Are electric files safe to use if you have training?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mitsy

Reaction score
I've just seen a course that Pronails are doing on how to use an electric file. There is an article in a magazine saying that they are safe to use on clients and won't damage the natural nail provided you have the right training. Do you think this is true?

I think they're safe if you've been trained and use them correctly. xx

Hi Misty, I am a Pronails Geek and have had training in the use of an electric file. I find that it definitely speeds up the process of removing product from the natural nail if used with care but you will find loads of geeks on this site who are not happy with the use of efiles and they are often referred to as drills. Each to their own opinion however. The course which is offered with Pronails is very reasonably priced, however, if you do a search and type in 'electric files' or 'drills' or type in my username and the heading 'Drills, drills, drills, Eek!' you will find a thread which I started with plenty to say on the subject. Lots of differing opinions on that thread which you may find useful and be able to form your own opinion. HTH.

hey there, i have had training and have an electric file in my kit, but to be honest i really dont use it!, it just sits there collecting dust. most of my clients say to me " you dont really need to use that do you? ive heard such terrible things about them" but when you explain to them that if you are trained and use your training well they dont mind and put a bit of trust in you to use it , but like i said i really dont use it. good to have tho that way you have the choice to use it or not to.

Although i dont know if you have seen it on living tv- extreme makeover, a lady had nail enhancements put on, l&p and they showed you the technician doing them using an e file on her natural nails- i almost fell off my sofa squeeling about it!

I suppose they are safe in the hands of a tech trained properly to use one.

the problem might be this... we all (hopefully) educate our clients to the dangers of NSS salons and MMA etc, we explain to them that the NSS use e-files/drills to 'rough-up' the nail plate.... then we go to use an e-file on their nails :eek:
i personally wouldn't want one used on my nails if my tech had just been educating me in NSS and e-files.

if you're using a decent product it shouldn't take long to hand buff/file during rebalance etc.

nss = non standard salon, normally indicating either very poor hygiene or MMA or both :eek:

Hi Mitsy

You are probably only about 5 or 10 minutes away from us.

If you come along to the Open Day on the 27th Nov, I will show you the filing machines and how to work with them safetly and efficiently. You can even have a play with all the different ones if you like. We are demonstrating all day, so you can pop in any time.

You can see more info about the open day on our website

regards
Gina :)

perfect pinkies said:
Although i dont know if you have seen it on living tv- extreme makeover, a lady had nail enhancements put on, l&p and they showed you the technician doing them using an e file on her natural nails- i almost fell off my sofa squeeling about it!

I think this can't be generalized, there are some bits perfectly safe to use on the natural nail. I use the undernail cleaner at low RPM's around the cuticles to remove the cuticle build up without causing any harm. I bet a lot of bad techs damage the natural nails just using hand files...

many fear what they don't understand, e-files (or as some call them DRILLS are very safe) in the right educated hands, i find i have specific uses for drills, but prefer to hand finish all my work, i find this helps me "feel" what i am doing, there is a time and place for everything.......

they are very safe in properly trained hands, i use an e-file mainly for french rebalances and have never harmed any clients with it, although have had clients from the occasional tech with fings of fire underneath each cuticle. i always hand finish as ive been taught it can create lifting in the freshly applied l&p as its still curing and doing its molecular thingy and if the applications good then its a quick buff anyway. it sure makes french rebalancing easier for me, no more bleeding fingers!( mine of course!)

Latest posts

Back