shake colour bottle or not ? Thanks x

Colour bottles need shaking, topcoat does not :)

I loved the idea of polishes matching the shellac colours, I guess nothing is ever perfect :(

I have a removal on an 80 odd year old lady tomorrow. .. with ridges in her nails and it's been on 7 WEEKS!!! uh oh... it's going to be horrendous isn't it? :( Xx

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

I have a removal on an 80 odd year old lady tomorrow. .. with ridges in her nails and it's been on 7 WEEKS!!! uh oh... it's going to be horrendous isn't it? :( Xx

Good luck lovely! Lol xx

I find if you hold polish remover over the nails for a few seconds and then use an orange stick to gently encourage it to lift is easiest

Good luck lovely! Lol xx

I find if you hold polish remover over the nails for a few seconds and then use an orange stick to gently encourage it to lift is easiest

Oh no :( I'm dreading it. She's a really poorly lady and one of my favourite clients and this will probably be her last time ever getting her nails done. I wanted it to be as relaxing as possible for her. It will probably stress her out :'(
I wanted her to be relaxed for when the hospice nurse comes round! Grrr bloody Vinylux lol
xxx

I'd be tempted to use a file :wink2:

Have you got any rough pads? I find this makes the biggest difference. Plastic backed ones are the best, but gauze also works.

I'd be tempted to use a file :wink2:

Have you got any rough pads? I find this makes the biggest difference. Plastic backed ones are the best, but gauze also works.

I do have some plastic backed pads actually. I'll try them. Not sure she'll be happy with me wrapping. :-/ xxx

Lol a file or orange wood stick!!! I find opi gelcolor easier to remove.:Scared:

My clients quite often remove their own nail polish I would hate them not to be able too!!

I echo everyone's sentiments here really! Very fast drying which is great the topcoat is lovely in that it's very forgiving!
I am one of the people Chickafish helped with application and I learnt to go lighter with my touch but with more polish. I helped but it's still a bit of a chore!

But that's about it.... As for the coverage - poor on quite a few colours- very sheer! Colour range- again very poor nearly all my clients are young or flamboyant types and the colours just aren't cutting it! They are too many variations of purple or red! Paradise collection was ghastly in vinylux as well! I don't like how the colours aren't an exact match to the shellac version!
Removal is tough I agree it needs a base coat really especially on toes!

I bought Morgan Taylor too alongside it and my clients choose one from that range nearly every time!!

I echo everyone's sentiments here really! Very fast drying which is great the topcoat is lovely in that it's very forgiving!
I am one of the people Chickafish helped with application and I learnt to go lighter with my touch but with more polish. I helped but it's still a bit of a chore!

But that's about it.... As for the coverage - poor on quite a few colours- very sheer! Colour range- again very poor nearly all my clients are young or flamboyant types and the colours just aren't cutting it! They are too many variations of purple or red! Paradise collection was ghastly in vinylux as well! I don't like how the colours aren't an exact match to the shellac version!
Removal is tough I agree it needs a base coat really especially on toes!

I bought Morgan Taylor too alongside it and my clients choose one from that range nearly every time!!

The fact that the color matches were often so far out was another deciding factor in switching my brand.

I must admit, I've had a few teething issues with the cuccio veneer as I'm so used to shellac. But myself and my clients feel it gives a better shine than shellac. You really do get true coverage in 2 thin coats (some colours would easily get away with one coat).

The normal polish is super, easier application and removal, dries almost as quick as Vinylux, and it removes so easy. Plus - the gel & polish color matches are pretty much exact!

Its a shame, so many clients know CND by name, and I really wanted to love it & use it. But in my opinion, it doesn't always live up to all the hype, and I am much more confident in my cuccio products.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using SalonGeek mobile app

The fact that the color matches were often so far out was another deciding factor in switching my brand.

I must admit, I've had a few teething issues with the cuccio veneer as I'm so used to shellac. But myself and my clients feel it gives a better shine than shellac. You really do get true coverage in 2 thin coats (some colours would easily get away with one coat).

The normal polish is super, easier application and removal, dries almost as quick as Vinylux, and it removes so easy. Plus - the gel & polish color matches are pretty much exact!

Its a shame, so many clients know CND by name, and I really wanted to love it & use it. But in my opinion, it doesn't always live up to all the hype, and I am much more confident in my cuccio products.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using SalonGeek mobile app

I totally get what you mean. I really wanted to love it. i love shellac and the customers know if as a reputable brand but Vinylux just doesn't cut it its dissapointing as i really wanted it to be as good as the hype. i also felt i was the only one who didn't really get on with it and everyone else totally loved it... it's reassuring to see other people who struggle i feel ok to admit it now loooooool!

I totally get what you mean. I really wanted to love it. i love shellac and the customers know if as a reputable brand but Vinylux just doesn't cut it its dissapointing as i really wanted it to be as good as the hype. i also felt i was the only one who didn't really get on with it and everyone else totally loved it... it's reassuring to see other people who struggle i feel ok to admit it now loooooool!

Worried. I will report bag WHEN I finally receive mine.....yawn!

Sent from my GT-I9195 using SalonGeek mobile app

Latest posts

Back