Applying Clients own colour

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cosmicgirl2010

Reaction score
Hi, just wanted a little feedback, my client has asked me to apply her own colour for her and what would I charge for this ?
Does anyone else do this and do you think I should ? Im not happy about it as dont want to leave myself open to problems.
Thanks in advance;)

I would not do it it's way to risky.
You don't know the products
You don't know if she's done skin test and in my opinion it's not professional (hope that last bit doesn't sound too snotty)
also if you do it once they'll ask again and again hth Hun x

I agree with Vintage Cat. It's not professional and you'll end up doing it for all your clients!

Hi, just wanted a little feedback, my client has asked me to apply her own colour for her and what would I charge for this ?
Does anyone else do this and do you think I should ? Im not happy about it as dont want to leave myself open to problems.
Thanks in advance;)

Yeah this annoys me, how much is ....? Then they say well I have all the "stuff"!!!!
Personally I wouldn't, I'm sure you use decent brands and the client potentially doesn't, so you can't guarantee how colour etc will come out.
You should stick with your first gut instinct, don't be bullied - sooo many clients will try it!
:-D xox

Hi,
Yes I agree with you both I just needed someone to back me up with my thoughts, plus I have just spoken to my insurance and they have agreed with my thoughts on it.
I ALWAYS do a skin test, and get clients to sign, also I dont know the product she is using, if she gets funny then thats her problem.

I'm not sure if it's true...

But I would just tell them that unless you use your professional products your not covered by insurance, that's what I told a rather persistent client the other day

Oops too slow lol

I'm not sure if it's true...

But I would just tell them that unless you use your professional products your not covered by insurance, that's what I told a rather persistent client the other day

Yes Im going to tell her that after checking with my insurance Im not insured ;)
Thanks

Omg that's like going to a Mac make up counter saying can you use my Avon make up on me please!! How rude are some people !

Agree with everyone, you would have to check with you insurance because I know mine does not cover it.
Clients like this I really dislike, talk about taking the Michael ! Lol, O yes of course horrible shop brands are as good as professional colours..... Not :) xx

I wear shellac now but before that when I wore normal polish, I would always take my own polish with me. I'd pay the same as normal and wouldn't expect a discount but I really don't see the problem. If I have a favourite colour then that's the colour I want to wear!

Omg that's like going to a Mac make up counter saying can you use my Avon make up on me please!! How rude are some people !

Haha this makes me laugh sooooo true! :)

I used to do it and I charged the same.
If the client wanted their own polish that was up to them but my price for a manicure stayed the same.
A lot of ladies are happy to paint their own toe nails but not finger nails and still want to match, so I don't see it as a problem. I would always point out to them that if they wanted I could get them a cnd polish in that colour and apart from that, I left it up to them.
I keep saying this over and over again, the client is paying for my expertise and my time. What my products cost is a very small part of that.
I expertly apply polish, spray tans, waxing treatments etc The bulk of my out lay is for training not products. I know just as you know that our products are of a better quality then the ones they buy from boots (or anywhere else) but if they want their product, that's fine.
Quiet frankly, it's their loss but if they can't understand that, I'm not going to turn the client away for it.
Any client who said to me is your price less if I bring my own polish? would get told. No, my polish is a complementary extra on the service.

I think taking your own polish or favourite make up is a little bit different to taking your own colour. Colour is a chemical, I think it would be the same sort of thing as a customer bringing you nail geeks their own rio gel polish or acrylic system.

I wouldn't do it. I don't know what the outcome of a box colour would be. Does it contain metallic salts? Would the customer bring the appropriate shade for their hair or would they bring me a blonde colour when they have dark hair?

And if it was a pro colour where have they purchased it? Is it legitimate? Flea bay?

Oh and of course the whole skin test situation.

It would be a big no no from me. x

Last edited:
I think taking your own polish or favourite make up is a little bit different to taking your own colour. Colour is a chemical, I think it would be the same sort of thing as a customer bringing you nail geeks there own rio gel polish or acrylic system.

I wouldn't do it. I don't know what the outcome of a box colour would be. Does it contain metallic salts? Would the customer bring the appropriate shade for their hair or would they bring me a blonde colour when they have dark hair?

And if it was a pro colour where have they purchased it? Is it legitimate? Flea bay?

Oh and of course the whole skin test situation.

It would be a big no no from me. x
My bad I thought this was about polish:smack: that's what happens when I'm interrupted while I'm reading, sorry ladies (and gents)

My bad I thought this was about polish:smack: that's what happens when I'm interrupted while I'm reading, sorry ladies (and gents)
Haha I did exactly the same Susie! I thought it was about nail polish.
If it was a hair colour then no, I wouldn't apply it.

Simple answer - no ! Agree with all the other geeks !!!

I am asked this occasionly and my answer is always a big fat NO!!
I always say im not covered by my insurance!

Latest posts

Back