Anyone use gel polish over acrylic successfully?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heidinailz

You are only as good as your last set of nails.
Reaction score
Hi, I use Nsi balance gels for all of my clients, I have 2 who it just doesn't last the three weeks for, they could do with coming every two weeks,but...as all my other ladies come on a three week rota, it's a logistical nightmare! So... I'm on a quest to get nails to 'stay put' for three weeks on my two ladies...
I have sent them both away with a pink and white acrylic infil this time, both came back brilliantly intact, but, the whole reason I gave up pink and whites was the dreaded back fill....so, I was wondering if anyone uses gel mapping over acrylic successfully ?
I am currently sporting acrylic with 'cake pop' over the top, testing to see if this is an option.
I buffed the nail with a white block, then applied 2 thin coats of shellac, then top gel....
Reading on the forum, it seems I should have just 180 ed them for more adhesion ...
If anyone could offer any procedure advice, I will be your eternal friend xxx
Heidi x

Kapping!! Not mapping!! Damn predictor text lol

I successfully use L & P with Shellac or Artistic gel polish over. Ladies go 3-4 weeks. Do not have any problems.
Once my L&P has been applied &buffed. Cleanse to remove dust etc, then go straight onto 1st coat of colour. X

Thanks for that lysa.....may I ask what you use to buff your acrylic?

Also...sorry to ask another question, but if I navigate away from this thread.....how do I know if someone else has commented? Tia x

Yes I used Nsi acrylic then apply Nsi polish pro on the top. But make sure you charge for your extra time and product used.
I get bored myself so change it quite regularity but the clients wearing polish pro love it. And you can apply crystals and use glaze n go ontop of the polish pro to hold the crystals and it doesn't effect the polish at all. Which is quite nice.

Beauty at your finger tips!

Some brands do have problems with staying on acrylic without chipping, gel doesn't alway like to stick to acrylic.
We were trained in Hungary to use a gel top coat over the top of acrylic first and then apply the gel polish as it will stick to the gel top coat better than the acrylic.

Hope this helps
Xx

I use shellac and Gelish over hard gel and l&p acrylic enhancements with no problems at all, just finish nail without final white block buff and then wipe with your cleanser and then apply your gel polish of choice without base coat and then topcoat.. Done

Thanks nail pod xx
Do you ever use the hard coloured gels ? I have some but can never get a glossy shine unless I wipe the dispersion layer first before finish clear, but very offend this removes lots of the colour: ) ( on gel that is, not acrylic)

Thanks Jamie.... I currently have a hand of buffed and a hand of 180 gritted nails that I have applied shellac too....waiting to see what happens...so far so good xx

And thanks you to ( don't know how to navigate away to get your name) the lady who used shellac and gellish xx appreciate your time time in answering xxx

You can use the glaze n go on the gel I think it should be ok.
I am always doing wierd experiments with my products to see or test my own theories! So just try it !

I don't use their hard gel but the trainer does and she has that wonderful sea green and it's glossy so just try it out.

Beauty at your finger tips!

Latest posts

Back